terishaw1040sf's Posts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

terishaw1040sf's Posts

I don't lock my client's tax returns, maybe I should and would like to know the pros and cons. I often go back to prior year tax returns for numerous reasons and am receiving this year a notificatio... See more...
I don't lock my client's tax returns, maybe I should and would like to know the pros and cons. I often go back to prior year tax returns for numerous reasons and am receiving this year a notification that calculations in the prior year's tax return have changed resulting generally in overpayment of tax.  Is there an easy way to amend these tax returns?  It seems that when I click on "View Changes" I go straight to the X and there is no description of what actually changed that resulted in the change.  How am I supposed to amend these tax returns, which I assume should be amended?
Client completed a 1031 by exchanging a residential rental property in SF for two similar, but cheaper properties in HI in November.  According to the intermediary, approximately $15K in boot.  Do I ... See more...
Client completed a 1031 by exchanging a residential rental property in SF for two similar, but cheaper properties in HI in November.  According to the intermediary, approximately $15K in boot.  Do I need to complete two 8824s and prorate the basis between the two replacement properties or only one combined 8824?  Obviously I will still need to report each HI property on it's own Schedule E.  Are any of the costs of sale, e.g., commissions, added to the basis of the original property and replacement properties?   IRS says with multiple replacement properties I must attach a statement, that also applies in this situation? Also, I inherited this client and the original CPA only put the improvement value on the E but I also need the total purchase price, including land, correct?   Last thing, I understand that since original property was exchanged from CA to another state, CA requires annual reporting.  Are you familiar with the form the needs to be filed annually with CA. Many, many thanks.
I understand, but is a single, or several rental units managed by an individual (not their personal residence) or management company, assuming it's competently managed and all necessary 1099s are iss... See more...
I understand, but is a single, or several rental units managed by an individual (not their personal residence) or management company, assuming it's competently managed and all necessary 1099s are issued, automatically considered a trade or business? And thank you for your replies, I really appreciate it.  Every tax season seems like it's the worst but this one is for sure.  
If a client owns and manages a single rental property (condo) and meets the safe harbor requirements, do I simply check that it is a qualified trade or business and ignore the requirement to efile a ... See more...
If a client owns and manages a single rental property (condo) and meets the safe harbor requirements, do I simply check that it is a qualified trade or business and ignore the requirement to efile a PDF statement?
If a client owns and manages a single rental property (condo) and meets the safe harbor requirements, do I simply check that it is a qualified trade or business?
The IRS requires a PDF of a signed and dated statement to be attached to an efiled tax return if the client meets the rental real estate safe harbor requirements and wants to claim the QBI deduction.... See more...
The IRS requires a PDF of a signed and dated statement to be attached to an efiled tax return if the client meets the rental real estate safe harbor requirements and wants to claim the QBI deduction.  I am trying to do this correctly this year but am getting conflicting information, i.e., that the IRS has waived the signature requirement and that the statement needs to be detailed to the extent of the name and number of the manager, number of units, etc.   There is a 199a rental real estate safe harbor statement in the 2019 (none in 2018) version of ProSeries that can be efiled with the tax return.  Is it sufficient to print it, have the client sign and date it, scan and create a PDF and attach it to the tax return?  Is it possible to send it with an 8453?  If the IRS has waived the signature requirement, can we just efile the ProSeries statement with the tax return?
To further clarify, this was not my error.  The client is in the 28% tax bracket and the 2018 worksheet for that tax bracket was not finalized until sometime in May, 2019, well after the tax return wa... See more...
To further clarify, this was not my error.  The client is in the 28% tax bracket and the 2018 worksheet for that tax bracket was not finalized until sometime in May, 2019, well after the tax return was filed.  The client was not accessed penalties, just tax and interest.  People have responded that the IRS is mandated by law to access interest, regardless of the cause and I thank them for their response.  I do not plan on paying the interest for this client nor are they asking me to.  
Client received the letter and the IRS is accessing additional tax of about $3,300.  In addition they are accessing interest of $88.  Client is willing to pay the additional tax but is balking at the... See more...
Client received the letter and the IRS is accessing additional tax of about $3,300.  In addition they are accessing interest of $88.  Client is willing to pay the additional tax but is balking at the interest.  I've never had a situation like this.  Is there any way to abate the interest.  I agree, it's not really fair given that the form was changed after the filing deadline.