Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apply overpayment to estimated tax on 1040X amended return

Intuit Help

Apply overpayment to estimated tax on 1040X amended return

Follow these steps to apply an overpayment on Form 1040X, line 23, to next year's estimated tax:

  1. Go to the Input Return tab.
  2. On the left-side menu, select Miscellaneous Forms.
  3. Click on General Information and Federal (1040X).
  4. Scroll down to the Miscellaneous Information section.
  5. Check the box Apply 1040X overpayment to 20YY estimated tax.
  6. Scroll down to the Federal Income Tax Return section.
  7. Enter any amount from the original return in Overpayment applied to 20YY estimated tax.
  8. On the left-side menu, select Payments, Penalties & Extensions.
  9. Click on the 20YY Estimates (1040-ES) screen.
  10. Remove any entry in Estimate options (Click on arrow to select from list) [Override].
  11. Enter the appropriate Amount of overpayment to apply to 20YY.

Related Topics

Amending an individual return (1040X) originally prepared in ProConnect Tax Online
Frequently Asked Questions - Amended Returns
1040X Amended and Refundable Credits

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Labels (1)