advantagepoints's Posts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

advantagepoints's Posts

Thank you so much for your request. At the moment, I am continuing to do additional research for the guidance regarding the following information previously shared. "While generally only C corporati... See more...
Thank you so much for your request. At the moment, I am continuing to do additional research for the guidance regarding the following information previously shared. "While generally only C corporations may claim a deduction for charitable contributions of nonfood inventory items, any form of entity is entitled to the charitable deduction for contributing food (Sec. 170(e)(3)(C)(i)(I))" and... "Federal law protects businesses that donate apparently wholesome food from liability to encourage businesses to donate food before it becomes waste. Further, tax law establishes special rules for food donations, which can give businesses a larger write-off than otherwise available for inventory donations. Under the special rules for donated food, businesses can deduct what they paid for the food plus up to half of the markup they could have charged. For example, if the ingredients cost $10 and the final dish would sell for $30, the donation would provide $10 in write-offs from the cost and another $10 in write-offs from half the markup of $20." I will bring up the issue with the E.A. group that I meet up monthly. Will return to provide updates.
Thank you all.  I've found additional details here.  Much appreciate all your help. https://www.irs.gov/publications/p526
Thank you so much for your follow-up question. Yes. I am still curious about how to treat the markup portion the meals would have cost if sold to customers.  According to the article, the charitable ... See more...
Thank you so much for your follow-up question. Yes. I am still curious about how to treat the markup portion the meals would have cost if sold to customers.  According to the article, the charitable deduction under this provision is 50% of FMV but it gave no guidance as to how to do so.
https://www.thetaxadviser.com/newsletters/2016/jul/charitable-donations-of-food-inventory.html
Thank you so much for your inputs.  Much appreciated!
Thank you so much for your thorough inputs! Much appreciated.
Not "in addition to" but "instead of"
Here's some interesting info that I've found.... "Federal law protects businesses that donate apparently wholesome food from liability to encourage businesses to donate food before it becomes waste.... See more...
Here's some interesting info that I've found.... "Federal law protects businesses that donate apparently wholesome food from liability to encourage businesses to donate food before it becomes waste. Further, tax law establishes special rules for food donations, which can give businesses a larger write-off than otherwise available for inventory donations. Under the special rules for donated food, businesses can deduct what they paid for the food plus up to half of the markup they could have charged. For example, if the ingredients cost $10 and the final dish would sell for $30, the donation would provide $10 in write-offs from the cost and another $10 in write-offs from half the markup of $20."
Yes. My clients received refunds from CA but not yet from the IRS.
What advise do you have for restaurant businesses that want to give/donate meals to communities and organizations in needs? Which steps should they take and how can the expenses be deducted as charit... See more...
What advise do you have for restaurant businesses that want to give/donate meals to communities and organizations in needs? Which steps should they take and how can the expenses be deducted as charitable deductions?
Hi Lisa. Thank you so much for your inputs. I did exactly what you suggested and was able to eFile the state RDP return. Much appreciated.
Clients filed two federal returns as SINGLE, and file one state returns as RDP.  Both SINGLE federal returns were eFiled successfully.  Their RDP state return is flagged with "duplicated SSN/EIN erro... See more...
Clients filed two federal returns as SINGLE, and file one state returns as RDP.  Both SINGLE federal returns were eFiled successfully.  Their RDP state return is flagged with "duplicated SSN/EIN error" and can not be eFiled.