Attempting to launch the Intuit ProConnect Lacerte Document Management System or Intuit ProConnect ProSeries Document Management System (DMS), either through the DMS icon on the Desktop or by printing a return to DMS from the tax program, and you receive an error message: "DMS has encountered a program error. Try closing and restarting DMS. If the problem persists, please visit the tech support center."
After you close this error, you may receive another: "DMS was not able to initialize properly. Please reinstall DMS. If you recently installed DMS you may need to reboot your computer."
Check Windows Compatibility Settings:
This often has to do with the compatibility settings for either DMS, Intuit ProConnect Lacerte Tax, Intuit ProConnect ProSeries Professional Edition, Intuit ProConnect ProSeries Basic Edition.
- Right-click the DMS icon on the Desktop and select Properties.
- Click the Compatibility tab.
- Make sure that Run this program in compatibility mode for: is not checked. If it does, uncheck it.
- Make sure the box for Run this program as an administrator is also unchecked.
- Click the OK button.
- Attempt to open or print to DMS.
If you still get the error when printing to DMS from Lacerte or ProSeries, perform the steps again for the Lacerte Tax, ProSeries Professional Edition, or ProSeries Basic Edition icons on your Desktop.
Verify All updates have been installed:
- Verify DMS is up to date. For more information see: How to Check for Updates in DMS
- Ensure that all Microsoft Windows Updates have been successfully installed. For More information see: Windows Update: FAQ
Repair Install DMS:
This can also be caused by a corrupted or damaged installation of the DMS application. Completing a Repair Installation of DMS can resolve this error message.
Windows 10, Windows 8/8.1, and Windows 7:
- Open the Windows Control Panel
- Click on Uninstall a program
- Click on Lacerte DMS or ProSeries DMS
- Click on the Change button.
- Select Repair and click the Next button.
- Click the Next button again to complete the DMS Repair installation.
- Open DMS again. No error should occur.