Chris268's Posts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chris268's Posts

We will never know because she decided to take her taxes elsewhere. I'm sure she owes the sales tax. She was deceitful from the very first contact and I'm glad to be rid of it.
Thanks.  I will try again.  She is very evasive.  She says she is a Life Coach, but she does not have clients that she coaches. I have asked her if she paid all sales tax on internet purchases and s... See more...
Thanks.  I will try again.  She is very evasive.  She says she is a Life Coach, but she does not have clients that she coaches. I have asked her if she paid all sales tax on internet purchases and she answered she uses Amazon, Target, and Walmart, and they all charge sales tax.  She did not mention all this product that she bought that I suspect is whole sale. She said she has to buy $900 of product to earn commissions, but she bought $9,000. I suspect it is like Avon and she is using Life Coach instead of salesperson because it sounds better.  The company that sent her the 1099 sells health and beauty products, apparently. I expected that she would take her taxes elsewhere, but she didn't, and I almost told her to take her taxes elsewhere, but I didn't. but these are pretty important executives with a lot of money, so I think maybe I should help her to do it right.
Thank you. You are right about other income not reported on the 1099.  I'm pretty sure she is only working with that one company, but I will ask. I am concerned because both her and her husband hav... See more...
Thank you. You are right about other income not reported on the 1099.  I'm pretty sure she is only working with that one company, but I will ask. I am concerned because both her and her husband have high income government-type jobs with W-2s.  This is a community property state and I don't think he has a clue of what she is doing with her money, other than there must be a garage full of this product. I am also concerned about the sales tax issue.  So far she has not given me receipts.  I'm not sure how much to keep pushing her or just deal with what I have. Thanks for your help.  
The problem I am having is that this is an internet business.  She does not have a store or store front, but she does not have a website either.  She has no mileage expense because she is not traveli... See more...
The problem I am having is that this is an internet business.  She does not have a store or store front, but she does not have a website either.  She has no mileage expense because she is not traveling to give the gifts or the conferences.  She has no shipping expense to send the gifts. I realize that the product that she purchased is not a business expense.   It is supposed to be multilevel marketing and she wants to all her expenses as marketing.  I'm trying to figure out how she got the income. I suppose you're right, and it doesn't matter.  I just have the 1099-NEC.    
Prepare an amended 2020 tax return.
I need help trying to figure out this multilevel marketing scheme.   My client can't possibly be telling me the whole picture and I think I need to understand what she is doing. She claims she joine... See more...
I need help trying to figure out this multilevel marketing scheme.   My client can't possibly be telling me the whole picture and I think I need to understand what she is doing. She claims she joined Neways as a Life Coach and is purchasing thousands of dollars of product from Modere.   She received a 1099-NEC from Neways for over $10,000 which she says is commission. She has evidence of purchasing about $9,000 of Modere products which she claims she kept for personal use with a small amount given away as gifts. I don't think it is possible to get $10,000 in commissions by purchasing $9,000 of products. She doesn't have a website and claims she doesn't sell anything. What am I missing from this picture?
According to the IRS she is not entitled to the first check which is why the executor returned it, but it was mandated in the second stimulus that the deceased person could receive it, so the answer ... See more...
According to the IRS she is not entitled to the first check which is why the executor returned it, but it was mandated in the second stimulus that the deceased person could receive it, so the answer that I keep getting is she is not entitled to EIP 1 but she is entitled to EIP 2.  It can be claimed on the tax return.
From the link you provided from the IRS: "You are not eligible for a payment if any of the following apply to you: You may be claimed as a dependent on another taxpayer’s return (for example, a chil... See more...
From the link you provided from the IRS: "You are not eligible for a payment if any of the following apply to you: You may be claimed as a dependent on another taxpayer’s return (for example, a child or student who may be claimed on a parent’s return or a dependent parent who may be claimed on an adult child’s return). You do not have a Social Security number that is valid for employment. You are a nonresident alien. The following are also not eligible: a deceased individual or an estate or trust." That is exactly where I found the information for the first payment.  The IRS says if the person died before the first payment you have to return it, but the second payment was mandated that it could still go to a deceased person, so the second one does not have to be returned, but the first one does.
I have the same question.  The taxpayer, who is a spouse on a MFJ return died in 2020 before the first stimulus payment, but she received both the first and the second payments. It is my understandi... See more...
I have the same question.  The taxpayer, who is a spouse on a MFJ return died in 2020 before the first stimulus payment, but she received both the first and the second payments. It is my understanding that she (the spouse) has to return the first one in the amount of $1200 but not the second one.  There doesn't seem to be any way to do this within ProSeries.  The IRS says you have to mail the money back to a special address. I'm just wondering if I should tell my client she needs to return the $1200, or if I just ignore it.  There doesn't seem to be any mandate or regulation.  It just seems unethical to keep it.   Is there a way to do this within ProSeries? Will she be hit with a monstrous penalty and interest three years from now? A second opinion would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
The claims were filed in June, 2019.  The payments were received in May, 2020.
Just so you know, I am a CPA and I have been doing taxes for 30 years and have NEVER done that.  If there is no 1099, then my clients or sometimes me, have to obtain it from the source.  In this case... See more...
Just so you know, I am a CPA and I have been doing taxes for 30 years and have NEVER done that.  If there is no 1099, then my clients or sometimes me, have to obtain it from the source.  In this case there is no 1099 because it is not pension funds.  It is settlement funds.
I wonder if they had two completely separate taw suits then, because these checks were received on May 14, 2020.  The clients were former participants not current.  There was nothing even close to wh... See more...
I wonder if they had two completely separate taw suits then, because these checks were received on May 14, 2020.  The clients were former participants not current.  There was nothing even close to what this says on the website that I was sent to and the forms had to be mailed in June of 2019.  The checks were received in May, 2020. It doesn't matter.  It is the same idea.  The funds aren't from the pension itself.  The client's pension was actually rolled over into a different plan long before this lawsuit.  It is from the settlement. It has no effect on Minimum Distributions or early penalties.  I think is is Other Income.    
I did not contact JP Morgan.  I contacted the phone number listed for the JP Morgan Class Action lawsuit, which would be the attorney's office. I don't believe any taxes were withheld.  I considered... See more...
I did not contact JP Morgan.  I contacted the phone number listed for the JP Morgan Class Action lawsuit, which would be the attorney's office. I don't believe any taxes were withheld.  I considered grossing it up by 20% but if nothing was withheld that would mess up everything.  I am satisfied that no taxes were withheld and there is no 1099.  
Hello!   My clients have received settlement funds from a class action lawsuit against JP Morgan 401K Plan.   The letter that came with the check states that taxes were withheld and a 1099-R would ... See more...
Hello!   My clients have received settlement funds from a class action lawsuit against JP Morgan 401K Plan.   The letter that came with the check states that taxes were withheld and a 1099-R would be issued.  No 1099-R was received. I called the hotline number and it is all old news.  There is no human available and it just repeats the same message that taxes were withheld and see your 1009-R and tax advisor for more help. I emailed JP Morgan and they said it was treated the same as a 1099-MISC.  If it was less than $600 then no taxes were withheld and no 1099 of any type was issued. I think this should be reported on the 1040 on Line 4 for pensions but I don't think that's possible without the 1099-R.  I have included it on Line 8 of Additional Income as Other Income.  Does anyone know the correct way?  Is there a better way, and does it even matter?  Thanks!   
‎12-05-2019 05:15 PM   How to contact ProSeries for help SOLVED•by Intuit•ProSeries Basic•513•Updated 2 days ago If you need help, you can call us directly or take advantage of our ... See more...
‎12-05-2019 05:15 PM   How to contact ProSeries for help SOLVED•by Intuit•ProSeries Basic•513•Updated 2 days ago If you need help, you can call us directly or take advantage of our self-help options with the new Intuit Accountants Community. To contact sales, or renew your ProSeries product, please call 1-800-934-1040, Monday - Friday, 6:00 AM - 3:00 PM PT. Closed Saturday and Sunday. For customer service and technical support for ProSeries, ProSeries Basic, and using Intuit Link with ProSeries, please call 1-800-434-6818. We offer extended hours for support at the busiest tax-filing times. See below for extended hours. Closed on all holidays listed below. Based on the wait times, you may be offered a callback request. This feature will allow you to hang up and continue working while we keep your place in line and call you back when it's time. By selecting this option, we will ask you to verify or enter a direct phone number to return your call.  If we miss you, we'll leave a voicemail with further instructions to reach us again. Tax season hours of operationApplicable 1/23 - 2/28 and 3/16 - 4/41 Open Close Monday through Friday 6:00 AM 6:00 PM Saturday 8:00 AM 4:00 PM Sunday Closed Closed *All hours listed are in Pacific Time March deadline hours of operation April deadline hours of operation Holiday hours of operation What self-service support options do you offer? 1All hours are subject to change without notice.
I just got another one, and they are all basically the same:  IRS letter, need help with 1040 and payroll. They are coming in hard and heavy now! Thanks!    
I have started receiving numerous emails asking for my help with an IRS letter and the 1040 and payroll.  They are all identical or very similar.  I am certain they are a phishing scam but don't know... See more...
I have started receiving numerous emails asking for my help with an IRS letter and the 1040 and payroll.  They are all identical or very similar.  I am certain they are a phishing scam but don't know what they would be trying to get. Some have documents attached with illegible Xcel spreadsheets.  I've never seen a W-2 sent as an Xcel file.  Some emails say the documents are attached but there is nothing there.   Is anyone else receiving this and does anyone know what they would be phishing for?  I answered one several times and told him to just fax me the documents, but did not get a reply. Are they just trying to give me a virus? Thanks!  
Thank you very much. I did inform this contractor of the notice and I did request a copy of the official letter for the EIN or the Social Security card as well as a corrected Form W-9. I decided to... See more...
Thank you very much. I did inform this contractor of the notice and I did request a copy of the official letter for the EIN or the Social Security card as well as a corrected Form W-9. I decided to do this as a service to him and maybe he will be my next new client since he must be having a problem.   I was thinking of this procedure as an imposition and burden rather than as a service to him. I have no idea if he will respond. Thanks!  
Yes, the notice states, "If they agree, send the B notice."  The accounts did agree.  The question was still, should I contact that contractor?  The letter stated explicitly that I do not need to con... See more...
Yes, the notice states, "If they agree, send the B notice."  The accounts did agree.  The question was still, should I contact that contractor?  The letter stated explicitly that I do not need to contact the IRS or prepare a corrected 1099.  This implies to me that they already know he gave them the wrong number.  Whether he was cheating on his taxes or not remains unknown.  It was a substantial payment.  They have his name and address, of course.   I did not send the B notice because there will never be any future contact with him and cannot be backup withholding.