Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2019 Tax Organizer

SBTS
Level 3

Hello:

I am new to Lacerte and I am trying to generate the 2019 tax organizer based on the 2018 tax data.  2019 Lacerte says that I need to generate the 2019 organizer from the 2018 Lacerte software.

But I did not use Lacerte for 2018 taxes.  Please advise.

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

I would do the 2018 conversion, but as stated earlier, the conversion is not perfect.

You should have followed these steps: 

(A) Convert prior software to Lacerte 2018

(B) Spend time to review the Lacerte data for  2018 to (a) get familiar with the program and (b) review state return(s) and (c) check depreciation. At least for the most complicated returns. 

(C) After a quick review, go to Screen 3 and look for a check mark, right above the header for Organizer Miscellaneous - remove that check mark 

(D) Proforma from the 2018 program to 2019, at least the reviewed clients. 

(E) Edit settings and produce the Organizer from the 2018 program. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
abctax55
Level 15

You can't.

Your option would be to contact Intuit to see if they'll cut you a deal on the 2018 software, then enter each client's info into the 2018 software (which, would be a good idea anyway - that's my M.O. with any new client and then generate organizers that would show the prior year info (which, to me is invaluable).    

OR, if you can get the 2018 software at a reasonable price - you could use it to generate blank, generic organizers (they wouldn't have prior year numbers tho...)

If neither of the above work,  CFS TaxTools and The Tax Book both have generic organizers.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
SBTS
Level 3

Thank you for a prompt response.  I do have access to the 2018 Lacerte software and installed it but the data is in the 2019 software.  I have close to 400 clients, entering them manually in 2018 Lacerte is possible but going to be very time consuming as I give an organizer to every client.  Are you suggesting I ask Intuit to help me with importing my 2018 tax clients to Lacerte 2018?

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
I'm just presenting options. Intuit/Lacerte 'can' convert files from other software. But it isnt a perfect process (for ANY software provider); there is a LOT of double checking & verifying that should be done. And, IMHO, it's awfully late to be doing that. Perhaps your 400 returns aren't that complicated tho.
"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
George4Tacks
Level 15

I would do the 2018 conversion, but as stated earlier, the conversion is not perfect.

You should have followed these steps: 

(A) Convert prior software to Lacerte 2018

(B) Spend time to review the Lacerte data for  2018 to (a) get familiar with the program and (b) review state return(s) and (c) check depreciation. At least for the most complicated returns. 

(C) After a quick review, go to Screen 3 and look for a check mark, right above the header for Organizer Miscellaneous - remove that check mark 

(D) Proforma from the 2018 program to 2019, at least the reviewed clients. 

(E) Edit settings and produce the Organizer from the 2018 program. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
SBTS
Level 3

Thank you everyone for their respective inputs.  After a 2 hr 15 min hold with Lacerte customer service, we were able to (re)convert the data and migrate it this time to 2018 Lacerte software which will now allow us to generate the 2019 organizers.  Although the wait was long, support was knowledgeable and made it worth the wait. 

Thank you again to everyone and have a great season!

0 Cheers