Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to amend a federal return, one state return,(other preparer) but file an additional second original state return (prepared by me). Can I do this at the same time?

WAAZCPA2762
Level 1

New tax client's prior year (2017) Individual Federal and resident state return were filed by someone else.  I was preparing taxpayers 2018 Individual returns and discovered some PY errors and that a non-resident state return had not been prepared at all (taxpayer received State K1 and does need to file the state return).  Before preparing the 2018 Federal, resident and non-resident state returns I wanted to amend 2017 federal and resident state returns and file the original nonresident state return.  Can I do this at one time?  Or do I need to file the amendments and the original non resident return separately?  if separately, how do I do that without being assessed rep fees more than once (I know and understand there is another fee for the extra state return). 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

You can do it all in one Lacerte file. You may be printing federal and states sepafately. 1040X needs to be paper filed. Probably the state amended return does, too. If the nonresident state is efileable on its own (nonpiggyback) you can efile it. All of this sounds like an after Oct 15 project.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
sjrcpa
Level 15

You can do it all in one Lacerte file. You may be printing federal and states sepafately. 1040X needs to be paper filed. Probably the state amended return does, too. If the nonresident state is efileable on its own (nonpiggyback) you can efile it. All of this sounds like an after Oct 15 project.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
WAAZCPA2762
Level 1
I would wait till after 10/15, as client only gave me their data last week, but there are carry forwards (passive activity K1) going into 2018 and I wanted to get their 2018 filed on time.  To do so I need to correct 2017.  I guess I can just override the Prior year info in 2018, but the non resident state for 2017 needs to be filed and I was just wondering if I could efile the amended returns and the original non resident state at the same time.
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
1040X is paper.
You need to research if the state(s) you are doing can be efiled. e.g. here is CA https://accountants-community.intuit.com/articles/1859786-ca-individual-amended-return-e-file-availa...
Here is a listing of piggyback states https://accountants-community.intuit.com/articles/1861800-ef-atlas-federal-state-ef-method-standalon...
My guess is that since you are worried about another REP, there is no extension. If you think the client will owe any of these entities, give them an address for each and tell them to send money.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
WAAZCPA2762
Level 1
client is getting additional refund from all 3, does not owe.
0 Cheers
WAAZCPA2762
Level 1
Let me rephrase. has refunds for 2017, but owes 2018; however 2017 refunds will cover whats owed for 2018.  So I really want to file by tomorrow.
0 Cheers