Follow these steps to apply an overpayment on Form 1040X, line 23, to next year's estimated tax:
- Go to the Input Return tab.
- On the left-side menu, select Miscellaneous Forms.
- Click on General Information and Federal (1040X).
- Scroll down to the Miscellaneous Information section.
- Check the box Apply 1040X overpayment to 20YY estimated tax.
- Scroll down to the Federal Income Tax Return section.
- Enter any amount from the original return in Overpayment applied to 20YY estimated tax.
- On the left-side menu, select Payments, Penalties & Extensions.
- Click on the 20YY Estimates (1040-ES) screen.
- Remove any entry in Estimate options (Click on arrow to select from list) [Override].
- Enter the appropriate Amount of overpayment to apply to 20YY.