jnd2546's Posts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

jnd2546's Posts

you have to check each form that you want included in the envelop.;  or maybe the taxpayer didn't sign both??
Ty!!
If a taxpayer has used their SSN for a sole proprietorship activity for years and not wants to apply for and use an EIN for same business, is there anything they have to do to alert IRS?   Thank you!
Tried to e-file "2021" Joint return with Primary taxpayer and with spouse who died in 2021. Identified date of death of spouse in the return. Reject said Spouse SSN was locked by SSA because it bel... See more...
Tried to e-file "2021" Joint return with Primary taxpayer and with spouse who died in 2021. Identified date of death of spouse in the return. Reject said Spouse SSN was locked by SSA because it belongs to someone who is deceased. Doesn't offer much solution in the reject other than contact SSA.  Not sure if that means to get them to unlock. Also mentions about printing the return and mailing to the appropriate service center. Any insights appreciated.?  Thanks! . 
Thank you all!  Spoke with his Dad. He's a Psychology major ( underclass) and the research project was solicited by Cognitive Sciences Department. Going with including the income Line 8 of sch 1 wit... See more...
Thank you all!  Spoke with his Dad. He's a Psychology major ( underclass) and the research project was solicited by Cognitive Sciences Department. Going with including the income Line 8 of sch 1 with no SE taxes.
Thank you so much for your time and those insights. Student is underclass ( 2nd year at Penn); not sure of his major.  Will ask his dad. He just told me it was an advertised research project the sch... See more...
Thank you so much for your time and those insights. Student is underclass ( 2nd year at Penn); not sure of his major.  Will ask his dad. He just told me it was an advertised research project the school needed, he applied and was accepted;. Will be speaking more with Dad this evening.
Clearly the answer I was hoping for, but I ask myself what's the difference whether they issue Misc or NEC? An advertised requirement that the student applies for and gets the job to deliver a produc... See more...
Clearly the answer I was hoping for, but I ask myself what's the difference whether they issue Misc or NEC? An advertised requirement that the student applies for and gets the job to deliver a product. Sounds like NEC independent contractor; on the other hand if "W-2 wages" are exempted I guess that would be my answer to IRS on challenge and blame the school for not reporting on W-2. Will go with your answer and not calculate SS/Medicare. TY!
So apparently the "wages" of a college student, related to a "part time job" at their school of enrollment, is exempted from social security  ( and Medicare I presume) withholding from those wages. ... See more...
So apparently the "wages" of a college student, related to a "part time job" at their school of enrollment, is exempted from social security  ( and Medicare I presume) withholding from those wages. However, if the school happens to issue a 1099-MISC ( other income) as compensation to a student for a specific research assignment, do you think that would fall into the same exemption category and avoid the self-employment SS and medicare tax? Appreciate any insights. Thanks jnd2546
No. Did not check auto calculate.  Even if you dont it fills in "PA" for the state then that requires the EIN.
TY!
So PA resident takes a summer job at Disney World. Gets a W-2 reporting federla, SS and Medicare wages and W/H. No FL taxes of course and no PA and local Phila taxes witheld  ( probably because not ... See more...
So PA resident takes a summer job at Disney World. Gets a W-2 reporting federla, SS and Medicare wages and W/H. No FL taxes of course and no PA and local Phila taxes witheld  ( probably because not req'd to do so). Try and enter the W-2 info and report wages to PA  with no witholding but Proseries requires a PA EIN for Disney. If blank it wont pass efile review. Suggestions?  Can I input the federal EIN for Disney in that block?   Thank you!
On a PA resident state return (PA-40), the program is not allowing the School Income Tax return for Philadelphia to be removed from e-filing the PA state return, even if you delete the incorrect amou... See more...
On a PA resident state return (PA-40), the program is not allowing the School Income Tax return for Philadelphia to be removed from e-filing the PA state return, even if you delete the incorrect amounts that are being transferred to the form for income not taxable for the School Income Tax.  The yellow ribbon also says that form not ready for e-file until 23 March. It's holding up being able to just file the PA resident tax return when the School Tax is not applicable.. Am i missing something?    Thank you!
Thank you Sir!
If a donor and spouse made gifts ( in excess of annual exclusion) to 4 different individuals, can a single 709 be filed to report all gifts or do they need to file a separate 709 for each donee?   ... See more...
If a donor and spouse made gifts ( in excess of annual exclusion) to 4 different individuals, can a single 709 be filed to report all gifts or do they need to file a separate 709 for each donee?   Thank you!
Have a couple who benefit by Fed joint filing due to child care expenses; both are PA residents and both income from DE. ( non-reciprocal states) If I e-file fed joint by itself; will Pro Series all... See more...
Have a couple who benefit by Fed joint filing due to child care expenses; both are PA residents and both income from DE. ( non-reciprocal states) If I e-file fed joint by itself; will Pro Series allow me to then be able to e-file separate DE's and attach DE to a PA for their  resident return, claiming Non -resident credit? . PA Non resident credit must be calculated by individual;  no joint tax credit from DE.is allowed.   Thank you for any insights!
You do a good job of evading the basic issue of the "IRS use of the word "you" and the only reason for the Recovery Rebate Credit exists is for people who would be eligible in 2021, but an advanced E... See more...
You do a good job of evading the basic issue of the "IRS use of the word "you" and the only reason for the Recovery Rebate Credit exists is for people who would be eligible in 2021, but an advanced EIP was not issued to them based on data from 2019 or 2020 return. I checked with NSTP to get their take on the issue. Several preparers have inquired. They absolutely agree the IRS has created ambiguity with the question/answer in Topic B of the FAQ's. For now, they are telling preparers to interpret "you" literally ( i.e the filing non-dependent) even though their parent received EIP as a result of their dependency in 1019 or 2020 and go ahead and claim the RRC if otherwise eligible. Prudence however would suggest you alert the now 2021 non-dependent client that ambiguity does exists from IRS and the outcome of their return could be different than filed if the RRC is claimed. .
Let's not assume software is always correct ( especially if guidance that came out on 25 March is not necessarily incorporated.  It still keeps coming back to the use of the word "you" by the IRS and... See more...
Let's not assume software is always correct ( especially if guidance that came out on 25 March is not necessarily incorporated.  It still keeps coming back to the use of the word "you" by the IRS and even in the question on the RRC worksheet. Following the RRC worksheet and if you take "you" literally as the client in 2021, the 2021 non-dependent client would be eligible for RRC in 2021 because "you" is taken as only the parent receiving the  $1400 on behalf of the kid. ( and who received the 6475 letter). Prudence to me comes down to alerting the client that if they choose to claim the RRC, it is clearly ambiguous with the FAQ's and if they do receive RRC in their 2021 filing , there's a possibility that they OR their parents could receive a demand for payback when the IRS figures out what they want to do with the ambiguity they created..
So just to be clear, you believe it's OK to claim a RRC for a non-dependent in TY 2021 if they were claimed as a dependent in 2020 and their parents received an EIP of $1400 for them in March/April 2... See more...
So just to be clear, you believe it's OK to claim a RRC for a non-dependent in TY 2021 if they were claimed as a dependent in 2020 and their parents received an EIP of $1400 for them in March/April 2021?
I very much want to believe you, but tell me how the sentence on page 6 of the latest FAQ's 25 March 2022 ( Topic B Eligibility),   " What can I do if someone else claimed me......) doesn't mean that... See more...
I very much want to believe you, but tell me how the sentence on page 6 of the latest FAQ's 25 March 2022 ( Topic B Eligibility),   " What can I do if someone else claimed me......) doesn't mean that if the parent got $1400 for that child due to claiming them in 2020, that would invalidate that child from RRC even if they are not claimed by the parent in 2021?
Does anyone else disagree with this "yes" answer?  FAQ's for Third Stimulus and RRC seem to indicate that if "someone was claimed as a dependent in 2020, they would not be eligible for RRC in 2021.