cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Created with Sketch. See how your firm can prepare for COVID-19 Learn more

2018 E File Critical Diagnostic says Schedule 1 is in draft form???

Trying to E-File a 2018 return and get a "critical diagnostic" that tells me Schedule 1 is in draft form.  I did many 2018 returns last year, why am I getting this diagnostic now??   I can't file the 2018 because of this diagnostic.

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
20 Replies 20
Highlighted
Level 14

Intuit broke something. One poster said to disable the efile error checking and efile away.

ex-AllStar
Highlighted
Employee
Employee

Dear sjrcpa,

Intuit did not break the Sch 1. The IRS mandated changes to the forms be made and new allowance of calculations for the schema (the computer language used to convert the input to the systems electronically to be read) and once the updates and forms are released and no longer in draft they will be released. 

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15

So at the end of April, they changed something and put a form that virtually every return needs back in draft form?

Oh, this is for 2018...I misread....

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

What about returns that are not impacted by those line items?

Luckily, the only one we had done thus far was an amended return, which has to be filed on paper, and we could easily remove the watermark for "Do not file" with a PDF editor.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.
Highlighted
Level 15

@MirageTax I guess @sjrcpa and I and many other users missed the Alert to let us know that such a change happened. I am sorely sorry for having post the same thing "Lacerte broke it" on many posts. I hope you can go to all of them and share the truth. How about the instructions for various forms (C, E, 6251, ....) also being in draft form? Is it possible that something could be posted so at least a few users might also know what you know?

Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today. — Herman Wouk
Highlighted
Level 2

MirageTax, sorry to have started another post on this tonight, as my searches brought up NOTHING about this.  But this is a pretty big issue, and what are we supposed to do with our 2018 files in the meantime?  Just wait til whenever?  Will disabling error checking and efiling work to get a transmission through?

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

@taxed2max Give that a try.  It was reported that it works in PS.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Cheers
Highlighted

Yes.  Disable the efile diagnostics and you will be able to submit the 2018 return.  I have submitted 2 tax returns for 2018 that had the "critical diagnostic" referring to Schedule 1.  Both of those returns were accepted by IRS.

Highlighted
Level 1

Thank you for this constructive advise. That indeed let me efile the tax returns.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 2

just to follow up, that yes this works.  Disabled error checking and the return got accepted.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

Yes. Sometimes there are sort of bogus error messages. You are sure the return is correct, but Lacerte thinks there is a problem. This allows it to go through. IRS or State may still reject, but you can override the Lacerte wall.

Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today. — Herman Wouk
Highlighted
Employee
Employee

Because of the extenders information from the IRS Lacerte had to pull the Sch 1 till it is released for E-file and once it is the program will update for E-file.

MirageTax

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 14

Would have been nice to have this as a big announcement/alert. Did you notice how many people posted here about this issue? Today is the first day I saw an Intuit response about the issue.

ex-AllStar
Highlighted
Level 15

Did I ever mention that communication was not Intuit's strongest trait? 

Wear a mask - the grandma you save could be your own.
Highlighted
Level 1

When is this going to get corrected? We have clients that have to get the 2018 e-filed immediately to hopefully be on the list for the stimulus check. This should be a top priority. 

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

@mlrcpa51 wrote:

When is this going to get corrected? We have clients that have to get the 2018 e-filed immediately to hopefully be on the list for the stimulus check. This should be a top priority. 

The returns were due a year ago.  Now suddenly it becomes an emergency?  Besides, if they don't get a check now, they will get a credit on their 2020 tax return which they evidently will file sometime in 2022.

Wear a mask - the grandma you save could be your own.
Highlighted
Level 1

Yes, it's a priority now because of the stimulus check per recommendation of the IRS, as many people did not have a filing requirement.

Intuit is clearly lacking priority here.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

@mmts and others -

If there was not filing requirement, submitting a return now is not useful. Wait for IRS to come up with their quicky online filing that will include banking info. Filing now will NOT include the bank info, unless there is a refund. 

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know

and

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus

Each will be updated as things firm up.

KEEP CALM AND WAIT

Highlighted
Level 2

This topic doesn't make much sense to me either.  Prior to the recent update which put the Schedule 1 back into draft form, the problem was the Form 8615.  Yet, if the return was filed timely, it could have been e-filed?  What this is telling me is that certain returns might need to be amended with the change currently in the works?

I have had this same discussion with Lacerte a number of times, as I have been trying to file some old returns for months and regularly ask when this update is coming so I can do so.  No certain answer.  Yet the IRS is now sending out notices about returns that are delinquent.  So I can't print returns (without a watermark) so I can paper file them, nor can I e-file.  I asked this same question to another CPA who uses another program and she said she does not have the same issue with her program.  How can this be?

Highlighted
Level 15

The draft forms are pending updates by the IRS for extenders.  Believe the IRS was going to finalize these later in the season but these will clearly not be a priority now.  If you go to the IRS' own website, you will find that, for example, Schedule 1 for 2018 is in draft.  This problem, therefore, is universal and not just with Intuit.

Having said that, if your clients' returns are not affected by these updates, you can ignore the CD and the returns can still e-filed.  If you prefer to paper file, you can remove the watermark with a PDF editor (just did one the other day).

0 Cheers