BrooklynAcct's Posts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BrooklynAcct's Posts

Hi. In preparing a personal 1040 for a client I noticed she included a consolidated 1099 for a trust, named  "(name) and (name) TTE The (Names) Pres Trust U/A DTD 04/28/2017" 2 trustees. Does this... See more...
Hi. In preparing a personal 1040 for a client I noticed she included a consolidated 1099 for a trust, named  "(name) and (name) TTE The (Names) Pres Trust U/A DTD 04/28/2017" 2 trustees. Does this trust have to issue a 1041 and K1s, or can I split the divs and int between the 2 trustees? I know nothing about estates and trusts. But it does have its own EIN.   TIA, Gary
More than likely the client went to an IRS portal to apply for stimulus benefits rather than just letting them arrive. In doing so, they in effect filed a mini return and so when filing the regular r... See more...
More than likely the client went to an IRS portal to apply for stimulus benefits rather than just letting them arrive. In doing so, they in effect filed a mini return and so when filing the regular return received error messages that the return was already filed. This happened twice to me this year. Never before in the past. First time I was on the phone with the IRS for days and filed a Form 14039 concerning identity theft. Second time I just had the client sign the returns and I mailed them for her. I wrote the rejection codes at the top of the return
I have a client who is MFS and has DCAP. $2500 is shown in Box 10 or her W2. She cannot take the Credit but can take the exclusion on Federal Form 2441. However, what about in NYS? as per the instruc... See more...
I have a client who is MFS and has DCAP. $2500 is shown in Box 10 or her W2. She cannot take the Credit but can take the exclusion on Federal Form 2441. However, what about in NYS? as per the instructions, she should not be able to file NYS Form IT-216. How does she take the exclusion in NY or is it already "baked in" from the Federal? Just an FYI I filled in info to the IT-216 anyway and it gave a $60 credit even though her status is MFS. Why is that? Am I missing something and just take the credit? TIA
Thanks for the reply. I figured it out and want to relay this here in case anyone else has the same question. Basically, it appeared to me that, while the employer excludes your FSA contributions fro... See more...
Thanks for the reply. I figured it out and want to relay this here in case anyone else has the same question. Basically, it appeared to me that, while the employer excludes your FSA contributions from taxation, the amount is then placed in Box 10. In order to exclude that amount in Box 10 from being taxed, you'd have to have child care expenses and fill out Form 2441. My confusion lay in the knowledge that an MFS individual generally cannot take the credit, and to me that meant not filing 2441, and so making the amount in Box 10, which was originally excluded from tax, taxable, negating the benefit. That basically was my question. I did not realize until just now that an MFS fills out page 2 to take the exclusion. They just cannot take the credit from page 1. More than a little complicated. Who sits around thinking these things up?
My understanding is that if you contribute to a dependent care FSA (is that the same as DCAP?) it will appear in Box 10 of your W2. The rules state that a married filing separate spouse can only cont... See more...
My understanding is that if you contribute to a dependent care FSA (is that the same as DCAP?) it will appear in Box 10 of your W2. The rules state that a married filing separate spouse can only contribute $2500. She did, and it appeared in Box 10. However, as MFS and the couple lived together, she cannot file Form 2441 to take the child care credit. Therefore, the amount in Box 10 becomes taxable income. Am I missing something? So what is the benefit at all, and why do they allow MFS spouses to contribute when they cannot benefit? Unless I'm missing something. Thanks in advance.
If I both give and receive referral fees to the same person do I issue a 1099-MISC for the net amount (if what I gave is larger), or do we both issue each other a 1099 for the gross amounts we provid... See more...
If I both give and receive referral fees to the same person do I issue a 1099-MISC for the net amount (if what I gave is larger), or do we both issue each other a 1099 for the gross amounts we provided each other? 
Thank you! Yes there were deductions (legal fees, etc). But the rules state "paid out of gross income" so the estate will have a loss.
Hi, so it's a residuary bequest (not specific) and so my questions are still posed. Thank you.
Sorry, had to look at the will again. Actually, it's a residuary bequest.
I'm doing an estate income tax form 1041. The decedent has indicated certain beneficiaries that are charitable organizations in his will. For example 4 benes are cha. orgs and received $40,000 each, ... See more...
I'm doing an estate income tax form 1041. The decedent has indicated certain beneficiaries that are charitable organizations in his will. For example 4 benes are cha. orgs and received $40,000 each, and one is an individual also receiving $40,000. The instructions for Schedule A is "Enter amts paid for charitable purpose out of gross income". The income is: $7000 in divs (of which $3000 is qualified) and a capital loss of $3000 = Total income of $4000. Q1: Does this mean that the charitable deduction is limited to the income? Can the rest be carried over? Q2: What would the gross income be in the above example? Q3: Would the human beneficiary gain any benefit from the (limited) contribution? What about any (if any) carryover)? Thank you in advance.
My client has a 2-member partnership (an LLC) headquartered in NJ. The actual business though is done out of the members' homes, wherever they reside. One member lives in FL full-year 2018 and the ot... See more...
My client has a 2-member partnership (an LLC) headquartered in NJ. The actual business though is done out of the members' homes, wherever they reside. One member lives in FL full-year 2018 and the other 1/2 year in NJ, 1/2 year in GA. The members send me the income and expenses allocated to each member. So assuming it was 50-50, only 25% of the income was earned in NJ and the rest out of state. The program takes that 25% and allocates it to both members, and the full-year nonresident is taxed more than the part-year one (on the NJ-GBT-1065), even though the income allocated to her is ALL earned in FL. Is there a way to fix this? There should be NO non-resident tax as the part-year resident will be filing a part-year NJ return.