eeyore's Posts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eeyore's Posts

The tax-exempt (501-c(3)) organization received a contribution from one of its board members.  It's my understanding that board members are considered disqualified persons, and their contributions ar... See more...
The tax-exempt (501-c(3)) organization received a contribution from one of its board members.  It's my understanding that board members are considered disqualified persons, and their contributions are not included in the numerator for the public support percentage.  How do I get the program to exclude the board member's contribution from the calculation?  I see where it gets entered for Part III and Part IV, but not for Part II.  Do I just do an override in the "ID of Excess Contributions" screen for the entire contribution? Surely I am missing something.  Can anyone help me? Thanks!
Preparing a K-2 for a partnership with only US Source Income.  The only income is dividends, and all of the dividends are qualified dividends.  I must be doing something wrong, because the K-3 to the... See more...
Preparing a K-2 for a partnership with only US Source Income.  The only income is dividends, and all of the dividends are qualified dividends.  I must be doing something wrong, because the K-3 to the partners shows the ordinary dividends on line 7 (I was thinking this line should be blank), and the qualified dividends on line 8.  As a result, line 24 is adding these two lines together, and consequently overstating total income.  Interestingly, the K-2 is generating correctly-nothing for ordinary dividends, and line 24 is correct. Since all of the partnership income is US source, absolutely nothing foreign going on, I checked the box in screen 78 "Compute US source gross income and deductions (if no foreign activity)".  Unchecking the box didn't resolve the problem. Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong, or not doing? Thanks!
One of our LLC clients, a partnership, has held as its only asset a rental property for five or so years.  In 2021, they decided to sell the rental property and terminate the partnership.  Instead of... See more...
One of our LLC clients, a partnership, has held as its only asset a rental property for five or so years.  In 2021, they decided to sell the rental property and terminate the partnership.  Instead of receiving her sales proceeds in cash, one of the partners decided to do a 1031 exchange.  As required by the exchange rules, her proceeds were held by an intermediary agent, and when the time came, those proceeds were applied to the new property.  All the timing rules associated with a 1031 exchange were followed. I haven't been able to figure out how logistically (and properly, of course) to handle this transaction.  Since it doesn't look like there's a way to report a like-kind exchange for part of a property at the partnership level, should I just pass the sale through to the individuals, and then somehow report the like kind exchange at the individual level? If anyone has any experience or thoughts about this transaction, I would really appreciate your insights. Thank You!
Hi Betty Jo- I think the problem hasn't been resolved yet.  Just tried e-filing a 990-T, and received Validation Failure Error 54:Validation Failure Code 1054. Can you check on the status of resolv... See more...
Hi Betty Jo- I think the problem hasn't been resolved yet.  Just tried e-filing a 990-T, and received Validation Failure Error 54:Validation Failure Code 1054. Can you check on the status of resolving this issue? Many Thanks!
I have a Corporate client in Virginia who also does business in Texas, and files a Texas return.  Their gross receipts are clearly less than the $20,000,000 limit, so they should be able to file a Te... See more...
I have a Corporate client in Virginia who also does business in Texas, and files a Texas return.  Their gross receipts are clearly less than the $20,000,000 limit, so they should be able to file a Texas return, but the program isn't permitting; it automatically generates the long form.  Is there a toggle to change this? Thanks!
The instructions to the Texas Franchise Return indicate that corporations with $20 million or less in annualized total revenue may choose to file using the EZ Computation Report (Form 05-169), but I ... See more...
The instructions to the Texas Franchise Return indicate that corporations with $20 million or less in annualized total revenue may choose to file using the EZ Computation Report (Form 05-169), but I can't figure out why Lacerte keeps trying to generate the 05-158 reports.  Total revenue is $3.5 million. It looks like I wouldn't have to worry about the Cost of Goods Sold adjustments if I do the EZ return, which is very appealing to me, especially since when all is said and done, the corporation doesn't owe any tax. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Thanks!  The schedule is now sitting in the Perm File.
I have an individual taxpayer who has invested in partnerships that either are foreign partnerships or have transferred property to a foreign corporation.  I think I'm okay on Forms 8865 and 8938, bu... See more...
I have an individual taxpayer who has invested in partnerships that either are foreign partnerships or have transferred property to a foreign corporation.  I think I'm okay on Forms 8865 and 8938, but am really uncertain about filing Forms 926 and 114. Form 926, I thought that a filing was required if an individual taxpayer directly or indirectly transfers cash to a foreign corporation and immediately after the transfer holds at least 10% of the total voting power or total value of the foreign corp, or the amount transferred by the person to the foreign corporation during the 12 month period ending on the date of the transfer exceeds $100k. However, in my reading of the actual IRS instructions, I can't find this language (maybe the law has changed?). It's looking like I need to file Form 926 for each partnership interest associated with transfers to a foreign corp.  Does this make sense? Form 114, is the individual taxpayer in the situation above considered as having a financial interest in a foreign financial account?  I previously thought not, under the reasoning that the taxpayer isn't the owner or record based on my reading, but now I'm questioning this as well. Grrr.  Why do they need so many different forms for foreign information, with such terrible consequences for nonfiling?? Thanks for any help!
Taxpayer has been claiming business use of home for multiple years.  This year, he bought and moved into a new home, using it for business, but didn't sell his old home.  If I delete the old home in ... See more...
Taxpayer has been claiming business use of home for multiple years.  This year, he bought and moved into a new home, using it for business, but didn't sell his old home.  If I delete the old home in the 8829 screen, will it also delete it for depreciation purposes?  I'm hoping not, since I'll need that info when the home is finally sold. Does anyone have experience with this issue? Many thanks!!
Is there a place in Lacerte where you can enter file notes and/or reminders that will carry forward each year?  I find that, with a few clients, there are unique situations that don't present themsel... See more...
Is there a place in Lacerte where you can enter file notes and/or reminders that will carry forward each year?  I find that, with a few clients, there are unique situations that don't present themselves in the return itself (or in the general information pages), and it would be nice to access them through Lacerte. I'm probably out to lunch on this one, but thought I would throw it out there and see if maybe I'm missing something. Happy taxes-only 20 days left until it's over!!
Thanks everyone for your comments and information.  As you said, be patient.  Lacerte is now accepting amended returns!
Thank you everyone, for your responses.  I will try to exercise some patience (sigh), and give it a few days to see if more information becomes available. In the meantime, everyone stay safe and hea... See more...
Thank you everyone, for your responses.  I will try to exercise some patience (sigh), and give it a few days to see if more information becomes available. In the meantime, everyone stay safe and healthy.
It's my understanding that today is the day we can efile 1040X through Lacerte.  I had an amended return that I was sitting on, waiting for today.  I went into the client, and marked the return for e... See more...
It's my understanding that today is the day we can efile 1040X through Lacerte.  I had an amended return that I was sitting on, waiting for today.  I went into the client, and marked the return for e-filing (screen 1).  Then, I tried to efile it, using the "e-file Amended Return Wizard".  The program responded that the "Client is not setup for any amended returns that can be e-filed".   Is there something else I need to toggle here? Thanks!
My client invests in stocks, and as a result of COVID-19, suffered losses due to the decline in market.  Since the President declared COVID-19 a federal disaster, I believe it's possible to make an e... See more...
My client invests in stocks, and as a result of COVID-19, suffered losses due to the decline in market.  Since the President declared COVID-19 a federal disaster, I believe it's possible to make an election to take the stocks sold at a loss in 2020 as a result of COVID-19, and apply them to 2019.  I see where the actual election is made, but do I have to do anything in the disposition screen to identify these stock sales as being attributable to Sec 165(i)?   Thanks!  
Yes, we prepare the S-Corp return and the individual return. We are marking the export shareholder K-1 data, and it transfers most items, but the distributions in Excess of Basis don't carry over to... See more...
Yes, we prepare the S-Corp return and the individual return. We are marking the export shareholder K-1 data, and it transfers most items, but the distributions in Excess of Basis don't carry over to the Dispositions screen as a long-term capital gain.  Also, the basis isn't being adjusted for the gain recognized.  Is there something else we need to toggle to make it carry over to the individual return? Thanks,
I have a client who took distributions in excess of basis, which needs to be recognized as a long-term capital gain on his individual return.  Also, I need to add this gain to his basis.  I thought t... See more...
I have a client who took distributions in excess of basis, which needs to be recognized as a long-term capital gain on his individual return.  Also, I need to add this gain to his basis.  I thought that Lacerte could do this automatically.  I read in the Pro-Connect section that these steps aren't necessary if the K-1 transfer utility has already bridged the information into Screen 17.   Can someone tell me where to find the K-1 transfer utility?  I've been doing it manually for way too long! Thanks,
He lived in NM most of 2019, from 01/01/19 to 10/24/19. Then he moved to VA on 10/25/19, and still lives in VA.
From what I read in the NM instructions, he is considered a resident because he was in NM for more than 185 days, so he has to file the regular NM return.  As far as VA is concerned, he is a part-yea... See more...
From what I read in the NM instructions, he is considered a resident because he was in NM for more than 185 days, so he has to file the regular NM return.  As far as VA is concerned, he is a part-year resident.  The VA return is computing properly, but I'm guessing that I have to manually calculate the OSTC for New Mexico.
Never had to do a New Mexico return, mostly Virginia returns, so could use some help! The taxpayer lived in NM for 270 days, so he is considered a NM resident per the instructions, but his W-2 refle... See more...
Never had to do a New Mexico return, mostly Virginia returns, so could use some help! The taxpayer lived in NM for 270 days, so he is considered a NM resident per the instructions, but his W-2 reflects NM wages and VA wages.  I can't seem to get the program to pull out the VA wages, or get the program to reflect an out-of-state-tax  credit, which I believe is the way NM handles things. Can someone familiar with NM tax filings help me? Thanks!