hcliston's Posts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hcliston's Posts

ProSeries Basic will not allow me to do that.  His name is something like "Stefan R. F. Lopez" I tried making the first name "Stefan R." and the middle initial "F."  and it sort of works on the fede... See more...
ProSeries Basic will not allow me to do that.  His name is something like "Stefan R. F. Lopez" I tried making the first name "Stefan R." and the middle initial "F."  and it sort of works on the federal return. But on the state return, his first name shows up as "STEFANR"  I cannot find any workarounds, and the client won't back down.  Any ideas? Thank you!    
I have been trying and trying, over the last few weeks, to follow all the instructions and get my prior years of ProSeries Basic updated. I'm stuck.  I've updated 2020, 21, and 22. Cannot get 2016... See more...
I have been trying and trying, over the last few weeks, to follow all the instructions and get my prior years of ProSeries Basic updated. I'm stuck.  I've updated 2020, 21, and 22. Cannot get 2016-2019 to work. Should I reinstall those years from scratch? Can I ignore them and work without them as long as I don't have to go back and amend anything? Thank you!  
Thank you, Ironman. I think it would be easier (and cheaper) to just download Form 709 from the IRS and fill it out manually, right?
Good morning-- My clients super-funded some 529 plans, so I believe I have to file Form 709.  Can I do that within ProSeries Basic? Thank you.
No. Unfortunately, I was not able to figure this out, and I did not get any replies that helped with it. 😞   It's important, of course--so good luck!  And please share if you learn anything. Best,... See more...
No. Unfortunately, I was not able to figure this out, and I did not get any replies that helped with it. 😞   It's important, of course--so good luck!  And please share if you learn anything. Best, Heather
Thank you. Yes, since I am in California (as are most of my clients) I have never seen anyone who is NOT subject to SALT limits.  So I think you're saying that the client, who is itemizing on Sch. ... See more...
Thank you. Yes, since I am in California (as are most of my clients) I have never seen anyone who is NOT subject to SALT limits.  So I think you're saying that the client, who is itemizing on Sch. A, and has a home office for her Sch. C, may NOT be able to deduct a portion of real estate taxes on Sch. C. That seems logical, but ProSeries is calculating it as if she DOES get to take the extra deduction for part of her real estate taxes.  -- Heather    
BobKamman:  Thank you. Your response is very helpful.  But I still have a concern: The property taxes applied to the home office would not REALLY be deductible on Schedule A, because of the $10,00... See more...
BobKamman:  Thank you. Your response is very helpful.  But I still have a concern: The property taxes applied to the home office would not REALLY be deductible on Schedule A, because of the $10,000 limitation on deducting taxes paid. So if we take a deduction for part of the real estate taxes attributed to a home office, that will increase the client's overall deductions.   At least that's the way Intuit ProSeries is calculating it.  And it does not seem to be what the IRS Publication 587 says. Any thoughts on that? Is the IRS going to reject our home office deduction for part of the real estate taxes? Thank you!
IRS Publication 587, on Business Use of your Home, says this: "If you cannot deduct the business portion of your home mortgage interest in full this year, you will carry over the remaining home mort... See more...
IRS Publication 587, on Business Use of your Home, says this: "If you cannot deduct the business portion of your home mortgage interest in full this year, you will carry over the remaining home mortgage interest to a subsequent year in which you use actual expenses to figure your business of the home deduction."   and "If you cannot deduct the business portion of your real estate taxes in full this year, you will carry over those real estate taxes to a subsequent year in which you use actual expenses to figure your business of the home deduction." If you can, in fact, deduct these items even in a year with no business income, why would the IRS talk about carrying them forward? Thank you!
TaxMonkey and ABCTax55: I appreciate your responses to the person who asked about the home office deduction showing up as a deductible loss. You both said that Real estate taxes and mortgage intere... See more...
TaxMonkey and ABCTax55: I appreciate your responses to the person who asked about the home office deduction showing up as a deductible loss. You both said that Real estate taxes and mortgage interest are allowed to create a deductible loss. That caught me by surprise. I've been trying to find an IRS citation to show my clients.  Can you direct me to an official source for that information? Thanks very much!  Heather
DKH: Thanks very much for that clarification. I very much appreciate all of you who are taking time to help people, today of all days!
DKH, Thank you. I very much appreciate how quickly you responded. But I'm afraid I don't understand. Are you saying someone needs to produce an 1120S return separately? Or can I do that from with... See more...
DKH, Thank you. I very much appreciate how quickly you responded. But I'm afraid I don't understand. Are you saying someone needs to produce an 1120S return separately? Or can I do that from within his individual return, within ProSeries Basic? Thank you, Heather   
Hi -- My client owns an S-Corp. I have been waiting for him to send me the K-1 so I can enter the info into ProSeries.  Now he tells me he expects ME to prepare the K-1.  He gave me a rough spreadsh... See more...
Hi -- My client owns an S-Corp. I have been waiting for him to send me the K-1 so I can enter the info into ProSeries.  Now he tells me he expects ME to prepare the K-1.  He gave me a rough spreadsheet with some business expenses on it. I have never created a K-1 before.  Is there a way to do this in ProSeries?  Or do I need to go back to him and tell him HE has to get me a K-1 so I can finish his personal tax return? Thanks very much.
I agree. Wondering what to do with that.
Thank you.  And yes--it is the same question--I just had some hope that things would have changed over the past year.
Hi-- Similar question. Two of my Single clients got married in 2022.  Is there now any way--other than manually--to combine their two histories into one return? Thank you! Heather
Also--I've been looking through every page of the return, trying to find an override.  How will I know if I find it?  Will it be a different color? Thank you!
Hi Lisa & Others, I'm using Pro Series Basic, and I was unable to file a return tonight. The error message said I have an override. So I re-opened the return and searched and searched. I also se... See more...
Hi Lisa & Others, I'm using Pro Series Basic, and I was unable to file a return tonight. The error message said I have an override. So I re-opened the return and searched and searched. I also searched all the Intuit "Help" on that topic, but I've come up with nothing. Under LIST OF OVERRIDES, all I see is "The List of Overrides shows all the fields overridden . . . .CAUTION: Use the override feature only in those rare situations where the standard calculations are not appropriate for the tax situation."   I don't see any list. Can someone help? Thank you!    
Thank you for the info you've provided on ISOs. I just want to check another aspect of this. I'm working with a client who exercised some ISOs over several years, and in 2022 she finally sold it all... See more...
Thank you for the info you've provided on ISOs. I just want to check another aspect of this. I'm working with a client who exercised some ISOs over several years, and in 2022 she finally sold it all. So we have some AMT tax credits to use. I use Intuit ProSeries Basic. I think I'm handling things right, but I want to be as sure as possible. So I would like to SEE exactly what the system is using for her ISO regular basis and especially her ISO AMT basis. Where can I see those and/or change those if necessary? Thank you!  
TaxGirl and George4Tacks:  Thank you for the good info you've provided on ISOs. I just want to check another aspect of this. I'm working with a client who exercised some ISOs over several years, an... See more...
TaxGirl and George4Tacks:  Thank you for the good info you've provided on ISOs. I just want to check another aspect of this. I'm working with a client who exercised some ISOs over several years, and in 2022 she finally sold it all. So we have some AMT tax credits to use. I use Intuit ProSeries Basic. I think I'm handling things right, but I want to be as sure as possible. So I would like to SEE exactly what the system is using for her ISO regular basis and especially her ISO AMT basis. Where can I see those and/or change those if necessary? Thank you!