Before you start:
- Calculate all client files in your original program.
- Remove any locks.
- Remove any passwords
- Remove overrides made on forms which create new input fields (i.e. input fields that do no exist on forms by default).
- Individual (1040)
- Create a new folder on your C: drive named ConversionData before you begin the backup process (e.g., C:ConversionData).
- Browse to the installation directory of your TaxAct program. The default location is: C:TaxACTTaxACT 2018 Preparer's Edition.
- Open the Client Data folder.
- Highlight all files ending with .ta8. (Your computer settings may be hiding extensions, so the files may appear with the client name and have a Tax ACT icon.)
- Right-click and choose Copy.
- Browse to C:ConversionData.
- Right-click and choose Paste.
Open C:ConversionData to view the files that have been backed up. A valid TaxACT backup contains files with an extension of .ta8. You will have one file for every client you are submitting.
What items will be converted?
The main purpose of this conversion is to get your data ready for the following tax year. Therefore, viewing a Form 1040 will not display the same results that had been filed. The conversion is very limited and includes only the basic information in the following PDF document.