bjscheel's Posts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bjscheel's Posts

Simple trust has foreign tax paid.  I have filled out information and an 1116 prints.  The trust doesn't have a tax liability so line 24 is $0.  I have also filled in boxes in the K-1 overrides scree... See more...
Simple trust has foreign tax paid.  I have filled out information and an 1116 prints.  The trust doesn't have a tax liability so line 24 is $0.  I have also filled in boxes in the K-1 overrides screen so the K-1 shows the amount as Total Foreign Taxes, but the General Info document still shows it carrying over to 2024 so I don't know if I've done everything I should.
Wow that's really fast to be getting letters already.  Did the returns you filed show a NOL being allowed on Form 124 because it was not until about 3/1 that Lacerte seemed to get it updated the way ... See more...
Wow that's really fast to be getting letters already.  Did the returns you filed show a NOL being allowed on Form 124 because it was not until about 3/1 that Lacerte seemed to get it updated the way I think it should be done.  I got an email from IDOR on 2/29 saying they were researching the 124 calculation question I sent and that they hoped to answer me on 3/1 or 3/4.  Nothing yet.  I will follow up with the rep.
For what tax year?
After today's software update, there is a box on Screen 15 Current Year (just below the box you pointed me to the other day) where you can now override the Part II line 4 calculation!  BUT I put in m... See more...
After today's software update, there is a box on Screen 15 Current Year (just below the box you pointed me to the other day) where you can now override the Part II line 4 calculation!  BUT I put in my override and so I have like $90,000 in line 3 and $47,000 in line 4.  Then line 5 says to enter the lesser of Line 3 and 4 and Lacerte puts in $4000 (what they were previously calculating for line 4). So still not a fix.  I will try the calculation challenge link they gave me.
Yesterday I was checking a return that had 1 asset with different Iowa depreciation.  IA4562A looked fine, showed that 1 asset.  Today I run an update and all 92 depreciable assets are listed on the ... See more...
Yesterday I was checking a return that had 1 asset with different Iowa depreciation.  IA4562A looked fine, showed that 1 asset.  Today I run an update and all 92 depreciable assets are listed on the IA4562A.  The bottom line still comes out right, so maybe Iowa won't care, but it's only supposed to show the ones that had differences and this is annoying. This return is due Friday.
Iowa is supposed to be calling me back about how that is supposed to be calculated.  In the meantime, I just spent 2 hours on the phone with Lacerte.  So far they are maintaining that the calculation... See more...
Iowa is supposed to be calling me back about how that is supposed to be calculated.  In the meantime, I just spent 2 hours on the phone with Lacerte.  So far they are maintaining that the calculation is correct per the instructions.  But I can submit a challenge to the calculation.  I'll wait and see if I hear from IDOR today to confirm my thoughts are right.  
I spoke with IDOR and am supposed to get a call back from someone who knows more.  While talking with her though, I'm thinking it is a Lacerte issue.  The instructions say line 4 of Part II is IA1040... See more...
I spoke with IDOR and am supposed to get a call back from someone who knows more.  While talking with her though, I'm thinking it is a Lacerte issue.  The instructions say line 4 of Part II is IA1040 line 4 (without accounting for the Iowa pre-2023 NOL adjustment from Schedule 1).  I was reading that as "without accounting for the NOL adjustment".   But if we can keep the federal NOL adjustment in that calculation, then yes, my client's income is a large positive number on IA1040 line 4 and I would think should show up on the IA124 Part II line 4 and allow a large Iowa NOL.  Is that what you are thinking? If I get that call back from IDOR I will update and maybe we need to call Lacerte.
Great, that fixes that part.  To populate a different Iowa NOL for Line 1 of Part II, you can do that in the Iowa Net Operating Loss section of Screen 15. As to Line 4 of Part II, in the instruction... See more...
Great, that fixes that part.  To populate a different Iowa NOL for Line 1 of Part II, you can do that in the Iowa Net Operating Loss section of Screen 15. As to Line 4 of Part II, in the instructions to the 124, it says it comes from line 4 of the IA1040 (without accounting for the NOL adjustment).  As far as I can tell, Lacerte is doing that.  I just looked at one and if I take the IA1040 line 3, then go to Iowa Schedule 1 and make the adjustments except for the NOL lines, it comes up with the same number as on the 124 line 4. So maybe Lacerte is doing it right according to instructions?  BUT, I really question if this is Iowa's intended outcome.  I have a client with a large NOL.  His line 4 income without the NOL adjustments is negative, so $0 on 124 Part II line 4.  The effect is $150,000 of federal NOL being added to income, and no Iowa NOL being deducted.  So he is paying Iowa tax on $150,000 NOL! Maybe that's right but it feels very wrong. Of course this is a March 1 farmer.  I sent an email to IDOR, but they probably won't answer fast enough.  I might try calling.
Anybody working with the new Iowa 124 form?  I have a client who needs to manually limit the federal NOL to 80%.  When I do that, the IA124 line 1 is pulling the limited NOL.  Line 2 is the actual de... See more...
Anybody working with the new Iowa 124 form?  I have a client who needs to manually limit the federal NOL to 80%.  When I do that, the IA124 line 1 is pulling the limited NOL.  Line 2 is the actual deduction which is the same number, leaving nothing for carryover to 2024 for Iowa.  When I don't limit the federal NOL, it pulls the full amount to line 1, minus the deduction taken, and leaves some for the following year.  Which I think is correct, other than line 2 should be the limited amount.
Trust received a K-1 from an Estate.  The K-1 has an amount in Box 11 Code A (excess deductions).  The input in a fiduciary return doesn't have a spot for 11A entry.  Can I put it in Other (11F, 13W)?
Okay, things that are just hers are marked US.  But there is a joint investment account showing half and half dividends on the Iowa form.  I could just leave it alone, or has anyone divided a 1099-B ... See more...
Okay, things that are just hers are marked US.  But there is a joint investment account showing half and half dividends on the Iowa form.  I could just leave it alone, or has anyone divided a 1099-B into two entries?
We are in Iowa and have been doing a return for Texas residents and have never gotten REP for a Texas return because they don't need to file one.  However, the husband is now an Iowa resident.  I've ... See more...
We are in Iowa and have been doing a return for Texas residents and have never gotten REP for a Texas return because they don't need to file one.  However, the husband is now an Iowa resident.  I've tried setting it up for him in Iowa and her in Texas.  The IA126 form for part-year/nonresidents has all of her income on it because without Texas REP I can't allocate her income to another state. When I ask for REP it says to only do it if you have franchise tax to file.  I appreciate that they do that and save people money, but can I ignore that and pay for REP anyway, and be able to mark items of income as Texas? I understand that she will be taxed on the income on Iowa anyway because she doesn't have any TX tax to put on the out of state credit and that's fine, but the IA126 says for non-residents to only list Iowa source income on it.  
So the bulk of the assets involved do not depreciate.  But does that make this non-passive income?  They are not selling it. My question is shouldn't the program default Form 8825 income to passive,... See more...
So the bulk of the assets involved do not depreciate.  But does that make this non-passive income?  They are not selling it. My question is shouldn't the program default Form 8825 income to passive, unless I check the box that it is not passive?
Farm rent. Nothing I do changes it other than if it is a loss, it marks it passive and if it is income, it marks it non passive.
Partnership has two rental real estate activities.  Both are passive activities.  One is a net loss this year, the other has net income.  Neither have the box checked for "property is not a passive a... See more...
Partnership has two rental real estate activities.  Both are passive activities.  One is a net loss this year, the other has net income.  Neither have the box checked for "property is not a passive activity".  Both are marked for not being a qualified business.  Other than the income and expense figures, the inputs are identical; however, the first one (loss) is showing up on K-1 as Passive and the second is showing as Non-Passive (this is on a "Supplemental Information" page 2 attachment to the K-1).  I can't see any way to make it say Passive.  From what I read, passive should be the default... ETA if I put in an amount to make the second one a loss, it changes to Passive.  Why isn't it defaulting to passive regardless? ETA I see others have posted on this issue and no solution.  This is happening on all our similar partnerships.  Lacerte need to fix this?  In the meantime, I presume the partners can report it as passive income?
Tried to e-file an 1120-S and the Iowa has critical diagnostics not letting me e-file.   #25650 regarding Iowa totals and the shareholder allocations not matching.  This is due to rounding ($1 and $... See more...
Tried to e-file an 1120-S and the Iowa has critical diagnostics not letting me e-file.   #25650 regarding Iowa totals and the shareholder allocations not matching.  This is due to rounding ($1 and $2 off) and from what I've read this shouldn't stop me from e-filing. #0 saying that IA 2220 is not available yet.  This form is for underpayment of estimated tax.  Being an S-Corporation, the entity does not pay tax, so it doesn't apply. Looking at other returns now, I note that we have successfully e-filed other 1120-S but apparently a recent update is applying that diagnostic #0 to our S-corps that haven't e-filed yet so this appears to be an issue with an update.  
That's what I'm thinking as I've been typing out a memo- that the sale has to go on an amendment.  Was just checking to make sure I couldn't somehow incorporate the sale into the 3115 but I don't thi... See more...
That's what I'm thinking as I've been typing out a memo- that the sale has to go on an amendment.  Was just checking to make sure I couldn't somehow incorporate the sale into the 3115 but I don't think so. So I guess I start amending at 2019 and work my way up, hoping I don't miss transferring any changes to each successive year 😢
Does anyone know if we can use Form 3115 for an asset that was traded in but left on the depreciation schedule? Farmer traded tractors in 2019 and then traded the newest tractor in 2020.  We receive... See more...
Does anyone know if we can use Form 3115 for an asset that was traded in but left on the depreciation schedule? Farmer traded tractors in 2019 and then traded the newest tractor in 2020.  We received the information that both tractors were purchased, so they have been depreciating.  But we were not told that tractors were traded in so those tractors continued to depreciate.  I see all kinds of information that 3115 can be used for missed depreciation but not anything specific to when you have done depreciation for too long (and missed reporting its disposition on 4797).  It's not a case of missed depreciation.  So I'm not sure if this would be done on an amended return or a 3115. I have read RP 2015-13 and not found what I'm looking for.
In Screen 1 Iowa is selected for e-file.  When I go to the Diagnostics Tab there is a critical diagnostic "Iowa is not included in this version of the program..." I know it is a result of the last u... See more...
In Screen 1 Iowa is selected for e-file.  When I go to the Diagnostics Tab there is a critical diagnostic "Iowa is not included in this version of the program..." I know it is a result of the last update, as I have sucessfully e-filed two IA 1120-S prior to it without the diagnostic.  And, a co-worker came to me after the update saying she had this diagnostic.  I looked at the same return on my computer and did not have the diagnostic.  I then ran the update and it appeared on my computer too.
I have e-filed two S-corps and had them accepted.  But the update we ran today has a diagnostic that Iowa is not included and that it will print blank.  It is included, and prints fine, but I am conc... See more...
I have e-filed two S-corps and had them accepted.  But the update we ran today has a diagnostic that Iowa is not included and that it will print blank.  It is included, and prints fine, but I am concerned I won't be able to e-file with this critical diagnostic.  Is this just a fluke in the update?   Also, the release chart says this form was available 1/23.