Before you start:
- Calculate all client files in your original program.
- Remove any locks.
- Remove any passwords
- Remove any overrides made on forms which create new input fields (example: input fields that do not exist on forms by default)
- Individual (1040)
- Create a new folder on your C: drive named ConversionData before you begin the backup process (e.g., C:ConversionData).
- Open the TaxSlayer program and select 7. Configuration.
- Select 5. System / Network Configuration Menu.
- Look at 1. Are You Using a Network?
- If it is YES then note the path in 4. Server Location.
- If NO, then select 0. Exit, then 6. Path Menu, and note the path in 1. Installation Path.
- Close the TaxSlayer program.
- Browse to the directory found in step 4 above for your TaxSlayer program. The default location is: C:TaxSlayer2018Net.
- Select the DATA folder, right-click and choose Copy.
- Browse to C:ConversionData.
- Right-click and choose Paste.
- Open C:ConversionData to view the files that have been backed up.
- Open the DATA folder.
- You should see the same contents as the folders in Step 7 above. The file names inside will be long combinations of letters and numbers.
What items will be converted?
The main purpose of this conversion is to get your data ready for the following tax year. Therefore, viewing a Form 1040 will not display the same results that had been filed. The conversion is very limited and includes only the basic information in the following PDF document.