Ephesians3-14's Posts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ephesians3-14's Posts

Here's the answer to your question. I'll bet you dollars to donuts that your clients works for a company that is headquartered in Illinois. If so, that's how Illinois requires the W-2 to be reported ... See more...
Here's the answer to your question. I'll bet you dollars to donuts that your clients works for a company that is headquartered in Illinois. If so, that's how Illinois requires the W-2 to be reported - 100% Illinois wages and 100% Indiana wages. They made that legislative change several years which makes box 16 of the W-2 to look funky.  Am I right? The employer on the W-2 in question is a company HEADQUARTERED in Illinois, yes?
Thanks - yeah, the more I read through the Regs it looks like he might NOT be an SSTB since he's not a celebrity, etc.
My client is a sole owner of an S Corp. He writes articles for a variety of newspapers and is the only employee. Occasionally, when he is on vacation, he will hire a subcontractor to write the articl... See more...
My client is a sole owner of an S Corp. He writes articles for a variety of newspapers and is the only employee. Occasionally, when he is on vacation, he will hire a subcontractor to write the articles until he returns from vacation. He makes $300,000, so no QBI for him (and he's not happy). In my opinion, he's an SSTB. Of course, he's arguing that the "any trade or business whose principal asset is the reputation or skill of one or more of its employee/owners" part only applies to those who use their likeness for services/endorsements like TV appearances (actor) or their name/voice/trademark, such as a celebrity/athlete. He says his position is not a unique position that requires him to specifically perform the duties because he can hire anyone to write the articles. Is he an SSTB?  
My thought as well - should be deductible on Sched C. Thanks for the feedback.
I think he's not eligible because he doesn't have at least one non-highly compensated employee. Can he deduct on Schedule C the cost he paid to have the cash balance plan designed by a third party a... See more...
I think he's not eligible because he doesn't have at least one non-highly compensated employee. Can he deduct on Schedule C the cost he paid to have the cash balance plan designed by a third party administrator?
Thanks - I did that already. Already watched a few videos and reviewed the IRS site for discussion about the credit. Not very useful. Was wondering though if the specific set of circumstances mentio... See more...
Thanks - I did that already. Already watched a few videos and reviewed the IRS site for discussion about the credit. Not very useful. Was wondering though if the specific set of circumstances mentioned above might allow my client to claim the Form 8881 credit. Doesn't look like it, but wanted to confirm with someone smarter than me. 
I have a client who set up a cash balance plan in 2023. He operates a sole proprietorship. No other employees. Is he eligible for the small employer pension plan tax credit?
Yes, I'll actually take the $$$ out in the next couple of weeks. Interest in that account is only .35%.   What's the max I can earn in the trust in 2024 without having to worry about filing a final... See more...
Yes, I'll actually take the $$$ out in the next couple of weeks. Interest in that account is only .35%.   What's the max I can earn in the trust in 2024 without having to worry about filing a final return in 2023? Because I'd like to just file a first/final in 2023.
If I decided to file on a calendar year basis and the proceeds from the sale of the building were distributed to the bene's in early January 2024...does that distribution get thrown back into 2023 un... See more...
If I decided to file on a calendar year basis and the proceeds from the sale of the building were distributed to the bene's in early January 2024...does that distribution get thrown back into 2023 under the 65-day rule? Would love to file a first/final 1041 for 2023, so if the answer to the question above is "yes", I am not expecting much interest income on the proceeds in the trust bank account (maybe under $50) in 2024, so I can probably file a first/final 1041 for the 2023 tax year and then ignore the $50 because it would be under the 1041 exemption level in 2024, yes?
Great -thanks for the information. Regarding depreciation, when I enter the cost basis on the 4562 worksheet it does calculate deprecation for the short 3 month period. I also entered the Dec sale da... See more...
Great -thanks for the information. Regarding depreciation, when I enter the cost basis on the 4562 worksheet it does calculate deprecation for the short 3 month period. I also entered the Dec sale date (and proceeds), so the software "knows" I sold it within the same year. So, am I not allowed to claim depreciation? I know that it really wont' matter any because it's a Sect 1231 loss. Could I just apply for an FEIN for an estate (even though there really isn't an estate) and then file the 1041 using the estate FEIN and make the Section 645 election on the 1041? Would that scenario allow me to file a 1041 on a FY basis?
My client passed away in September. The only asset in her trust was a 4-flat building.  The building sold on Dec 27, 2023 for $725K, so I'm using $725K as the basis as well. Can I depreciate the pr... See more...
My client passed away in September. The only asset in her trust was a 4-flat building.  The building sold on Dec 27, 2023 for $725K, so I'm using $725K as the basis as well. Can I depreciate the property for the period Sept - Dec 2023? There are tenants in the building. Because of closing costs, there will be a loss of approx. $50K. Would this be a Sect 1250 loss (ordinary)? No estate tax return will be filed because this was her only asset when she died.  All proceeds will be distributed from the trust bank accounts in early Feb 2024. Any input would be appreciated.
I tried to download it this AM but I don't think it's available yet.
RIght - I was wondering if I needed to deduct the $10,000 to arrive at $45,000 ($55,000 - $10,000). The software does not transfer the $10,000 to the QBI worksheet on the S Corp K-1 worksheet. It wou... See more...
RIght - I was wondering if I needed to deduct the $10,000 to arrive at $45,000 ($55,000 - $10,000). The software does not transfer the $10,000 to the QBI worksheet on the S Corp K-1 worksheet. It would have to be entered manually (which is my question).  Right - this is the issue you're thinking about regarding the IRS saying it's a double deduction.
My client is a 100% owner of an S Corp. The S Corp established a health insurance plan for the shareholder. We added the $10,000 in health insurance premiums to Box 1 of his W-2. The net income from ... See more...
My client is a 100% owner of an S Corp. The S Corp established a health insurance plan for the shareholder. We added the $10,000 in health insurance premiums to Box 1 of his W-2. The net income from the S Corp BEFORE deducting the $10,000 health premiums was $65,000. After deducting the $10,000 in health premiums, the net income was $55,000 - which was reported on his personal tax return as pass through income.  When the 2022 tax return was prepared, we claimed a $10,000 deduction on line 17 of Schd 1 (Self-Employed Heath Premiums) which was manually entered on the Health Heath LTC Wksht. When I reviewed the QBI computation I noticed it started with the $55,000. Then there was also a deduction for the Section 179 expense ($1,000) that I appropriately entered on the S Corp K-1 Wksht. in the QBI Deduction area (Section D1). So now the net QBI was $54,000. Was I supposed to also MANUALLY enter the $10,000 of health insurance premiums on the S Corp K-1 Wksht (in Section "D1 - QBI Deduction Statement A Information)? I sure hope not! Not sure why that wouldn't just automatically transfer to that area of the S Corp K-1 Wksht if that was supposed to be entered.  Any help would be appreciated. 
My mother-in-law passed away this week. Her grantor trust holds title to her 4-flat (full depreciated) building. That's the only asset in the trust. The building is worth probably $500,000 right now.... See more...
My mother-in-law passed away this week. Her grantor trust holds title to her 4-flat (full depreciated) building. That's the only asset in the trust. The building is worth probably $500,000 right now. Her taxable estate is just the building - she has no other assets. Does the trust get a step up to FMV? Can the trust begin depreciating the stepped-up basis effective with the date of death?  
Tying to figure out which box to check on the MA Sched HC. If I check the MCC full yr box it wants a policy number. His dad lived in IL so he didn't receive an MA 1099-HC. Neither did his son.
I am preparing the Massachusetts individual tax return for a 25 yr old client who is covered under his parent's health insurance policy. It's not clear how to fill our the MA Schedule HC Worksheet in... See more...
I am preparing the Massachusetts individual tax return for a 25 yr old client who is covered under his parent's health insurance policy. It's not clear how to fill our the MA Schedule HC Worksheet in this situation. He was covered all year and I'm sure the plan met the MCC coverage requirements because the dad's policy is via his employer (Microsoft). I just can't figure out how to report that though on the MA Schedule HC Worksheet. Any help would be appreciated!
I have a lot of S Corp clients receiving notices from the IL Dept of Revenue because apparently when making the estimated tax payments in 2022 for the new PTE tax credit I should have also included t... See more...
I have a lot of S Corp clients receiving notices from the IL Dept of Revenue because apparently when making the estimated tax payments in 2022 for the new PTE tax credit I should have also included the IL replacement tax as well. So when making the payments if you didn't pay in BOTH the expected PTE tax AND the IL replacement tax, then you will be getting a pretty sizeable penalty. I thought we only had to pay in the expected PTE amount because you were never required to make estimated tax payments for the IL replacement tax. Did not know that! Anyone else seeing these penalties from their clients? The curious thing is that the ProSeries software is NOT assessing the correct amount of penalty.
So, because there was no refund for 2022, I don't need to prepare the Form 8379? I only prepare it in years where they have a refund?
I filed an injured spouse form for a client last year because they had a refund and the injured spouse wanted her portion of the refund instead of it being applied to her husband's IRS past IRS debts... See more...
I filed an injured spouse form for a client last year because they had a refund and the injured spouse wanted her portion of the refund instead of it being applied to her husband's IRS past IRS debts. But this year, they have a $900 balance due, so they will make their pay to the IRS using Form 1040-V. Do I need to fill out the injured spouse form for the 2022 tax year if they owe $900 to IRS?