KMACK's Posts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KMACK's Posts

I am working on a trust return where the beneficiary passed away.  How do I delete the beneficiary from the 1041 file so the trust pays the tax rather than passing through the income or expense to an... See more...
I am working on a trust return where the beneficiary passed away.  How do I delete the beneficiary from the 1041 file so the trust pays the tax rather than passing through the income or expense to another individual or entity?
Thanks for the suggestion.
That field only allows numbers to entered, it does not allow letters.
Where do I enter "ForeignUS"?
I have a client who passed away and has a living trust naming his sister as the trustee to settle his affairs.  His sister is a resident of and citizen of Canada.  The client was a US resident and US... See more...
I have a client who passed away and has a living trust naming his sister as the trustee to settle his affairs.  His sister is a resident of and citizen of Canada.  The client was a US resident and US citizen living in California. When preparing his 2022 tax return, form 1310 asks for the social security number of the person claiming his refund.  However, the sister does not have a social security number since she is Canadian. Does she have to apply for a social security number before my client's tax return can be filed?
Thank you for the quick reply.
I have a client who lives and works in California, but the division of the company that employs him is based in New York.  He receives a W-2 showing approximately $200K of federal earnings, then $200... See more...
I have a client who lives and works in California, but the division of the company that employs him is based in New York.  He receives a W-2 showing approximately $200K of federal earnings, then $200K of California and $200K of New York earnings (so the two state amounts together are double the federal amount).  When I prepare his tax returns, the full $200K is taxed by New York on his NY non-resident tax return, then he receives a credit on his California return for the tax paid to New York.  Does that seem correct that the majority of his state tax gets paid to New York when he is a California resident and lives and worked in California?
Thank you.  That is what I thought.
I am working on a tax return for a California client who qualifies for the disaster relief extension due to the winter storms.  However, in the process of preparing the returns, I discover he also mu... See more...
I am working on a tax return for a California client who qualifies for the disaster relief extension due to the winter storms.  However, in the process of preparing the returns, I discover he also must file a New York non-resident return.  Will the New York non-resident return also qualify for the automatic extension or will he be considered late filing for New York and subject to penalty?
Yes.  I think that will work.  Thank you.
I have a client with a K-1 (Form 1065 for an LLC).  Based on the information I entered, Proseries automatically treats the income/loss as "Passive".  However, the K-1 states the income/loss should be... See more...
I have a client with a K-1 (Form 1065 for an LLC).  Based on the information I entered, Proseries automatically treats the income/loss as "Passive".  However, the K-1 states the income/loss should be recharacterized as "Non-Passive" based on an exception for the type of business it is.  How do I change this from Passive to Non-Passive in Proseries?
I prepared some 1099 NEC forms for a client using Quick Employer Forms.  The client wants to amend one of the forms.  What is the best way to do this?
Does a 2020 Telsa Model 3, purchased used in July of 2022 qualify for any federal tax credits?  My client seems to think so, but I can not find any where that says it does qualify. Thanks
I have three 2021 tax returns to file (late).  Can they by eFiled and signed with eSignature?  I know the eFiling system for the IRS is not open until 01/23/2023.
I just found out the client moved into the home (that he is renting to his mother) at the end of 2020, so now it is more like a situation of renting a room to his mother (the client is going through ... See more...
I just found out the client moved into the home (that he is renting to his mother) at the end of 2020, so now it is more like a situation of renting a room to his mother (the client is going through divorce).  His mother continued to pay the same rent as before he moved in which is now more like market rate rent to rent a room in a house in his area. So, now it can maybe be treated like a normal rental and reported on Schedule E with the usual expenses, taking into account the percentage of the home that is being rented?
I have a client who rents a home to his mother at below market rental rates  There is no attempt to make a profit on this rental.  Here are my questions: 1. Is this rental activity reported on Sched... See more...
I have a client who rents a home to his mother at below market rental rates  There is no attempt to make a profit on this rental.  Here are my questions: 1. Is this rental activity reported on Schedule E?  Or is the income reported as other income like a not-for profit hobby with expenses reported on Schedule A? 2. I believe he can claim a deduction for mortgage interest and property taxes as a second home.  Can he claim any other deductions against the rental income? Thank you,
Thank you.
I have a client who refinanced his home mortgage in 2021 and took some additional cash to do some renovations on his home.  The balance before the refinance was approximately $733,000 and the balance... See more...
I have a client who refinanced his home mortgage in 2021 and took some additional cash to do some renovations on his home.  The balance before the refinance was approximately $733,000 and the balance after was approximately $833,000.  In addition, he converted a portion of his property into a separate living space and rents it out.  This is approximately 20% of the total living space. With the refinance, he now exceeds the $750,000 limit on deducible mortgage debt.  So my questions are: 1. Is a refinance that takes you above $750,000 in mortgage debt subject to the $750,000 limit? 2. Since 20% of the home is treated as a rental, can 20% of the $833,000 be allocated to the rental leaving the other 80% as personal residence debt (which would put him below the $750,000 limit? Thank you. 
Thank you for the reply. Would I use the 2021 tax forms since the 2022 forms are not available yet?