Starting in tax year 2018:
The Lacerte program will take the amount from the W-2 Box 12 code L and report it on the 1040, line 1 as income if a 2106 is required based on Screen 30, Vehicle/Employee Business Expenses (2106). Any reimbursement amount that is greater than the expense, will flow to the 1040 line 1 as additional income.
To link the W-2 Box 12 Code L amounts to the correct expenses on the 2106:
- Go to screen Screen 10, Wages, Salaries, Tips.
- Scroll down to Box 12.
- In the field If 'L' above, employee business expense schedule name or number (code 53) click in the drop-down menu and choose the activity number found on screen 30.
If the amount is not flowing correctly:
- Go to Screen 30, Vehicle/Employee Business Expense
- In the Vehicle/Employee Business Expense (2106) section review, the Form (Ctrl+T) entered.
- This must be Form 2106, not Schedule C, for the expenses to be included as income.
- Make sure there is an entry in the field 1=qualified performing artist, 2=handicapped 3=fee=based government official.
What if my taxpayer is not required to file Form 2106?
- Go to Screen 14.1 Miscellaneous Income.
- Choose the Alimony and Other Income section.
- Enter the amount in the Other income (Ctrl+E) field.
- On Screen 10, Wages, Salaries, Tips the field If 'L' above, employee business expense schedule name or number (code 53) needs to indicate the activity number of the 2106 on Screen 30, Vehicle/Employee Business Expenses (2106). This links reimbursement income to the 2106 where the expenses entered can offset it.
- In Screen 30, Vehicle/Employee Business Expense, the field Form (Ctrl+T) (code13) must be marked Form 2106, not the Schedule C, for the expenses to be included as income.
- If you do not have to file Form 2106, you can list the type and amount of each expense on the dotted line next to line 21. This can be entered in Screen 14, Miscellaneous Income, under the section Alimony and Other Income, in the field Other Income (Ctrl+E) (code 11 TP/ Code 61 SP). Entering the amount here will not change the flow of the W-2 Code L amount to line 7, instead it will reduce the amount when calculating the Total Income. This information is provided on page 11 of the Schedule A instructions.