Marsha2020's Posts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marsha2020's Posts

Need assurance that this is correct.  Client has $31K in series EE savings bond that was cashed in 2023.  She put the funds in a college fund in her name.  She's not expecting to pay tax on this inte... See more...
Need assurance that this is correct.  Client has $31K in series EE savings bond that was cashed in 2023.  She put the funds in a college fund in her name.  She's not expecting to pay tax on this interest, but doing the 8815, her modified adi is $109K.  Directions say if single, magi has to be below $106,850.  Client upset because the $31K is being used in magi.  Am I right or am I doing something wrong.  Thanks.
Could be a survivor pension. May be going to ex wife. I think this is why the audit part. The surviving spouse isnt much help here. 
Hi all.  Need an opinion on military retirement.  Client was retired and received retirement up until his death in Aug 2023.  The run around getting the 1099R is unreal.  Spouse says it didnt come in... See more...
Hi all.  Need an opinion on military retirement.  Client was retired and received retirement up until his death in Aug 2023.  The run around getting the 1099R is unreal.  Spouse says it didnt come in mail.  She has called DFAS numerous times and they say there isnt a 1099R-and that the account is under audit.  I sent her to the IRS.  They say on the transcript that there isnt a 1099R.  Tried to call the practioner line and no time for me.  Should I leave off and amend later.  Should I use 2022 figures?  She needs her refund and I've exhausted all efforts with the exception of her congressman.  Just looking for ideas here.  Thanks so much.
Good morning.  I have maybe a dumb question but here goes.  Have a reject from a person that has previously received a German annuity which has a foreign tax carryover.  I've read the reject and need... See more...
Good morning.  I have maybe a dumb question but here goes.  Have a reject from a person that has previously received a German annuity which has a foreign tax carryover.  I've read the reject and need to attach a pdf of 1116.  My question is this - the German annuity is no more after 2021 and this carryover will never be used.  Would it be okay to eliminate this 1116 since it's not ever going to be used and that resolves the reject or do I have to continue every year with this?  The annuity is no more and there won't be anymore foreign taxes.  Thanks.
What you can't do under the MSRRA Of course, there are limitations to this law, as you might expect. And remember, these vary state to state, so do your specific state research. You cannot choose a... See more...
What you can't do under the MSRRA Of course, there are limitations to this law, as you might expect. And remember, these vary state to state, so do your specific state research. You cannot choose a random state to be your residence. You also can’t “adopt” your service member’s state without having lived there. If a state exempts military income while the service member is on orders, that is not automatically extended to income earned by the military spouse. Also, you have to be able to prove that you have lived there. It’s all clear as mud, right? See above. Don’t think it’s cut and dried. 
If she is living and working in North Carolina and married to active duty, she can file with spouse with GA.  TN would be completely out of the question.  I think she can also file North Carolina and... See more...
If she is living and working in North Carolina and married to active duty, she can file with spouse with GA.  TN would be completely out of the question.  I think she can also file North Carolina and not Georgia if it's more advantageous.  
Thanks for the help.  I didn't know client had been given estimates, because they kept saying Surepayroll had paid the taxes.  Turns out, they didn't use the estimates and pay what Surepayroll had gi... See more...
Thanks for the help.  I didn't know client had been given estimates, because they kept saying Surepayroll had paid the taxes.  Turns out, they didn't use the estimates and pay what Surepayroll had given them.
Client took $10K out of IRA and also gave birth in 2021.  I've excluded $5K on the 5329 for no penalty for being under 59 1/2.  I've read that this needs a statement and has to be mailed in.  This ca... See more...
Client took $10K out of IRA and also gave birth in 2021.  I've excluded $5K on the 5329 for no penalty for being under 59 1/2.  I've read that this needs a statement and has to be mailed in.  This can't be right?  The child is listed for the first time on the 2021 tax return.  Isn't that enough info for the IRS without adding to their paperwork back log.   How do I handle this?  Thanks in advance.  
Help.  Client had nanny they paid $3300 to in 2021  They used SurePayroll for the W2.  W3 indicates a household employee.  She tells me they paid the taxes.  So I can just skip the Schedule H - corre... See more...
Help.  Client had nanny they paid $3300 to in 2021  They used SurePayroll for the W2.  W3 indicates a household employee.  She tells me they paid the taxes.  So I can just skip the Schedule H - correct?  Otherwise, she would be paying twice.  I have included the nanny amount on the 2441.   I don't want to make a mistake with this client lol.  
You will need to enter an email address for both.  The primary gets the first email, signs and then a second email is sent to spouse for her signature.  For the dependent, could be under age 18 or th... See more...
You will need to enter an email address for both.  The primary gets the first email, signs and then a second email is sent to spouse for her signature.  For the dependent, could be under age 18 or that the answers to the security questions were wrong.  
Is anyone else having esignature problems?  I keep getting an error saying something is wrong on Intuit's end and they are working on it.  Try again later.   Working very sporadically.  
Hi.  Hoping someone can answer this technical question.  I've prepared the 1120S and have to file a Virginia.  At the bottom of the 502 it says to attach a copy of the federal.  Is ProSeries automati... See more...
Hi.  Hoping someone can answer this technical question.  I've prepared the 1120S and have to file a Virginia.  At the bottom of the 502 it says to attach a copy of the federal.  Is ProSeries automatically attaching this or is this something I have to manually accomplish.  I want to make sure I understand how this is working.  With a personal Virginia return, it's done automatically for me.  Thanks.
I have an unusual problem.  Filed a return but the unemployment compensation wasn't included on original return.  The error didn't change the taxable income and all federal withheld is due back to cl... See more...
I have an unusual problem.  Filed a return but the unemployment compensation wasn't included on original return.  The error didn't change the taxable income and all federal withheld is due back to client. Proceeded to correct with an amendment.  Everything was going perfectly, got the 8879 signed and was ready to efile.  So now, no figures show up on the 1040X and the 8879 shows the original refund plus the additional $516 client is owed.  It took me a few to realize that the last update changed everything.  Intuit is assuming that the only amendments needed are ones that were taxed incorrectly.  This is not the case with my problem.  I know I can do manually and mail in but we all know that it will take forever.  How to get Intuit to fix this problem or should I file the 8879 with the original amount plus the $516.  Other amendments that don't involve unemployment seem to be working correctly.  Thanks for the help.
I think I know the answer, but here goes.  I'm doing my first amendment and efiling it.  I guess there isn't a way to request an esignature for that?  At least I haven't figured out a way.  Thanks in... See more...
I think I know the answer, but here goes.  I'm doing my first amendment and efiling it.  I guess there isn't a way to request an esignature for that?  At least I haven't figured out a way.  Thanks in advance.  
I'm having issues with the Virginia returns.  It's adding the $10,200 then subtracting the taxable.  Unemployment in VA isn't taxable.  And this is also causing the $12K age exclusion to be computed ... See more...
I'm having issues with the Virginia returns.  It's adding the $10,200 then subtracting the taxable.  Unemployment in VA isn't taxable.  And this is also causing the $12K age exclusion to be computed incorrectly.  
Is there anyone else that thinks the VA tax returns are computing incorrectly?  Every since the federal unemployment was updated, Virginia is adding and subtracting the unemployment to compute the ad... See more...
Is there anyone else that thinks the VA tax returns are computing incorrectly?  Every since the federal unemployment was updated, Virginia is adding and subtracting the unemployment to compute the adjusted federal adjusted gross income.  The problem is that my client has unemployment, which isn't taxable in VA, and is over 65.  The computation for the $12,000 exclusion for being over 65 seems to be wrong because of the adding and subtracting on lines 2 and 7 of the VA 760CG.  Thanks in advance.
I've had a problem with the unemployment income after the update.  Numbers changed but at least I had not filed it.  VA still a problem.
Need an opinion.  I've read the IRS guidance for Covid.  Pretty much everyone in the US was effected, right?  I have a client who took $60K from 401K, over 59 1/2 and still works.  Her Covid reason i... See more...
Need an opinion.  I've read the IRS guidance for Covid.  Pretty much everyone in the US was effected, right?  I have a client who took $60K from 401K, over 59 1/2 and still works.  Her Covid reason is son lost job who lives with her, so increased costs, lost a higher paying job, and her bills increased.  Is it safe to take that over 3 years.   I don't understand how loose or tight these covid rules are looked at by the IRS.  Opinions, please.  
You have to print them individually from your screen.