gn's Posts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gn's Posts

yes however each state has its own rules so applied for worked to efile the federal return, but some states applied for was rejected. I had to call and they required something different like all 9's ... See more...
yes however each state has its own rules so applied for worked to efile the federal return, but some states applied for was rejected. I had to call and they required something different like all 9's to accept an efile. Lacerte helpline wasn't helpful on this topic the community responses were very helpful and calling the state help line directly was helpful to find the efile workaround since some states have different requirements when the tax id is not yet received by the signing officer.
I have an individual return 1040 where a rental property was sold and the loss carryforward from prior years was deducted in taxable income. The NJ 1040 does not take the loss I cannot figure out how... See more...
I have an individual return 1040 where a rental property was sold and the loss carryforward from prior years was deducted in taxable income. The NJ 1040 does not take the loss I cannot figure out how to get the loss to be deducted in the year of sale its sitting on form NJ BUS2 as a loss carryforward even though the property is sold. The taxpayer has no other passive rental activity so does this mean the loss is carried forward until they do and will never be used or is there anyway to get this to be taken in the year of sale similar to the federal return. I don't do many NJ returns does this mean NJ does not allow losses to be taken when carried forward on the sale? the sale price was the same as the purchase price so no gain or loss on sale. 
Seems these days life estates/asset protection trusts have become more popular and your right they sometimes get surprised come tax time. 
You might deal with normal localities but a place like NYC which can take up to a year to get the court to appoint an executor/administrator in normal times then add being closed for months during co... See more...
You might deal with normal localities but a place like NYC which can take up to a year to get the court to appoint an executor/administrator in normal times then add being closed for months during covid lockdown and it goes over a year with ease where the family can’t do anything like in this case.  So your saying prep 1099’s from the decedent to the estate for the income, but isn’t that already late filing for calendar 2020? If I did the nominee distribution is the 1099 required or would a statement explaining the split income filed with the tax return suffice? I’m kind of tempted to put the whole 2020 income on the final 1040 and use the estate 1041 for 2021 income assuming there really is no little guy with a green eye shade looking that you may have missed I had a similar issue with savings bonds they were cashed by the estate and passed the interest income out in the DNI to the beneficiaries so the tax was much lower when divided up by a few beneficiaries on their personal returns then including a much larger income amount on the decedents final return. 
In lacerte how do we split income and taxes withheld between the decedent's final 1040 and the estate 1041 in the same year? An example is with a 1099 of interest income for 2020 the decedent dies Ma... See more...
In lacerte how do we split income and taxes withheld between the decedent's final 1040 and the estate 1041 in the same year? An example is with a 1099 of interest income for 2020 the decedent dies March 31st and pick up 3 months of interest and tax withheld on the final 1040, then the estate 1041 picks up the 9 months after death reported on the same 1099 to the decedent which covers all of 2020, so the bank does not split a 1099 between the decedent and the estate, the bank gives 1 form 1099 covering all of 2020 to the decedent.  How is this shown on the Schedule B is it the total interest on the 1099 on the decedent's final 1040 with a negative taking out the 9 months which goes to the estate 1041? If so is there a description to use on both returns. Also the bigger question, is there a requirement to prepare a second form 1099 for the 9 months of income and taxes withheld to the estate from the decedent? How does the IRS and state know the split comes from the total on the same 1099 from the bank? 
Going forward the passive loss limitation is capped with a MAGI above 150k which they will be so it does them no tax benefit to take full bonus depreciation this year and the state does not follow fe... See more...
Going forward the passive loss limitation is capped with a MAGI above 150k which they will be so it does them no tax benefit to take full bonus depreciation this year and the state does not follow federal so its best to not take it for improvements made in 2020. In Lacerte when entering in the asset there is a box to check to not calculate bonus or SDA depreciation. By checking the box on screen 22 the asset input screen you change the calc to the entire useful life not the full year first year depreciation in 2020. However it does not add in the election to the tax return, it has an informational diagnostic stating you did not make the election but it does not prevent an efiling of the return. So my question is is the election required to opt out of bonus depr if its not there will it bring any IRS questions or any unwanted correspondence or do we have to make the official election and make it part of the return?     
When deciding not to take 1st year bonus depreciation for 7 year property improvements for a rental property recorded on Sch E on a 1040 does the election have to be made on screen 46 in Lacerte or c... See more...
When deciding not to take 1st year bonus depreciation for 7 year property improvements for a rental property recorded on Sch E on a 1040 does the election have to be made on screen 46 in Lacerte or can you opt out of taking the bonus depreciation on screen 22 by checking the elect out of SDA and not make the election? It shows up as an informational diagnostic which means you can efile without making it but will this cause an issue with the IRS meaning will it automatically send a letter to the taxpayer for more information?  Does opting out prevent the taxpayer from bonus depreciation for this property for all asset classes even though its expires in 2025, if not sooner? or is the election only for that property class for that year?  The taxpayer has existing passive loss limitations so bonus depreciation in 2020 gives no tax benefit.   
I have a client who just came to me with a few 1099-B's from a few brokerage accounts with thousands of lines of short term stock trades. Since all trades are short term there are also thousands of t... See more...
I have a client who just came to me with a few 1099-B's from a few brokerage accounts with thousands of lines of short term stock trades. Since all trades are short term there are also thousands of those trades with wash sale adjustments. Since Lacerte has a limitation on entering this many trades with no ability to enter wash sales unless I go in and enter it line by line which will take days, does anyone else have a work around for this? I am thinking of entering the summary data on input screen 17 for sales but not sure if I have to enter the summary by security in each account on separate lines or if I can just enter the totals by brokerage account on one line and how do I link it to the attached pdf's of the brokers 1099-B's?  Has anyone done this before, how did you enter the summary was it by brokerage account in total on one line or by security by brokerage account on separate lines and where there any IRS or state inquiries? 
Thanks, but which box do i enter the months or years? There seems to be a straight line option method 91 I guess if I put 30 years in the class life I can get a 30 year s/l amortization  
Does anyone know how to enter the costs of a loan refinancing on a rental property on screen 22 in lacerte. Its a residential rental Schedule E asset. Is the Category in the drop down box Category 7-... See more...
Does anyone know how to enter the costs of a loan refinancing on a rental property on screen 22 in lacerte. Its a residential rental Schedule E asset. Is the Category in the drop down box Category 7-Miscellanous or 8-Amortization on screen 22 the input screen? Also the mortgage is a 30 year mortgage how do I get a 30 year period I do not see it in the method drop down box. How can I get a 30 year period I'm guessing  have to override this someplace but not sure where to do it on screen 22?
That's true however you can show the gross interest earned then show the tax exempt part which nets on schedule B which gives a detail of what was entered, sort of a road map. It seems like lacerte d... See more...
That's true however you can show the gross interest earned then show the tax exempt part which nets on schedule B which gives a detail of what was entered, sort of a road map. It seems like lacerte does not show the gross amount on schedule B then shows the tax exempt part as an adjustment which nets to the taxable number. I guess its in presentation but gets to the same total on the 1040. I saw your other reply about a worksheet in lacerte I don't see one in the file I see a list of taxable interest income only so the non taxable income doesn't show up anywhere except on line 2a of the 1040. Is there a worksheet im missing of detail which shows all these adjustments?      
Hi George, Thanks for the reply, if I am understanding your treatment. You create multiple 1099 lines for the same 1099 on the interest screen #11 and give them different descriptions to breakout or... See more...
Hi George, Thanks for the reply, if I am understanding your treatment. You create multiple 1099 lines for the same 1099 on the interest screen #11 and give them different descriptions to breakout or gross up the detail where if we use one screen and enter all the data lacerte seems to net it all together and nothing shows up on schedule B. I'm assuming you do the same for 1099 OID for the box 6 and box 11 where the amounts go in and out in the same amount and do not show up on schedule B either if you have the in and out on the same OID adjustment line. But do they show up on Schedule B using your method, I don't see any detail showing up on Schedule B and there is over $1,500 of non taxable interest.     so they all show up on schedule B. 
I have a 1099 with box 8 tax-exempt interest and box 13 bond premium on tax exempt bonds. When I enter them on page#11 on the same 1099 input form they net against each other on the 1040 line 2a and ... See more...
I have a 1099 with box 8 tax-exempt interest and box 13 bond premium on tax exempt bonds. When I enter them on page#11 on the same 1099 input form they net against each other on the 1040 line 2a and do not show up on schedule B or in any detail on the 1040 to show they are netted together. The 1099 also has supplemental information which is for municipal bonds purchased with accrued interest paid. Some of the bonds listed look like they had interest paid in 2020, but not all bonds. I am assuming I have to adjust the bonds which paid interest by reducing the tax exempt interest received by the tax exempt interest paid when they were bought in 2020. In looking at page#11 where do I put the interest paid and how do I enter it as a negative adjustment? Will this show anywhere on the 1040, or be netted like the box 8 and box 13 amounts are?   Will the taxpayer get a letter for not having itax exepmt interest rie oput to eh 1099 is lacerte nets this all together without any detial?  
Hi All, I am trying to finalize an 1120S which has a 1377 election to close the books on specific periods. This is a passive rental company so all inputs are on form 8825 which feeds the return. I w... See more...
Hi All, I am trying to finalize an 1120S which has a 1377 election to close the books on specific periods. This is a passive rental company so all inputs are on form 8825 which feeds the return. I was able to override the totals on the K-1 page 1 on input screen 33 in Lacerte, so all K-1's are correct by line shareholder using the 1377 election period. I now have page #2 which details the revenue expense and net income from box 2 rental income using the weighted average method so there is a large rounding difference.  Does anyone know how to override the page#2 detail for line#2 rental income expense and net income? 
Yes I should have stated ITIN not an SS#. But I'm filing form 1120 and if you look on the detail screen or input screen#2 on the 1120 form you will see the required officer info. I disabled the efile... See more...
Yes I should have stated ITIN not an SS#. But I'm filing form 1120 and if you look on the detail screen or input screen#2 on the 1120 form you will see the required officer info. I disabled the efile diagnostics and efiled I will let you know if its accepted or if I have to file a paper return. 
The signing officers name, address & ITIN are required to efile Form 1120 which goes on detail section form 2. With one of the items missing the efile will be rejected for all Form 1120's. You may be... See more...
The signing officers name, address & ITIN are required to efile Form 1120 which goes on detail section form 2. With one of the items missing the efile will be rejected for all Form 1120's. You may be confusing with a different form or in looking at Form 1120 you would be correct its no where to be seen but its required for efiling.  I'm trying to see if anyone can efile without an officer ITIN which is in process or if this has to be paper filed, or if I turn off the diagnostics and efile will it be accepted? 
its required for the signing officer on page#2, name, address ss# etc. the return cannot be efiled missing that info. my guess is this will have to be paper filed with an explanation unless someone k... See more...
its required for the signing officer on page#2, name, address ss# etc. the return cannot be efiled missing that info. my guess is this will have to be paper filed with an explanation unless someone knows how to efile with a missing ss# which has been applied for but not yet received by the signing officer. 
I have an 1120 with a foreign officer who will sign the return. He applied for a social security number with the IRS well over 10 weeks ago and has not gotten a reply so he has no tax id number which... See more...
I have an 1120 with a foreign officer who will sign the return. He applied for a social security number with the IRS well over 10 weeks ago and has not gotten a reply so he has no tax id number which is required to sign a return as an officer. Is there a way we can designate this in lacerte and still efile the return such as a designation like "applied for" or something to that effect in place of the social security number? Or are we stuck with filing a paper return with an explanation of the applied for status of the social security number and will it be accepted? Any experiences out there on this topic would be appreciated
I noticed as of yesterday that when printing to pdf of a return the pdf file size has gone from 3-4 MB to over 30MB. Any idea how to get this size down to normal so i can email the returns to clients... See more...
I noticed as of yesterday that when printing to pdf of a return the pdf file size has gone from 3-4 MB to over 30MB. Any idea how to get this size down to normal so i can email the returns to clients for review? I'm not sure why this has happened but I cannot get these out in an email at this size 
I like your answer, lets hope that Lacerte and the IRS have approved this to be correct and I can efile this return.