taxiowa's Posts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

taxiowa's Posts

Yes this just proves we do have idiots (mostly Republicans) in the statehouse.  Do ya think they are doing farmers who had to file by March 1st a favor, by passing a law helping them on April 23rd.  ... See more...
Yes this just proves we do have idiots (mostly Republicans) in the statehouse.  Do ya think they are doing farmers who had to file by March 1st a favor, by passing a law helping them on April 23rd.  Because thy will be charged handsomely for their $150 to $600 amended return refund.  No farmers, (who are the only ones to qualify), have not filed by now.
While it is true nothing gets sent with return, it always good to show your work.  This involves contacting parents and student to see how much tuition and room & board was incurred.  Then finding ou... See more...
While it is true nothing gets sent with return, it always good to show your work.  This involves contacting parents and student to see how much tuition and room & board was incurred.  Then finding out how much parents used for tuition credit and how much either already offset against savings bonds or their own 1099-Q.  You get to use whats left to offset your earnings. Entry on top line of Q worksheet is beneficiary is someone else.  Below the distributions from death there is tab for other student worksheet.  Fill this out with amount used by others on line 17.
Unless he was married to the mother at some point, child is not step-daughter which as Bob states means she is qualifying relative as long as living with taxpayer 12 months.  But he can then claim he... See more...
Unless he was married to the mother at some point, child is not step-daughter which as Bob states means she is qualifying relative as long as living with taxpayer 12 months.  But he can then claim her as dependent.
That is correct Taxes---Taxes---Taxes. One more taxes gets you nothing (sorry) except one more taxes. Any passive income even if from S-Corp or other will release any other carryforward passive losse... See more...
That is correct Taxes---Taxes---Taxes. One more taxes gets you nothing (sorry) except one more taxes. Any passive income even if from S-Corp or other will release any other carryforward passive losses.  Capital Gains are not necessarily passive but they are when they arise from sale of passive property.  So yes, that extra gain is used to offset other properties passive losses.
Entire disposition of a passive property creates passive gain on disposal.  Therefore 2 things happen. 1. That properties entire passive losses are released (14K) and 2.  Any remaining passive ga... See more...
Entire disposition of a passive property creates passive gain on disposal.  Therefore 2 things happen. 1. That properties entire passive losses are released (14K) and 2.  Any remaining passive gains are used to release taxpayers other properties passive loss carry forward (16K).
The deadline for amending 2020 returns for a refund is 4/15/24.  I assume you owe money on amendment with the income from the ERC.  So you can amend 2020 whenever.  The deadline for amending returns ... See more...
The deadline for amending 2020 returns for a refund is 4/15/24.  I assume you owe money on amendment with the income from the ERC.  So you can amend 2020 whenever.  The deadline for amending returns owing money I believe is right around the next USA eclipse...
Thanks Lisa, but my point is why not tell us how to resolve in case it happens to us.  Rather than we have resolved your issue.
Hey @Intuit_Ramky   Staff keeps telling us to mark as solved so people look for answers.  It would be nice if you told us what the solution is in this particular instance among others.  Then the gene... See more...
Hey @Intuit_Ramky   Staff keeps telling us to mark as solved so people look for answers.  It would be nice if you told us what the solution is in this particular instance among others.  Then the general squad would know if this problem occurred to them.
None.  You would have to fill out that 8867 or whatever number it is saying that you filed and verified that taxpayer qualified for certain benefits.  But no license or standing is needed to file for... See more...
None.  You would have to fill out that 8867 or whatever number it is saying that you filed and verified that taxpayer qualified for certain benefits.  But no license or standing is needed to file for another.
It really doesn't matter if she had other qualified expenses or not if she is willing to report that she used the scholarship money for something other than tuition.  She could use it for parties and... See more...
It really doesn't matter if she had other qualified expenses or not if she is willing to report that she used the scholarship money for something other than tuition.  She could use it for parties and spa treatments.  The question is whether as Bill stated was it a Pell grant or like scholarship which can be used for something other than tuition.  That info does not have to be reported on the 1098-T.  but if you get student to go into her portal a print out a 2023 transcript showing activity on her account it will show the types of scholarships.  The a number can be entered where Bill pointed out.
It is common that taxpayers pay a penalty on early withdrawal?  That is what I was speaking of.  I did not try one with January estimated tax to see if that is correct.  but I keep correcting them as... See more...
It is common that taxpayers pay a penalty on early withdrawal?  That is what I was speaking of.  I did not try one with January estimated tax to see if that is correct.  but I keep correcting them as you because that is the 1 good thing about Intuit.  They allow overrides in almost all cases.
Of course that is an extreme unusual example.  I did not check in that particular instance.  Does it show refund of $279 refund and also $101 tax paid on line 18?  That is a good example of why the w... See more...
Of course that is an extreme unusual example.  I did not check in that particular instance.  Does it show refund of $279 refund and also $101 tax paid on line 18?  That is a good example of why the worksheet is not clear.  But that again is a once or twice a year example that you would have to check every year to make sure it flowed correct.  My point is everything flows correct if they owed or got refund in the usual manner except as @The_AntiTax_Man pointed out the Jan. 2022 federal estimate.
It is indeed fixed and everything flows to line 14 and line 18 correctly.  Not so much on the federal tax worksheet which is still wrong.  Did you read when I said they fixed it in a weird way?  Nega... See more...
It is indeed fixed and everything flows to line 14 and line 18 correctly.  Not so much on the federal tax worksheet which is still wrong.  Did you read when I said they fixed it in a weird way?  Negative tax owed does not transfer, it just gets in the way of a nice looking worksheet.  And negative taxed owed on worksheet Line Q does not mean they owed last year.  You can obviously see that yourself when you look at last years return. I did alert Intuit about 12:30 on last Thursday in the lounge and posted here about the problem little later.  Should they have stopped Iowa e-filing then?  Yes of course. @IntuitGabi   They have fixed it and I hope they don't try changing now that it is fixed.  The worksheet just looks a little odd is all.  Do not have them try to re-fix it.
It is fixed.  Proseries just fixed in a weird way, but it is fixed.  So you should be able to file away.  And so far I have not noticed anything broken with the update.
What were all the scholarships.  If there was $17,000 in Pell Grants; come back we can talk.  Otherwise report the 1098T and R&B and books on kids return.  Most likely with that income will not owe m... See more...
What were all the scholarships.  If there was $17,000 in Pell Grants; come back we can talk.  Otherwise report the 1098T and R&B and books on kids return.  Most likely with that income will not owe much even adding in free money not used for qualified education.
@MC13 It is not an error.  It is only an error if it is not caught.  You questioned it and looked up and asked for suggestions.  We just have to have a process or checklist to ensure errors do not go... See more...
@MC13 It is not an error.  It is only an error if it is not caught.  You questioned it and looked up and asked for suggestions.  We just have to have a process or checklist to ensure errors do not go thru.  Happy taxing.
Yeah, there is not a way for that to happen.  They only save on income tax and there is no 72% income tax bracket.  So even if previous years were all $0, they could not save that much.  And it does ... See more...
Yeah, there is not a way for that to happen.  They only save on income tax and there is no 72% income tax bracket.  So even if previous years were all $0, they could not save that much.  And it does not change this years return so no new added EIC or CTC or reduction in PTC repayment can occur.  But as far as manually calculation Susan, I don't think anyone would even attempt that.  Had to be some kind of user error.
Proseries did something tonight about 10:10.  They started rejecting all Iowa returns.  No explanation, but said there is an update next week that will happen before we can file anymore.  I filed 38 ... See more...
Proseries did something tonight about 10:10.  They started rejecting all Iowa returns.  No explanation, but said there is an update next week that will happen before we can file anymore.  I filed 38 Thursday and 13 today at like 10:00 and they were not rejected.  I had fixed these already so I was not worried about any errors.  But the 10 I filed shortly after were rejected. So while I am happy Proseries listened to me; there will be a backlog of files to release next Thursday.  It was just luck I caught mistake before I filed any because almost every return is wrong. But that brings us to the crux of the problem.  Does Intuit check the updates to see if any errors were created before sending updates.  I have an extra computer in back room that I could lend them.  So while this error was not easily spotted, my secretary could have found it if she had an hour to try different things and compared previous results on Iowa return.  It is pretty easy to compare a return filed Wednesday with one after update and see if refund or amount owed changed.  And if so what changed.
All Iowa returns that are reporting a federal refund from 2022, which is about 75% of the returns are wrong as of the update this morning (3/21/24).  The federal refund amount from 2022 is showing up... See more...
All Iowa returns that are reporting a federal refund from 2022, which is about 75% of the returns are wrong as of the update this morning (3/21/24).  The federal refund amount from 2022 is showing up as double the amount on Line 14 of Iowa Schedule A.  This increases the Iowa taxable income by double the amount.  The real cause of this is coming from the federal tax worksheet Line Q showing a negative amount.  Iowa returns which are reporting federal owed from 2022 are not affected. You can correct it by going into the Federal Tax Worksheet and deleting the amount on line Q if it is a negative amount equal to the amount above it below line F.  You also have to delete the amount below line R.  Returns that did owe federal tax last year and do not have a number on line A are not effected.  The update also changed all past returns that have not yet been e-filed.  So check all returns that have been printed but not filed before e-filing them.  @The_AntiTax_Man 
@Royal I can file a return with $5,000 Iowa withholding that I did not make and it will get accepted.  Of course it will be found out later.  Kinda like when the instructions and line number say you ... See more...
@Royal I can file a return with $5,000 Iowa withholding that I did not make and it will get accepted.  Of course it will be found out later.  Kinda like when the instructions and line number say you must attach form 125 to return if claiming exclusion.  Just because it gets accepted doesn't make it right.  Supposedly they are anaylzing each form 125 to see if they truley gualify.