The Real Halloween's Posts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Real Halloween's Posts

How do I generate 2022 form 8878 and NJ f 8878 when the amount due is paid via IRS Direct Pay and NJ via a check payment?  Thank you for your time.
@itonewbie @sjrcpa Many, many thanks to both of you. I did try both methods and they are both great. I click both as “accept solution” not sure whether I am allowed to click both.
Hi, Taxpayer is filing 2022 form 1040 and part-year resident New Jersey 1040. How to input the following information from form 1099-div to PTO: Total ordinary dividends $2,000 Qualified dividends $1,... See more...
Hi, Taxpayer is filing 2022 form 1040 and part-year resident New Jersey 1040. How to input the following information from form 1099-div to PTO: Total ordinary dividends $2,000 Qualified dividends $1,500. But only total ordinary dividends $600 and qualified dividends $400 go to NJ. Thank you
Dual Status Return: US citizen taxpayer expatriated on November 15, 2022 and had been filing f2555 under bona fide residence test for previous years. Can TP apply bona fide resident test for the att... See more...
Dual Status Return: US citizen taxpayer expatriated on November 15, 2022 and had been filing f2555 under bona fide residence test for previous years. Can TP apply bona fide resident test for the attachment f1040 for the period of January 1, 2022 to November 15, 2022? Or TP should apply physical presence test? Thank you for your time and comment.
@George4Tacks Many thanks for your valuable comments and insight. I will keep you posted If I decide to sign on.
Received a number of emails from Intuit regarding the remote TurboTax Live expert application. Did anyone have any experience in working with the Intuit tax expert network? Any good? Many thanks for ... See more...
Received a number of emails from Intuit regarding the remote TurboTax Live expert application. Did anyone have any experience in working with the Intuit tax expert network? Any good? Many thanks for your comments!
TP solely owned a foreign business entity and filed form 5471 with his form 1040 since the entity inception in 2015. TP confirmed that his previous CPA did not make the check the box election to trea... See more...
TP solely owned a foreign business entity and filed form 5471 with his form 1040 since the entity inception in 2015. TP confirmed that his previous CPA did not make the check the box election to treat the foreign business entity as a C corporation and the foreign business entity is not a per se corporation. For 2021 and subsequent tax years, Can TP file his form 1040 with Schedule C plus Form 8858 (by treating foreign business entity with a single owner to be a disregarded entity) instead of form 1040 plus form 5471? Thank you for your comment and time.
@qbteachmt You mentioned that: The release of escrow is not a taxable event, when that value was already reported as taxable compensation. That's why I describe it as part of Banking, not W2 or 1099-... See more...
@qbteachmt You mentioned that: The release of escrow is not a taxable event, when that value was already reported as taxable compensation. That's why I describe it as part of Banking, not W2 or 1099-B. But TP informed me that the $30,000 that was set aside as an escrow from the merger consideration to be received in the future and $37,000 that were made into the escrow fund based on milestones that were achieved were never reported and taxes in 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020 returns. None of these two amounts were reported on W-2 or f1099-B and taxed in 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020. Therefore, it seems to me that $30,000 and $37,000 (totalling $67,000 as per f1099-B) should be reportable in 2021 return. What I am not sure is whether the $67,000 should be taxes as ordinary income wages or short-term capital gain (to treat $67,000 as part of the 2017 transaction) or long-term capital gain (to treat $67,000 as part of investment in 2021 with a basis of zero). Any comments? Thank you!
@qbteachmt Thanks again for your valuable comments and your speculations may be proven to be right (see below). Just received further clarifications from TP as follows: The gross proceeds on 2021 f... See more...
@qbteachmt Thanks again for your valuable comments and your speculations may be proven to be right (see below). Just received further clarifications from TP as follows: The gross proceeds on 2021 f1099-B was $67,000 and TP had received such amount minus bank charge of $10 in 2021. For our discussion below, I will disregard $10. The $67,000 gross proceeds can be broken down into 2 components as follows: 1. In October, 2017, $30,000 was set aside as an escrow from the merger consideration to be received in the future (2021). He $30,000 was not set aside from the stock sale proceeds reported in 2017 tax return. 2. Between 2019 and 2021, 3 deposits ($12,000 in 2019, $12,000 in 2021 and $13,000 in 2021) were made into the escrow fund based on milestones that were achieved. The total deposits of these milestones were $37,000. The 2021 originally filed f1040 included the $67,000 as part of wages. Shortly after TP e-filed, he received the 2021 f1099-B containing $67,000 as its gross proceeds. I am seeking your comment as well as advice as to whether the 2021 f1040-X is correct as follows: a) 2021 f1040-X will include Sch D/f8949 with gross proceeds of $67,000 and a basis of zero resulting a $67,000 long-term capital gain. ($30,000 as a long-term capital gain Box E Sch D (being the escrow fund) and a long-term capital gain of $37,000 Box E Sch D (being the milestones deposits). b) 2021 f1040 will be amended to reduce wages from $67,000 to zero. Your thoughts on this? Again, many thanks in advance for your advice.
@qbteachmt Thanks for your comments! According to TP, he did not pay for anything to receive the proceeds as stated on 2021 form 1099-B. The proceeds were not on 2021 W-2 as this is an overseas job/... See more...
@qbteachmt Thanks for your comments! According to TP, he did not pay for anything to receive the proceeds as stated on 2021 form 1099-B. The proceeds were not on 2021 W-2 as this is an overseas job/foreign employer. But TP said this is NSOs as he got the option agreement. Therefore, the full amount of proceeds to be reported in 2021 return as part of wages and Sch D and f8949 with gross proceeds and cost figures are the same. It seems that the date of exercise and date of sale occurred on the same day in 2021. TP also said that this 2021 proceeds were not in 2017 wages/income. It is strange because TP did not have enough fact/paper trail. Your thoughts on this?
@qbteachmt Thanks for your valuable comments and insights and the two tax articles. TP has indicated that it was nonstatutory stock options (NSOs). We will prepare form 1040-X and amend form 1040 by... See more...
@qbteachmt Thanks for your valuable comments and insights and the two tax articles. TP has indicated that it was nonstatutory stock options (NSOs). We will prepare form 1040-X and amend form 1040 by including the missing Schedule D and form 8949 with the gross proceeds and the cost/basis have the same value and the transaction is to be reported with Box B checked (Short-term transactions reported on Form(s) 1099-B showing basis wasn't reported to the IRS).  The total tax remains the same. Appreciate it if you have further advice on this and thank you so much for your valuable time!
@qbteachmt The transaction reported on f1099-B was an Indemnity Escrow Final Release in December 2021 as part of the closing of an acquisition of TP’s employer back in 2017. The escrow final release ... See more...
@qbteachmt The transaction reported on f1099-B was an Indemnity Escrow Final Release in December 2021 as part of the closing of an acquisition of TP’s employer back in 2017. The escrow final release in December, 2021 was not on a W-2 as TP’s employment was in overseas. However, TP included the escrow release as part of his wages. TP had reported the original proceeds from the acquisition as a Short-Term Capital Gain on the Schedule D / Form 8949 since TP had received a Form 1099-B for that in 2017. The amended return will be including the escrow release in Schedule D/f 8949 with a zero basis (short-term capital gain) and excluding the escrow release from part of the total wages as originally reported. The tax should remain the same. Your thoughts on this? Thank you.
@George4Tacks Thanks again as always for your time and comment.
Taxpayer received f1099-B after he e-filed his 2021 return. However, f1099-B has only one transaction and has "Transactions for which basis is not reported to the IRS and for which short or long-term... See more...
Taxpayer received f1099-B after he e-filed his 2021 return. However, f1099-B has only one transaction and has "Transactions for which basis is not reported to the IRS and for which short or long-term determination is unknown (to broker)". If TP had received this 1099-B before filing, the transaction would have been reported as short-term capital gain with a basis of zero. TP reported the transaction as part of the wages when he e-filed. As wages and ST capital gain have the same rate and TP is below the NIIT threshold, should TP take no action now? Or, Does TP need to file an amended return? Please comment and advise. Thanks for your time.
How to instruct PTO the following: List the parents as dependents on page 1 of form 1040 but TP is not eligible for credits for other dependents. Need to list parents as dependents in order to claim... See more...
How to instruct PTO the following: List the parents as dependents on page 1 of form 1040 but TP is not eligible for credits for other dependents. Need to list parents as dependents in order to claim dependent care expenses credits form 2441. Thanks for your time and guidance on this.
@TaxGuyBill Thanks again for your time and help.
Parents still qualify as dependents even they have income over $4,300 combined or file a joint return (non claiming refund return) under the Dependent care expenses (form 2441) and medical expenses (... See more...
Parents still qualify as dependents even they have income over $4,300 combined or file a joint return (non claiming refund return) under the Dependent care expenses (form 2441) and medical expenses (Schedule A).  These two exceptions are not available for credits for other dependents.  Is my understanding from your comments correct?
@TaxGuyBill.  Parents' gross income is more than $4,300 combined and parents are filing joint return not to claim refund of withholding taxes.  Thanks again for your assistance.
TP provided more than half of the parents support and parents lived with TP for more than half of the year. However, parents have the following in 2021: 1. Parents had gross income of $4,300 or more... See more...
TP provided more than half of the parents support and parents lived with TP for more than half of the year. However, parents have the following in 2021: 1. Parents had gross income of $4,300 or more, 2. Parents filed a joint return. Can TP claim credits for other dependents of $1,000 on his return? I understand TP can claim dependent care credit (form 2441) even with the above items #1 and 2 as parents are qualifying persons for dependent care credit. Please let me have your comments and thoughts on this. Thank you in advance for your time and assistance!
@BobKamman many thanks for your time and comments!