The-Tax-Lady's Posts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The-Tax-Lady's Posts

Absolutely! 😂
I ended up with an actual Field Audit of a 2014 return, back in 2018. IRS initially determined the taxpayer owed $247.00, instead of processing it correctly as a refund of the $247.00 due to the taxp... See more...
I ended up with an actual Field Audit of a 2014 return, back in 2018. IRS initially determined the taxpayer owed $247.00, instead of processing it correctly as a refund of the $247.00 due to the taxpayer. I could not get thru to anyone that understood it should have been the refund. WTF? $247.00, a field audit? I laughed when I got the notice that they would like to do this in May 2018. I called and said "sure stop by whenever you want". I LMAO until I found out about all the documentation, bank statements and everything else the taxpayer was required to provide. My client was terrified, even though I assured them they would not have to be there, as per the Field Agent, and that we would be successful when it was done.  A very nice Field Agent came in, spent the entire day pouring over this simple little return and all the documents, and the only question she asked was "why I depreciated a bobcat used in the operation of their small farm for 7 years instead of 5 years" I got out my handy dandy, Deluxe Edition of the Tax Book for 2014 and showed her the 7-year property, Asset Class, 01.1, Agriculture and that resolved that major issue. It took about 6 months for my clients to get their refund of $247.00, which almost covered the charges from their bank for reproducing all the old bank statements, which they couldn't find. Of course, the couple each had 2 individual accounts, checking and savings, at two separate banks, in addition to their joint account at a 3rd bank. When I received the notice that the correction was made and a refund would be issued, I called the wife to let her know and then, she mistakenly text me, instead of the husband "It's OK, no jail time". I could not believe they were that scared over nothing, but they didn't believe me, I guess, when I reassured them over and over that it would be OK. Every time I hear on the news that the IRS is unable to audit taxpayers, due to staff shortages, I laugh and yell at the TV, "I know where one of them wasted an entire day" It was so ridiculous, I couldn't even bring myself to charge the clients anything for my wasted day. It was my first and last audit, "Knock on wood"😂
Try the Taxpayer's Advocate office. If they accept the case, which they should, they will get the prevailing case of "terminal dumb ass" resolved for you and the taxpayer. I've worked with them on a ... See more...
Try the Taxpayer's Advocate office. If they accept the case, which they should, they will get the prevailing case of "terminal dumb ass" resolved for you and the taxpayer. I've worked with them on a few hopelessly, fuc*ed up returns and they are great, at least in my experience.
Unfortunately, it's our new reality, and not likely to improve due to the increasing state of anger and  misinformation that are now part of our everyday life. I still think the internet is the rea... See more...
Unfortunately, it's our new reality, and not likely to improve due to the increasing state of anger and  misinformation that are now part of our everyday life. I still think the internet is the real Anti-Christ. It's just so scary and volatile out there.
I would have paid the "Fast Path" fee, which became a separate charge a few years ago, for TY2021, just to be able to e-file TY2020, Amended returns. I asked the sales department if Intuit would co... See more...
I would have paid the "Fast Path" fee, which became a separate charge a few years ago, for TY2021, just to be able to e-file TY2020, Amended returns. I asked the sales department if Intuit would consider a stand alone charge for just the Fast Path option, without getting the current tax year software, but it fell on deaf ears.  It would have been a great option, for me personally, since I retired in November of the 2021 and closed my practice. But we all know that just because tax season ends, doesn't mean the IRS won't be sending notices at any given time down the road. Especially after Covid and all it brought to the tax table. Once again, penny wise thinking on Intuit's part, let them miss a great revenue opportunity by being pound foolish. All or nothing, I guess. The software has been lacking, for years, in many areas that an easy correction would have been a great benefit for all concerned. Unfortunately, the overall attitude is "here's what we got, deal with it" as the disclaimer in the Terms and Agreement so clearly state. "We do not guarantee that anything will work correctly" is pretty much the gist of it. I was pretty amazed and impressed at how well the Free File software at IRS.gov, worked from day one, when I used it to file a few free family returns. Family never lets you retire.😁 I believe the IRS, in the next 10 years, will develop a system for e-filing directly by the taxpayer. Even better, just send me a notice, based on all the income forms received by both the taxpayer and the IRS, and tell me what I owe or what I will receive as a refund. If I don't agree, then maybe a tax preparer gets involved. It would work for many individual taxpayers with simple returns. Best of luck to all and thank God the "All-Stars" still give enough of a **bleep** to keep this forum running by providing the only source of solutions to Intuit's glaring indifference for the quality of their products. Did I mention, I don't miss tax season one bit? 😂😂
The 230 regulation is explained in Terry53029's reply above. I understand the poster just wants an easy, no additional cost, method of collecting the prep fee. Don't we all. However the banking ind... See more...
The 230 regulation is explained in Terry53029's reply above. I understand the poster just wants an easy, no additional cost, method of collecting the prep fee. Don't we all. However the banking industry controls that type of transaction, Direct Debit from a bank account. If Intuit decided to implement this option, it would probably be farmed out to a third party provider and cost a ridiculous annual amount on top of the software. Most banks have a free, on-line method of paying anyone from the customer's account, electronically or by mailed check. I have several clients pay me directly from their bank accounts. Best method, get paid before you file the return, use a Bank Product if you're in doubt the client will pay.  
Email an encrypted PDF of the return or print and mail using Priority Mail, flat rate, with tracking and delivery confirmation.
I was wondering if we were all reduced to numbers now? I just happened to log in, so thanks for the heads up. I was thinking it was probably all the new EA's with the credentials but no practical e... See more...
I was wondering if we were all reduced to numbers now? I just happened to log in, so thanks for the heads up. I was thinking it was probably all the new EA's with the credentials but no practical experience.  Enjoying my retirement, which I highly recommend to anyone that's ready and can do it. Thanks IRonMaN for all the years this forum and you, got me thru the tax years. 🙂
It's against the IRS Circular 230 regulations for the tax preparer to directly receive any portion of the taxpayer's refund for payment of the tax prep fee. The taxpayer cannot authorize this payment... See more...
It's against the IRS Circular 230 regulations for the tax preparer to directly receive any portion of the taxpayer's refund for payment of the tax prep fee. The taxpayer cannot authorize this payment to be made to the preparer, unless a Third Party, Bank Product has been selected thru the software to process the refund. What are we opening up for a vote, violating the 230 regulations?
 "If this is not a military address and the entry of AA, AE or AP are not valid, delete and enter the correct state" do not complete the rest of the steps.
The software will not do what you want because it does not have the ability to do so. If you're filing a CA 990-N, follow the directions in the link or go directly to the CA tax website for an answ... See more...
The software will not do what you want because it does not have the ability to do so. If you're filing a CA 990-N, follow the directions in the link or go directly to the CA tax website for an answer.
If it's a cash business, use zero for the amount of the beginning inventory.
Since it's June, if the taxpayer had excess Roth contributions in 2021, it's too late to return the excess amount before the filing date, 4/18/2022, and avoid the penalty on the 2021 tax return.
What are you asking? Itemized deductions have to be greater than the standard deduction for MFJ. Complete Schedule A and if you want to force Itemized deductions that are less than the standard deduc... See more...
What are you asking? Itemized deductions have to be greater than the standard deduction for MFJ. Complete Schedule A and if you want to force Itemized deductions that are less than the standard deduction, check the box on the Federal Info Worksheet.
Are you trying to suppress the 5329 and why?
It's giving you the option of including an exemption number on form 5329, if an exemption exists. If not, it's just an alert for the 10% early withdrawal penalty that will be charged on the tax return.
If you are filing a Municipal return for a tax due or refund of less than $10.00, it will not be collected or refunded. Ohio rule. Maybe the software will not let you file a non-resident Municipal ... See more...
If you are filing a Municipal return for a tax due or refund of less than $10.00, it will not be collected or refunded. Ohio rule. Maybe the software will not let you file a non-resident Municipal return, if that will be the outcome. If that is the case, uncheck the RITA return and file.
Traditional School Districts tax a percentage amount on the Ohio taxable income, based on Lines 19-23 on the SD 100. Earned Income School Districts tax on all earned income, based on Lines 24-27 on... See more...
Traditional School Districts tax a percentage amount on the Ohio taxable income, based on Lines 19-23 on the SD 100. Earned Income School Districts tax on all earned income, based on Lines 24-27 on the SD 100. The AGI is just the starting point for Ohio, and the $300 in charitable deduction on the 1040, reduces the AGI so it will not equal the W2, box 1 totals. There should not be any error if you let the software do it's job and not override fields.
Congratulations! and welcome to ProSeries 🙂
If you don't have a State return then skip that part. You should be unchecking the efile box on the return that has the red duplicate ssn message, not the amended return.