How do I make/include payment information for an extension (Form 4868)?
- Go to Screen 9, Extensions (4868, 2350).
- Enter a 1 in, 1 = automatic extension, 2 = blank (MANDATORY).
- Enter your amount in, Total tax liability (-1=none) [O] and Total payments [O].
- Enter your amount in, Form 4868 payment (defaults to amount due) [O].
Note: When electronically filing a group of extensions, Lacerte will transmit the balance due if no override is entered on Screen 9, Extensions.
To e-file electronic payments with extension:
- Go to Screen 3, Miscellaneous Information/Direct Deposit
- Scroll down to the Direct Deposit of Refund / Electronic Payment section
- Check the box, Electronic payment of tax due with first extension
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q. Can I e-file the Federal extension and mail the payment?
A. Yes, you can e-file the extension and mail the payment by check or money order. Per the 4868 form instruction,
- When paying by check or money order with Form 4868, use the appropriate address in the middle column under Where To File a Paper Form 4868 on page 4.
- Make your check or money order payable to the United States Treasury. Do not send cash.
- Write your SSN, daytime phone number, and 2016 Form 4868 on your check or money order.
- Do not staple or attach your payment to Form 4868.
Note. If you e-file Form 4868 and mail a check or money order to the IRS for payment, use a completed paper Form 4868 as a voucher