Why isn't Form 8962, Part 5 generating?
Why isn't Form 8962, line 9 checking 'Yes'?
- Form 8962, Part 5 will not generate if the Alternative Marriage Worksheets do not reduce the excess APTC that must be repaid.
- Form 8962, line 9 will not check 'Yes' if Part 5 is blank and Part 4 is not being complete.
- The Alternative Marriage Calculation is not used if one half of the household income is greater than 400% of the Federal Poverty Income Limit on line 2 of Worksheet I and Worksheet III.
Per the 8962, Part 5 Worksheet V instructions from Pub 974:
"Is line 13, column A, more than line 13, column B?
No. The alternative calculation does not reduce your excess APTC. Leave Form 8962, Part 5, blank.
- If you did not complete Part 4 of Form 8962, check the "No" box on line 9 and continue to Form 8962, line 10. If you are required to use lines 12 through 23 of Form 8962, enter the amounts from lines 1 through 12 of Worksheet 2 in the Form 8962 instructions on the lines for the corresponding months and columns on Form 8962.
- If you complete Part 4 of Form 8962, check the "No" box on line 10. Enter the amounts from line 1 though 12 of Worksheet 2 in the Form 8962 instructions on the lines for the corresponding months and columns on Form 8962, lines 12 through 23."
Taxpayer and Spouse household income was $80,000, they were married in September of 2014 and the Spouse has excess APTC.
Manually completing the Worksheet III, IV and V, for the spouse:
- Alternative family size = 1
- Household income (Form 8962, line 3 = 80000 divided by 2) = 40000
- Alternative federal poverty line for line 1 alt family size = 11490
- Alt household income as a percentage of federal poverty line = 40000 / 11490 = 348
- Alternative applicable figure from table 2 = 0.0950
- Multiply line 2 by line 5 = 40000 * 0.0950 = 3800
- Alt monthly contribution: Divide line 6 by 12 = 3800 / 12 = 317
- Alternative start month = 1
- Alternative stop month = 9
Since all months are the same, we only need to complete for the month of January (Feb-December will all be the same):
- Column A Form 1095A, column A = 250
- Column B Form 1095-A, column B = 225
- Column C Worksheet III, line 7 = 317
- Column D Subtract col C from col B = 0
- Column E Smaller of column A or column D = 0
Column A. Complete column A below ONLY for the months you have entries in column E of Worksheet II and / or Worksheet IV. Leave column A blank for all other months.
There is no amount in column E of Worksheet IV so column A of Worksheet V will be blank.
Column B. Complete column B for any month you have an entry in Column A.
There are no entries in column A, so column B will also be blank.
Line 14. Is line 13, Column A more than line 13, column B?
No ? The alternative calculation does not reduce your excess APTC. Leave Form 8962, Part 5 blank.