What is the quickest way to backup a Document Management System (DMS) database before doing a repair (Database Maintenance)?
The DMS Database Maintenance (DBRepair.exe) scans all database files in the repair process, not the Detail folder.
The following steps will guide you through the process of using Windows to create a quick back up of your DMS database files before you run a repair:
- Browse to the directory where the DMS database is kept.
- Note: If unsure where your database resides, look at Current Database Path at the very bottom of the program window.
- In the folder where your database resides, select all the files ending in; .DAT, .BLB and .IDX.
- Go to the Edit menu and select Copy.
- Create a new folder on the root of your C: drive and name it DMSBACKUP.
- Open the C:DMSBACKUP folder and press CTRL+V to paste the database files into the folder.
When the copying process is complete, you now have a backup of the DMS database files that the Repair might affect.
Note: This is not a complete backup; no documents are being backed up. It is only to provide recovery if there is a problem with the repair process. For a complete backup, you may also copy the Detail subfolder but please be aware that the Detail folder is often quite large.