mj46's Posts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mj46's Posts

Spouse died several years ago, paid estate taxes that included an irrevocable trust among other assets.  That trust was closed and with the remaining income, a new irrevocable trust was formed naming... See more...
Spouse died several years ago, paid estate taxes that included an irrevocable trust among other assets.  That trust was closed and with the remaining income, a new irrevocable trust was formed naming the surviving spouse and daughter as co-trustees.  When the surviving spouse died, the irrevocable trust went directly to the daughter.  There was no need for probate since it was stated in the trust agreement that the daughter was to inherit the trust upon the death of the surviving spouse.  It was also stated in the agreement that the surviving spouse was entitled to the income, within limits, until her death.  My question is does the surviving spouse need to include 50% of the value of the trust in her estate when filing the Estate tax return.
I have a deceased client that I am preparing an estate tax return for (For 706),  The spouse died several years ago and an estate tax return was prepared and filed.  Estate taxes were paid only for t... See more...
I have a deceased client that I am preparing an estate tax return for (For 706),  The spouse died several years ago and an estate tax return was prepared and filed.  Estate taxes were paid only for the state  with the filing of Form 706.  The estate was valued at about 2.5 million and included a revocable trust.  A new revocable trust was created with the balance of the spouse's estate in the name of the spouse with the surviving spouse as the beneficiary.  My question is this:  Is the revocable trust included in my client's estate (the surviving spouse)?  Or is only the increase in value included in the surviving spouse's estate since taxes have already been paid on the assets used to set up the trust?
I'm using Lacerte software.  Since it is mortgage interest and can be use as UPE. do I deduct it as UPE on Form Schedule E, page 2 as a deduction against the partner's share of partnership income or ... See more...
I'm using Lacerte software.  Since it is mortgage interest and can be use as UPE. do I deduct it as UPE on Form Schedule E, page 2 as a deduction against the partner's share of partnership income or must I deduct it on Schedule A?
It was used to buy the business.
A taxpayer started a partnership and purchased a business using the home equity proceeds she took out to purchase the business and wants to deduct the equity interest as a business expense.    She wa... See more...
A taxpayer started a partnership and purchased a business using the home equity proceeds she took out to purchase the business and wants to deduct the equity interest as a business expense.    She was told by the bank that she could do this??  Other than a home office, is there a way to deduct this interest from the business?
I'm using the Lacerte worksheet and yes, I've indicated the number of months.  I've entered everything exactly as instructed.  I've included all the mortgages on the worksheet and all mortgage intere... See more...
I'm using the Lacerte worksheet and yes, I've indicated the number of months.  I've entered everything exactly as instructed.  I've included all the mortgages on the worksheet and all mortgage interest have been reduced.  My question is this: Is the loan limit of $750,000 on all loans (together) for the year including the home sold and the home purchased?
If I put it on the worksheet, the interest is reduced.  That is why I've asked this question.  According to the instructions, all mortgages from all homes are input on the worksheet.  But if I enter ... See more...
If I put it on the worksheet, the interest is reduced.  That is why I've asked this question.  According to the instructions, all mortgages from all homes are input on the worksheet.  But if I enter the 1st one directly on Sch A, I get a different result.  
I have a client who sold their residence and paid off that mortgage which was under $750,000.  They purchased a new residence with a mortgage of $1,230,000.  Reading directions on figuring the home m... See more...
I have a client who sold their residence and paid off that mortgage which was under $750,000.  They purchased a new residence with a mortgage of $1,230,000.  Reading directions on figuring the home mortgage deduction limitation, I understood the instructions to say to enter each mortgage they had on all qualified homes.  In this situation, I assume it to mean both mortgages, the old residence and the new residence.  When researching in the community discussions, one question similar to my own, was answered by saying to enter the mortgage interest from the home sold (with mtg under $750,000) directly on Schedule A and to use the home mortgage deduction limitation worksheet to figure the interest deduction for the mortgage on the new house (with mtg over $750,000).  I can't find any articles clearly stating this, either way.
Surviving spouse is selling home that qualifies for home sale exclusion.  Husband died April 4, 2021.  Signing purchase & sale agreement April 4, 2023 but closing after April 4, 2023.  Can she still ... See more...
Surviving spouse is selling home that qualifies for home sale exclusion.  Husband died April 4, 2021.  Signing purchase & sale agreement April 4, 2023 but closing after April 4, 2023.  Can she still qualify for the $500,000 exclusion?   If not, is a partial exclusion for deceased spouse available if surviving spouse's health has rapidly declined and can no longer live alone?
When are gift certificates included in income?  When they are purchased or when they are redeemed?
yes
Is there a website to research which electric vehicles qualify for the electric vehicle tax credit?   My client purchased a 2020 Subaru Crosstrek hybrid vehicle.  She was told this model qualified fo... See more...
Is there a website to research which electric vehicles qualify for the electric vehicle tax credit?   My client purchased a 2020 Subaru Crosstrek hybrid vehicle.  She was told this model qualified for the credit.  I cannot find a site that will give me information needed in order to qualify this vehicle.  I've been spending too much time trying to research this topic.  Thank you.
I had no intention of reporting the Roth as a contribution until I read the diagnostics in Lacerte telling me to do that.  Something doesn't seem right about this whole transaction.  They sold a 3-fa... See more...
I had no intention of reporting the Roth as a contribution until I read the diagnostics in Lacerte telling me to do that.  Something doesn't seem right about this whole transaction.  They sold a 3-family in 2021 so their income was nearly $300,000, covered by pension plans at work.  Their AGI would disqualify them from contributing to either a traditional or a Roth.  Is this ok?  Do I just ignore the diagnostic since it is not a critical diagnostic?
A client contributed to a traditional IRA in 2021 and recharacterized to a Roth, also in 2021.  However, in Lacerte Diagnostics, it says the taxpayer's Roth IRA contribution is disallowed due to modi... See more...
A client contributed to a traditional IRA in 2021 and recharacterized to a Roth, also in 2021.  However, in Lacerte Diagnostics, it says the taxpayer's Roth IRA contribution is disallowed due to modified AGI in excess of the threshold amount.  My question is, is the recharacterization treated the same as a Roth contribution as far as the limitations?  If he converts or recharacterizes it back to a traditional IRA, the contribution to the traditional IRA will also be disallowed due to modified AGI.  Is the diagnostic correct that the Roth contribution is disallowed?  If it is, I assume he will need to withdraw the contribution plus earnings.      
I have the same situation.  The married filing joint vs married filing  separate comparison resulted in the parent claiming the dependents getting that extra amount that the spouse already received. ... See more...
I have the same situation.  The married filing joint vs married filing  separate comparison resulted in the parent claiming the dependents getting that extra amount that the spouse already received.  It seems to me that something is not right with that.  Every married couple could change their filing status to MFS and receive extra child tax credit that they are not really entitled to.  I think it will be a problem that the IRS will catch on to.  Any more thoughts on this?  
A Massachusetts resident purchased a New York Business and wants to register the business as an LLC, which state should she register the LLC, Mass or NY?
Of course, I realize that.  She lived in the home that was torn down.  One of those condos could equal at least the home exclusion amount.  But the question is, is any part of that sale eligible for ... See more...
Of course, I realize that.  She lived in the home that was torn down.  One of those condos could equal at least the home exclusion amount.  But the question is, is any part of that sale eligible for the home exclusion?
1.  A taxpayer tore down his principal residence and built a building with 6 condos in its place.  If she sells all 6 condos, is she eligible to take the home exclusion if she meets the requirements ... See more...
1.  A taxpayer tore down his principal residence and built a building with 6 condos in its place.  If she sells all 6 condos, is she eligible to take the home exclusion if she meets the requirements for years lived there as her principal home?  2.  Assuming that she is eligible for the home exclusion and she exchanges the new property (6 condos) for like-kind property instead of selling the property, how is this reported on Form 8824? 3.  What constitutes a property being investment property as opposed to being held  primarily for sale (which does not qualify for the tax-free exchange)?
Form k-1 (Form 1065) shows a federal loss, but due to depreciation differences, the state of Massachusetts shows a different amount of loss.  I was just on the phone with Lacerte for a good hour or m... See more...
Form k-1 (Form 1065) shows a federal loss, but due to depreciation differences, the state of Massachusetts shows a different amount of loss.  I was just on the phone with Lacerte for a good hour or more, and they told me that it cannot be done in the program, which to me is crazy.  My question is how do you input the difference for the state in Lacerte.  I tried on the K-1 to put the amount in column 2 under "state, if different".   There must be a way since this is not unusual. 
My client received Form 1099, showing income in box 3.  The income is from the Cares Act-MSMFC.  I know that is is taxable, but I am not sure, but I don't think it needs to be included on his schedul... See more...
My client received Form 1099, showing income in box 3.  The income is from the Cares Act-MSMFC.  I know that is is taxable, but I am not sure, but I don't think it needs to be included on his schedule C and subject to SE tax.  Am I correct?