dascpa's Posts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dascpa's Posts

In my experience the IRS is extremely slow at posting and matching corrected W-2's, 1099's etc. Sometimes this causes a mismatch letter, other times it doesn't. The extra brokerage account is happen... See more...
In my experience the IRS is extremely slow at posting and matching corrected W-2's, 1099's etc. Sometimes this causes a mismatch letter, other times it doesn't. The extra brokerage account is happening more and more as clients seem to have 2-10-20 brokerage accounts for whatever unknown reason. I typically add with the reason for the amended return the brokerage house name and account number of the new account, or the name and EIN of the new K-1 or similar. 
Route sales and route businesses are actually more common than most people know.  If you've ever been in a grocery store or Walmart and watch the people stocking the shelves during the day, typically... See more...
Route sales and route businesses are actually more common than most people know.  If you've ever been in a grocery store or Walmart and watch the people stocking the shelves during the day, typically they're route salesman (sorry, person) for a brand (Pepperidge Farm, Planters, bread, etc.). The route itself is an intangible asset like customer lists, goodwill, etc. Therefore the sale is treated the same way.  Yes to Schedule 4797 and then P.S. will have it flow to the proper forms from there.
Both depreciation and amortization are "allowed or allowable", therefore you should consider the 15 year property fully amortized.
And who do you expect will read these notes? The IRS?  The software under Forms has Preparer Notes, Misc Stmt and Additional Info.  go all the way to the right in Open Forms.
And one more reason why I let clients pay their own taxes. I don't want the responsibility for screw-ups.
The days would only be counted on the Federal Information Worksheet if part-year residents. If nonresidents then days don't matter on that form. Certain states, like California ask you the number of ... See more...
The days would only be counted on the Federal Information Worksheet if part-year residents. If nonresidents then days don't matter on that form. Certain states, like California ask you the number of days you were in that state. Otherwide not sure where your more than 365 comes into play.  And what aobut leap years.....
If you're requesting a 104 0 extension then you have to file 4868 either on paper or elecrronically. If you owe, you pay with the form.  If you don't owe you don't pay.  Also note whether your state ... See more...
If you're requesting a 104 0 extension then you have to file 4868 either on paper or elecrronically. If you owe, you pay with the form.  If you don't owe you don't pay.  Also note whether your state has its own extension form or accepts the Federal filing. Every state that has taxes has its own rules.
Why would depreciation continue on a property the taxpayer doesn't own?  This sounds like an installment sale in the prior year (I hope Form 6252 was filed).  The property should have been disposed w... See more...
Why would depreciation continue on a property the taxpayer doesn't own?  This sounds like an installment sale in the prior year (I hope Form 6252 was filed).  The property should have been disposed when sold so it should not appear this year.  The installment sale for capital gain and interest income should be the only thing reported this year.
Please don't SHOUT your message.  Also, please give more of a description of the question.  Not enough to go on.
Not an unusual occurrence. But assuming there is no "business of real estate" the first question is what does "invested in a building" have to do with "selling the house"? Second, every partner "mad... See more...
Not an unusual occurrence. But assuming there is no "business of real estate" the first question is what does "invested in a building" have to do with "selling the house"? Second, every partner "made" 29,000. What does "made" mean?  Is that cash flow which is irrelvant to the taxation of is it net profit? If the 1099-S was only in your client's SSN then you need to show the sales price reflective of that. Otherwise the IRS matching program will send a letter saying we have this and you show that. What I do in the 8949 description is to report 33.333% ownership in 123 Main St..., proper purchase date, proper sale date. In the sales price column I put the entire contract price to match the 1099-S.  In the cost basis column I create a supporting schedule showing purchase price, purchase capitalizeable settlement costs, improvements, sale settlement costs and then a line to net out the other 2/3 ownership. In this example and assuming no other costs I would have $300,000 SP, $271,000 cost for a net profit of $29,000.  
Not a business - so everyone who does a one-off service gets out of self-employment tax?  The issue is was it for services rendered, not whether it's a business. If I receive a commission/referral ... See more...
Not a business - so everyone who does a one-off service gets out of self-employment tax?  The issue is was it for services rendered, not whether it's a business. If I receive a commission/referral fee from my realtor for referring a client, a commission is a Sch C item but I'm not in the business of referring clients so it's other income not subject to SE tax. For $1,400 at probably minimum wage this person worked ~ 100 hours. That's self-employment income.
If an NEC and she performed services why would it be other income? It should be on a Schedule C subject to self-employment tax.  Should have been a W-2 but most schools today seem to do it as a 1099-... See more...
If an NEC and she performed services why would it be other income? It should be on a Schedule C subject to self-employment tax.  Should have been a W-2 but most schools today seem to do it as a 1099-NEC. And why isn't it right that she pays tax.  I pay tax, so do you. She performed services for a price. Life lesson learned.  
If she is a SMLLC then yes since that entity is a disregarded entity.  If no then it would go onto it's own 1065.
I would get a copy for my own file documentation.  I would also explore the reason for the POA. Unless you know all the parties anyone could say they have POA and then direct a refund into their own... See more...
I would get a copy for my own file documentation.  I would also explore the reason for the POA. Unless you know all the parties anyone could say they have POA and then direct a refund into their own account, nefariously. 
The purchase and rehab of an property has no P&L Effect. It's all balance sheet items.  Once the rental is in use you can then start depreciating the property and claiming ordinary and necessary oper... See more...
The purchase and rehab of an property has no P&L Effect. It's all balance sheet items.  Once the rental is in use you can then start depreciating the property and claiming ordinary and necessary operating expenses. Then you need to look at: passive activity loss based on income?  Also, active vs material participation? Seems like you could use some continuing education in this area.      
One return left which is waiting on a K-1 we may or may not get. Then have 42 e-file auth forms waiting on. Otherwise I'm sitting here drinking Fireball, and trying to access a new Maryland business... See more...
One return left which is waiting on a K-1 we may or may not get. Then have 42 e-file auth forms waiting on. Otherwise I'm sitting here drinking Fireball, and trying to access a new Maryland business payment website during tax season that none of my clients (and me) can access and pay withholding or sales tax.  Been over two months now. And then payroll tax returns. The life of a CPA - it never ends. But I'm DONE.
You can override the taxable amount. Get a copy of the 5498 AND both the statement showing the date of withdrawal and the date of recontribution. If the IRS questions you'll have the documentation to... See more...
You can override the taxable amount. Get a copy of the 5498 AND both the statement showing the date of withdrawal and the date of recontribution. If the IRS questions you'll have the documentation to prove the 60-day rule.
ISO "disposal" is not typically a term used. Box 11 is a distribution from Sec 457 and other nonqualified plans.  Be careful that you don't have both qualified in Box 1 and nonqualified in Box 11. A... See more...
ISO "disposal" is not typically a term used. Box 11 is a distribution from Sec 457 and other nonqualified plans.  Be careful that you don't have both qualified in Box 1 and nonqualified in Box 11. A TurboTax post I found. The IRS did change reporting requirements for 2022. It is being correctly reported on Schedule 1, Line 8t and Form 1040, Line 8. Here's more info on Non-Qualified Pension Reporting. 
Prior answer is correct.  Always look to the "legal" side of a deal. The sale was in 2024. Therefore any transaction in 2023, unless listed as a partial sale in the contract (like they sold certain a... See more...
Prior answer is correct.  Always look to the "legal" side of a deal. The sale was in 2024. Therefore any transaction in 2023, unless listed as a partial sale in the contract (like they sold certain assets in 2023 and the rest in 2024) would be a down-payment, a deposit towards the eventual sale.  This is where cash basis is not correct on reflection of taxable income.
Our post office likes to send my envelopes to the return address (me) rather than the mailed address. They don't even try to send it to the recipient. Doesn't happen with tax returns as they're all ... See more...
Our post office likes to send my envelopes to the return address (me) rather than the mailed address. They don't even try to send it to the recipient. Doesn't happen with tax returns as they're all Priority Mail with Tracking, but all other envelopes. When asked why - of course no answer.