wjdukes's Posts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wjdukes's Posts

That makes sense to me. Thanks for bearing with me through all the follow-up questions. I still hope they'll come up with a better system in the future, but this gives me a much better handle on wher... See more...
That makes sense to me. Thanks for bearing with me through all the follow-up questions. I still hope they'll come up with a better system in the future, but this gives me a much better handle on where things stand at this point.  One last follow-up (if you have a minute): Is there any way to have PTO generate a 9325 to give to clients? Any reason a preparer couldn't (or shouldn't) just fill out a 9325 based on the information provided on the e-file confirmation, and give that to clients for their records? Thanks again - to both of you who responded - for your thoughtful comments and suggestions. 
I'm sure you're right. It just seems crazy that there's no better way to do this. In my law practice, we electronically file documents with various courts and government agencies, and there is no oth... See more...
I'm sure you're right. It just seems crazy that there's no better way to do this. In my law practice, we electronically file documents with various courts and government agencies, and there is no other example I can think of where I can't produce a printable or computer-viewable copy of the final, signed, filed document.  Most of those documents don't have wet signatures either - that's not really the point. But the general understanding in most contexts is that a document that hasn't been signed (whether that's a wet signature, typed signature, pin, digital-encryption certificate, or whatever) is merely a draft that may or may not have been changed before it was signed and filed. 
Thanks. I think that's probably what I'll have them do, but it just seems like there should be a way to produce something from the software that is more authoritative than the e-file confirmation let... See more...
Thanks. I think that's probably what I'll have them do, but it just seems like there should be a way to produce something from the software that is more authoritative than the e-file confirmation letter. To be clear, I'm not talking about a paper filing - I'm talking about having a copy of the e-filed return that could be printed out or viewed on a computer screen. As a tax attorney, tax preparation is only one component of my practice. In other parts of my practice there are a wide variety of documents that we electronically file, with a wide variety of acceptable "signature" requirements, depending on the court or government agency involved. But in every other e-filing situation, I can produce a printable or computer viewable copy of the final document, in the form in which it was sent to the court or agency. I'm wondering why the same thing isn't possible with an e-filed tax return. Or is it possible in principle the PTO software can't do it for some reason? 
Those are good practice pointers, and I agree with everything you're saying in principle. At the same time, it was not uncommon, in the bad-old-days before we had electronic filing, to make a copy of... See more...
Those are good practice pointers, and I agree with everything you're saying in principle. At the same time, it was not uncommon, in the bad-old-days before we had electronic filing, to make a copy of the signed return before sending it to the IRS and to retain that copy in the client's file. I'm essentially looking for the modern equivalent of that practice with an e-filed return.  You may assume that I am authorized by my client to do what I am doing and that I have considered the business and other implications of doing so.  My question is purely practical: Is there a way to have the PTO software generate a PDF that shows the return, signed using a PIN (as the Form 8879 indicates it would be), in the form in which it was sent to the IRS?
A client's lender is requesting "signed copies" of recent returns. They won't accept the unsigned PDF copies I can print from the PTO e-file page. What I really need is a way to see/print/share the re... See more...
A client's lender is requesting "signed copies" of recent returns. They won't accept the unsigned PDF copies I can print from the PTO e-file page. What I really need is a way to see/print/share the return in the exact form it was sent to the IRS.