taxes's Posts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

taxes's Posts

I think Proseries is double counting medical care insurance paid through the Govt Marketplace (Form 1095-A plus or minus PTC reconciliation items) - Wisconsin Schedule 1, Itemized Deduction Credit -... See more...
I think Proseries is double counting medical care insurance paid through the Govt Marketplace (Form 1095-A plus or minus PTC reconciliation items) - Wisconsin Schedule 1, Itemized Deduction Credit -Worksheet for Medical Care Insurance, Line 1 should be pulling the amount from Federal Schedule A, Medical Expenses Worksheet, Line 2a, 2b, and 2c. It is currently excluding 2b which is causing the WI return to double count the insurance premiums paid through the Marketplace. Is there a workaround other than OVERRIDING the # on Line 1 IDR W/S?  
The setup for printer options- control which forms to print, is very time consuming as it is difficult to find the form you want to suppress printing. Please add a lookup/search box in the setup menu... See more...
The setup for printer options- control which forms to print, is very time consuming as it is difficult to find the form you want to suppress printing. Please add a lookup/search box in the setup menu to make it easier to find the form. Also, it would be helpful if the printer options setup could be carried over from one year to the next.
Hello, I am completing Form 1041 for a trust. The grantor died in 2022. The investments in the trust, when liquidated, resulted in a capital gain. All cash was distributed to the beneficiary in 2022.... See more...
Hello, I am completing Form 1041 for a trust. The grantor died in 2022. The investments in the trust, when liquidated, resulted in a capital gain. All cash was distributed to the beneficiary in 2022.  The trust paid property taxes in 2022 that are deducted on page 1 of the 1041 to arrive at Distributable Net Income. Which makes sense. For the K1 though, the property taxes are being deducted from the Long Term Capital Gain, and the LTCG on line 4a of the K1 is the net number. Is that correct?  So for example, the LTCG on the investments is $50,000, property taxes were $7,000. So the Capital Gain on the K1 is $43,000. Is that correct? 
I am doing a return for a new client who took the Am Opp Tax Credit for his son's 1st and 2nd and 3rd years of college. Year 4 he took the Lifetime Learning Credit (LLC) even though his son qualified... See more...
I am doing a return for a new client who took the Am Opp Tax Credit for his son's 1st and 2nd and 3rd years of college. Year 4 he took the Lifetime Learning Credit (LLC) even though his son qualified for the AOTC as he was a full-time student. In 2022, the son was full-time in the spring semester then graduated. Is he eligible for the AOTC in 2022 since he only took the AOTC for 3 years even though in 2021 he could have taken the AOTC but opted for the LLC?   Technically, he meets the requirements: more than half-time student, attending a qualified university, had not finished his 4th academic year as of 1/1/2022, and had only taken the AOTC for 3 past years. It seems like a savvy tax strategy as it maximizes the amount of college credit one student can take over 4 academic years (5 tax years if they start in the fall semester), but is only possible if the tax preparer does not check the 'full-time student' box on the Taxpayer Student Info W/S. IRS literature says you cannot take both credits in the same year, but I cannot find anything about taking the LLC in between the ATOC.
I wish the printer option settings could be somehow saved from year to year so we did not have to go through the cumbersome, time consuming task of removing forms to print each year. Or if there was ... See more...
I wish the printer option settings could be somehow saved from year to year so we did not have to go through the cumbersome, time consuming task of removing forms to print each year. Or if there was a search bar to find a form (or more likely a worksheet or support schedule) that we wanted to change to "Never" print. This process currently takes a long time each year.
The partnership is NOT subject to section 163(j) limitation. Therefore form 8990 does not apply to the partnership. However, how do I get the information such as 3 years of gross receipts, business i... See more...
The partnership is NOT subject to section 163(j) limitation. Therefore form 8990 does not apply to the partnership. However, how do I get the information such as 3 years of gross receipts, business interest expense and adjusted taxable income as a footnote on the partner K1? I have tried to enter information on the 8990 but it still does not generate information for the partner K1. What am I missing? Thank you.
Not sure if you can answer this or maybe someone from Intuit can respond: We have a client with two 1099-B's from two different investment companies (all LT covered tx with no adj). Can we simply ad... See more...
Not sure if you can answer this or maybe someone from Intuit can respond: We have a client with two 1099-B's from two different investment companies (all LT covered tx with no adj). Can we simply add the Proceeds and Cost Basis from the two forms and enter the Total on 'Form 1099-B Worksheet' in the Box titled 'Form 8949 Reporting Exception Transactions'? Or can that simple method only be used if there is only ONE Form 1099-B from ONE investment company?
We just encountered the same Proseries Glitch! College Dependent (now age 20) was being calculated as a qualified dependent for the EIP1 and EIP2 giving the taxpayer an additional $500+$600 ($1,100) ... See more...
We just encountered the same Proseries Glitch! College Dependent (now age 20) was being calculated as a qualified dependent for the EIP1 and EIP2 giving the taxpayer an additional $500+$600 ($1,100) in rebate recovery which is not accurate. We think this is because the "child" was under age 17 during 2018.  FIX- we deleted the dependent and re-entered. The EIP1+2 calculation was then accurate  We hope Intuit corrects this glitch very soon!
That made me take a second look. It's actually just the lower income taxpayer because of the Tax Table calc vs.  using brackets. Thanks.
Is anyone else finding that Proseries is calculating regular tax $3.00 more than what it actually should be? I normally would never notice $3, but happened to have a very simple return that made it p... See more...
Is anyone else finding that Proseries is calculating regular tax $3.00 more than what it actually should be? I normally would never notice $3, but happened to have a very simple return that made it pop out at me. Then I looked at a few other returns and found the calc to be off by $3 exactly on each one.
It appears to me that on page 29 of the 1040 instructions, the last paragraph under IRA's, that if multiple distributions, the gross on 4a should include ALL distributions even if taxable amount is e... See more...
It appears to me that on page 29 of the 1040 instructions, the last paragraph under IRA's, that if multiple distributions, the gross on 4a should include ALL distributions even if taxable amount is equal to the gross amount. See instruction paragraph below: More than one distribution. If you (or your spouse if filing jointly) received more than one distribution, figure the taxable amount of each distribution and enter the total of the taxable amounts on line 4b. Enter the total amount of those distributions on line 4a.  Has anyone received a notice because 4a did not include the gross IRA distribution for amounts that were fully taxable and therefore line 4a is less than 4b?