ERIC J 's Posts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ERIC J 's Posts

I can print Proseries Organizers to SmartVault.  However, I cannot change the specific folder the document is printing to.  Does anyone know how to change the default folder?   By example, SmartVaul... See more...
I can print Proseries Organizers to SmartVault.  However, I cannot change the specific folder the document is printing to.  Does anyone know how to change the default folder?   By example, SmartVault allows client viewing access to be granted to certain folders.  My default goes to a folder in my folder template that is not set up for client viewing access.  It's extremely inefficient to move all these pdf documents manually client by client into the correct folder.   Thanks! Eric  
My tax return data is not saving at times if I leave the file open, step away, and then the Rightnetworks desktop times out on me and closes on its own.  If I havent manually saved the file, I lose a... See more...
My tax return data is not saving at times if I leave the file open, step away, and then the Rightnetworks desktop times out on me and closes on its own.  If I havent manually saved the file, I lose all that input, even though my Auto Save set up is set to every minute.  When I go back into Proseries, I get a messaage about an Auto Recovery File but the link doesnt work and it's a dead end.  IT IS INFURIATING and is causing me a tremendous amount of risk. Anyone else out there with this issue?  Please share.  I've called Support no less than 10 times on this.  No answers.  I've been told a few times to expect a call within 48 hours from a higher up.  They never have called.  I will keep calling.  This is unacceptable.   
I just had the same scenario.  I dont have the PS Fixed Asset module to track depreciation, so I did this:  .  I drafted a 1041 as usual "as if" it were a non-grantor trust.  Then I "Saved as" this f... See more...
I just had the same scenario.  I dont have the PS Fixed Asset module to track depreciation, so I did this:  .  I drafted a 1041 as usual "as if" it were a non-grantor trust.  Then I "Saved as" this file as the file that became my filing copy - in this new file, I changed the type of trust to a Grantor trust and populated the Grantor worksheet using the data generated by the first file, which became my "dummy file" for tracking depreciation going forward.  As long as I remember not to file my dummy file with the IRS I should be OK - Ha!   
No end resolution to this issue was posted.  Can anyone share exactly how they filed a 1040 with the IRS Sec, 475 MTM election?  I am contemplating adding as a MISCELLANEOUS STATEMENT within the sof... See more...
No end resolution to this issue was posted.  Can anyone share exactly how they filed a 1040 with the IRS Sec, 475 MTM election?  I am contemplating adding as a MISCELLANEOUS STATEMENT within the software forms list, and also attaching as a PDF to the e-file (I need to figure this part out).  The IRS risks and potential downside of missing this election are enormous, therefore my plan to is add it both ways, I see no reason not to?   Thanks!  Eric J
Enjoying the thread, hate the non-solution!  Is there any way we can make written appeals, comments and suggestions to ProSeries to add features?  THIS IS #1 IN MY BOOK.  IT'S MY THIRD YEAR SUCKINGIT... See more...
Enjoying the thread, hate the non-solution!  Is there any way we can make written appeals, comments and suggestions to ProSeries to add features?  THIS IS #1 IN MY BOOK.  IT'S MY THIRD YEAR SUCKINGIT UP AND MANUALLY PRINTING 8879s SIGNING AT BOTTOM THEN SCANNING BACK TO BE IRS COMPLIANT.  RIDICULOUS? OR, do we all just accept by now that Proseries is DOOMED any day now and we will all be pitched Lacerte instead?  
MY 1040 PRINTORDER IS RANDOMLY OUT OF ORDER THE FIRST SEVERAL PAGES OF EVERY ONE OF MY CLIENT COPY 1040s.  EVEN THOUGH THE DISPLAYED ORDERING IS NOT SET UP THAT WAY IN THE PRINT OPTIONS.  SEEMS LIKE ... See more...
MY 1040 PRINTORDER IS RANDOMLY OUT OF ORDER THE FIRST SEVERAL PAGES OF EVERY ONE OF MY CLIENT COPY 1040s.  EVEN THOUGH THE DISPLAYED ORDERING IS NOT SET UP THAT WAY IN THE PRINT OPTIONS.  SEEMS LIKE DIFFERENT RANDOM SCHEDULES EACH TIME.  I KNOW AT LEAST ONE OTHER USER HAVING SAME ISSUES.  I'VE GOTTEN A FEW SNARKY CLIENT COMMENTS so my blood pressure is rising over this annoyance.  SEEMS TO BE A BUG.  ANYONE SEE ANY NEWS FOR AN INTUIT FIX ON THIS?  
Yes, thank you Terry, I tried your recommendation but still cannot get the "N" to print on F8949.  I found your nominee explanation statement and filled it out (although it is titled for nominee repo... See more...
Yes, thank you Terry, I tried your recommendation but still cannot get the "N" to print on F8949.  I found your nominee explanation statement and filled it out (although it is titled for nominee reporting for "Capital Gain Distributions" not Form 8949 sale transactions like mine).  I seem to have all the input correct in Part X line 7 and otherwise of the Capital Gain Transaction Worksheet.  Still no luck.   My workaround is to plug my cost basis to match the proceeds for a ZERO Gain/Loss.  In the description field, I added the verbiage "Nominee Only-Reported at EIN xx-xxxxxxx".  Hopefully I can at least avoid an IRS CP2000 matching notice this way. For emphasis, I'm also adding a general explanation statement to the 1040 explaining the details of the nominee transaction and its proper reporting on the tax return for the actual owner of the income.  
Thank you, but the link instructions did not resolve my issue.  I don't think the 2019 software supports Form 8949 code "N" (nominee).  For 2020 version, it works fine - I enter the Sch D sale transa... See more...
Thank you, but the link instructions did not resolve my issue.  I don't think the 2019 software supports Form 8949 code "N" (nominee).  For 2020 version, it works fine - I enter the Sch D sale transaction, then double click - it takes me to a Capital Gain Adjustment worksheet - Part III Specific Adjustments - and check the box for "N".  Then it properly zeroes out the gain or loss as an adjustment.
Using version 2019 Professional, I can't get s Code "N" (nominee) adjustment to gain/loss to show up on Form 8949 column (f).  I have followed the instructions per the link below to input my transact... See more...
Using version 2019 Professional, I can't get s Code "N" (nominee) adjustment to gain/loss to show up on Form 8949 column (f).  I have followed the instructions per the link below to input my transaction.  The dollar amount adjustment shows up in column (g), but the Code "N" won't show up on Form 8949.  Help! https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/individual/help/entering-multiple-codes-on-individual-form-8949-column-f/00/4245 Thank you!  Eric 
Just filing 1041 late. No tax due. 
I was referencing the informal discussion - I'm not aware of formal "guidance" either.  Sorry to mislead with my choice of words.  The informal discussion instructed us to write COVID 19 at the top o... See more...
I was referencing the informal discussion - I'm not aware of formal "guidance" either.  Sorry to mislead with my choice of words.  The informal discussion instructed us to write COVID 19 at the top of page 1 of a late filed return.  So my question was software geared - wondering if Pro Series allows for ANNOTATED TEXT to be written on the return.  I don't think so but not sure if Pro Series added a trick for this specific scenario.  I have added an Explanatory Statement to the Form 1041 per the informal discussion.  None of this probably helps with an e-file anyway.  An IRS notice seems inevitable at which point I would ask for abatement - first by referencing the informal discussion.  
What are peeps doing?  Did Pro Series add a feature for us per this IRS guidance, or maybe add an EXPLANATION STATEMENT to the e-filed return?  thanks Eric 
No I didn't I wasn't aware of this feature.  Very good I got it!  Thanks very much 🙂  Eric
How do I get the instructions and client letter to update for 1040X from a 1040?  To prep the 1040X, I "saved as" the 1040 file as originally filed, prepped 1040X, and my instructions and letter stil... See more...
How do I get the instructions and client letter to update for 1040X from a 1040?  To prep the 1040X, I "saved as" the 1040 file as originally filed, prepped 1040X, and my instructions and letter still reference a Form 1040.  Thank you, Eric
Filing 2018 CA 540 now (late).  How do I get program to calculate late payment of tax and late filing penalties with the return?  (just the 1040) Thanks  
EIC just by its nature has been rumored to increase odds of IRS audit.  For a $7 credit that is really my main motivation.  Thanks
CALCULATING A $7 EIC.  I RATHER NOT TAKE IT AND DO THE CERTIFICATIONS FOR $7.  HOW TO SUPPRESS IT WITHOUT UGLY OVERRIDES?  THANKS!  ERIC 
Thanks.    If an activity is not regular and continuous, then it is not a trade or business reportable on Sch C.   But IRS instructions say report 1099 box 7 income anyway on a Sch C.  This appears t... See more...
Thanks.    If an activity is not regular and continuous, then it is not a trade or business reportable on Sch C.   But IRS instructions say report 1099 box 7 income anyway on a Sch C.  This appears to be  somewhat contradictory, so I still think in this situation one option is to pay the SE tax consistent with the 1099 reporting in box 7 (if the payer of the income won't change the 1099) but report as Other Income not as Sch C.  And don't take QBID.  Or as someone else suggested, report on Sch C but forego QBID.  I'll go with the Sch C, even though I still think it's a bit unclear in this situation.  Thanks again!  
I'm acquiescing to the 1099-Misc box 7 reporting and paying the SE tax.  So I'm not taking "the benefit of both options".  I'm just saying there is no requirement to report SE income on a Schedule C.... See more...
I'm acquiescing to the 1099-Misc box 7 reporting and paying the SE tax.  So I'm not taking "the benefit of both options".  I'm just saying there is no requirement to report SE income on a Schedule C.   Thanks for your input everyone.  I'm going to just report it on the Schedule C after all since there's no other software option.    
Thanks Lisa!  I agree that tagging it to the Sch C is the cleanest trail.  However, over the years I have reported 1099-Misc as Other Income and included Schedule SE rather than on Sch C without gene... See more...
Thanks Lisa!  I agree that tagging it to the Sch C is the cleanest trail.  However, over the years I have reported 1099-Misc as Other Income and included Schedule SE rather than on Sch C without generating IRS CP 2000 notices.  I'm not aware of a REQUIREMENT that SE income gets reported on a Schedule C.