This article will help you resolve the following error that displays when you are opening DMS or printing to DMS:
"DMS has encountered a program error. Try closing and restarting DMS. If the problem persists, please visit the tech support center." often followed by "DMS was not able to initialize properly. Please reinstall DMS. If you recently installed DMS you may need to reboot your computer."
Step 1: Check windows compatibility settings
This often has to do with the compatibility settings for either DMS, Lacerte Tax or ProSeries Professional Edition. To check the compatibility settings:
- Right-click the DMS icon on the Desktop and select Properties.
- Click the Compatibility tab.
- Under Compatibility mode section make sure Run this program in compatibility mode for is not checked.
- Under the Settings section Make sure the box for Run this program as an administrator is unchecked.
- Click OK.
- Attempt to open or print to DMS.
If you still get the error when printing to DMS from Lacerte or ProSeries, perform the steps again for the Lacerte Tax, ProSeries Professional Edition icons on your Desktop.
If the issue continues after checking for each software continue to Step 2.
Step 2: Verify all updates have been installed:
- Verify DMS is up to date. For more information see: How to check for updates in DMS
- Ensure that all Microsoft Windows Updates have been successfully installed. For more information see: Windows Update: FAQ
If the issue continues after checking for each software continue to Step 3.
Step 3: Repair the DMS program
This can also be caused by a corrupted or damaged installation of the DMS application. Completing a Repair Installation of DMS can resolve this error message without impacting your database or documents.
- Close DMS and all other Intuit products.
- In the Windows Search bar type Control Panel.
- Choose Uninstall a program.
- On the list find either Lacerte DMS or ProSeries DMS depending on your version.
- Right-click on your version of DMS and choose Uninstall.
- On the Welcome screen choose Repair and then Next.
- If asked if you want to install the DMS toolbar click Next to continue to repair.
- Click Finish when complete.
- Open DMS again and try again.
If the error continues then DMS will need to be completely removed and reinstalled see Perform a clean install of DMS for instructions.