arandersen's Posts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

arandersen's Posts

I initially said I had this problem in an S corp return, which I prepared in the Pro version, but upon double checking, I didn't have this problem in the Pro version, nor for an S corp, which always ... See more...
I initially said I had this problem in an S corp return, which I prepared in the Pro version, but upon double checking, I didn't have this problem in the Pro version, nor for an S corp, which always has to be prepared using the Pro Version. The problem does seem to be limited to the Basic version on the Form 1040. As a test, I took my Basic version 1040, which spits out this diagnostic and I imported that Basic version return data file into the Pro Version and voila, I don't get any diagnostic message in the Pro version. As I said, I get this diagnostic every year for that one client in the Basic version. I don't really know anything more to tell you, other than I have double checked everything and the Basic version has worked for years even ignoring this diagnostic. But if it really bothers you, you can always use the Pro version for this one return and do the pay per return for that one return. I don't think you made a mistake going to Basic. For most returns, Basic works just fine. And as I have mentioned, after finishing the return in Basic, you can open Pro and go to File Maintenance and "Restore" the Basic return into the Pro version. You don't have to pay just to do this. Then you can open up the Pro and Basic returns at the same time, side by side, and compare the AMT schedules on each version and see if there are any differences between the two versions. And if you see a difference, just manually type in the numbers from the Pro version into the Basic version. Or, just pay for that one return to be printed out and filed in the Pro version.
I get the "review the amt nol entry for depreciation" diagnostic every year on an S corp return that has a negative number for the Post '86 AMT Depreciation Adjustment. A negative number will appear ... See more...
I get the "review the amt nol entry for depreciation" diagnostic every year on an S corp return that has a negative number for the Post '86 AMT Depreciation Adjustment. A negative number will appear when AMT depreciation is higher, rather than lower, that regular depreciation. I believe this happens in the later years of an asset when regular depreciation has been all used up but there is still AMT depreciation. If you have enough of those assets, it can result in a net negative Post '86 AMT Depreciation Adjustment.  Anyway, having a negative Post '86 AMT Depreciation Adjustment is a good thing. It has eliminated a client's AMT. But back to the diagnostic. I believe it is caused by having zero for your "amt nol entry for depreciation" while also have a negative Post '86 Depreciation Adjustment. Because zero is greater than a negative number. And it's just a diagnostic, not an error. Which means it might be a problem or it might not. When it happens, I carefully review the AMT schedule and worksheets. They always check out so I ignore this diagnostic as it has never popped up except on the one return that has a negative Post '86 AMT Depreciation Adjustment. And so far, no problems. Maybe I am way off base, but these are my thoughts.  PS: I you want to calculate NOL and NOL carryover, you need to put the return in Pro, not Basic. Pro is available on a pay per return basis, so you can use Pro for the difficult returns.
I agree.  I found the below-referenced article on Bloomberg from a Google search.  It describes how Code section 280C supports the position that if the credit is for the 2020 year, even cash basis ta... See more...
I agree.  I found the below-referenced article on Bloomberg from a Google search.  It describes how Code section 280C supports the position that if the credit is for the 2020 year, even cash basis taxpayers must reduce the wages in 2020: https://news.bloombergtax.com/daily-tax-report/when-is-the-amount-of-the-employee-retention-credit-subject-to-tax Quote from the above article: "Further, section 280C provides in relevant part that no deduction is allowed for wages “paid or incurred for the taxable year” in which the credit is “determined for the taxable year.” This suggests that expense disallowance occurs in 2020, and is consistent with the IRS position regarding section 280C more generally. See, e.g., Treas. Reg. Section 1.280C-1 (expense reduction occurs in the year the credit is “earned”). Thus, regardless of whether a cash-basis taxpayer claims the 2020 ERC in 2020 or 2021, expense disallowance likely occurs in 2020."
My question is does the payroll credit reduce BOTH wage expense, Form 1120S Lines 7 & 8, as well as payroll tax expense included in Line 12 (Taxes and Licenses).  The instructions you cite re Lines 7... See more...
My question is does the payroll credit reduce BOTH wage expense, Form 1120S Lines 7 & 8, as well as payroll tax expense included in Line 12 (Taxes and Licenses).  The instructions you cite re Lines 7 & 8 seem pretty clear that wage expense must be reduced by the payroll tax credit, but nothing is mentioned about whether the otherwise deductible payroll tax expenses included in Line 12 must also be reduced.  If both are reduced, this is double counting. For example, say that wages are $10 million and payroll taxes are about $1 million and health insurance expenses are another $1 million so the company claims a $2 million ERTC (because the ERTC is also based on both payroll wages plus health insurance expenses I believe). The company must debit an asset for the $2 million payroll tax refund/credit, so say it debits $2 million to cash or refunds receivable.  Obviously it would credit payroll tax expense and/or health insurance expense by the same $2 million, which creates $2 million of taxable income in that expenses are reduced by $2 million.  So that should be the end of it.  The $2 million in reduced expenses is effectively taxed. But if, in addition, the $10 million in Line 7 & 8 wages must also be reduced by the $2 million, then we have a $4 million reduction in expenses for a $2 million credit. What am I missing?  All I can think of is that the $2 million credit, like the PPP loan forgiveness, is treated as tax exempt income as to the payroll tax & health insurance items.  In other words, when you get the $2 million credit, you do debit cash or refunds receivable but you do NOT credit an expense account.  Instead, you credit tax exempt income.  Then you go over to wages on Line 7 & 8 and do reduce the wages by the $2 million, according to the Form 1120S instructions.  The end result is that the $2 million ERTC does effectively increase taxable income by the $2 million (in the form of the wage expense reduction), but not by $4 million because we do not also have to reduce payroll tax or health insurance expense by the same $2 million?? UPDATE:  I believe my above analysis is correct.  Line 7 and 8 wages are indeed reduced, but no part of the ERTC will reduce payroll tax expense.  See the article, partial quote below (emphasis in bold added by me): Is the ERC Taxable? Yes and no. The ERC is not includible in gross income, but it is subject to expense disallowance rules, which effectively make it taxable. See Notice 2020-21, Q&As 60-61; IRS FAQs 85 & 86 . For example, if an employer received $200,000 in ERCs, then it would be required to reduce its deductible wage expenses, including qualified health plan expenses, by $200,000, thus subjecting it to tax on an extra $200,000 of income (or causing less of a loss if it was in a net loss position). The expense reduction rules apply to the wages, including qualified health plan expenses, paid or incurred in 2020 and that were reimbursed by the ERC. There is no reduction in the employer’s deduction for its share of Social Security and Medicare taxes by any portion of the ERC.
The title of Form 5884-A is actually "Employee Retention Credit for Employers Affected by Qualified Disasters".  The instructions then list all the "qualified disasters" that are eligible.  Covid is ... See more...
The title of Form 5884-A is actually "Employee Retention Credit for Employers Affected by Qualified Disasters".  The instructions then list all the "qualified disasters" that are eligible.  Covid is not listed as a qualified disaster.  It IS confusing, but I am pretty sure that you do not use this form 5884-A for the Covid-related PAYROLL TAX credit because it is not an INCOME TAX credit.
It is confusing, but Form 5884 is NOT used for the Covid-related PAYROLL tax ERTC credit.  The 5884 instructions say:  "Qualified wages do not include the following wages:  Any wages used to figure a... See more...
It is confusing, but Form 5884 is NOT used for the Covid-related PAYROLL tax ERTC credit.  The 5884 instructions say:  "Qualified wages do not include the following wages:  Any wages used to figure a coronavirus-related employee retention credit on an employment tax return, such as Form 941, Employer's QUARTERLY Federal Tax Return." 5884 is used for other disaster-related credits and is an income tax credit.  The Covid ERTC is a payroll tax, not an income tax, credit.  So booking the payroll tax credit as a receivable makes sense.  And I believe, but am not sure, that the amount of that payroll tax credit must reduce deductible wages on the Form 1120S.  But in any event, it is not an income tax credit and will not appear as a credit on any K-1.  Instead, as you say, you will have a receivable for the future receipt of your payroll tax refund arising from claiming the credit on an amended payroll tax return for the fourth quarter of 2020.
Trusts cannot have fiscal years, but there is a twist.  Estates CAN have fiscal years and if a client has a living trust and then dies, that trust can elect to be included in the estate's income tax ... See more...
Trusts cannot have fiscal years, but there is a twist.  Estates CAN have fiscal years and if a client has a living trust and then dies, that trust can elect to be included in the estate's income tax return, so in that case, the trust, as part of the estate, can have a fiscal year, but only because it is part of an estate.
I solved my own question so I'm replying to my own post.  The solution to Form 8990 not filling in is that I CHECKED THE WRONG BOX in answering the question on Line 10 of Schedule B to the Form 1120S... See more...
I solved my own question so I'm replying to my own post.  The solution to Form 8990 not filling in is that I CHECKED THE WRONG BOX in answering the question on Line 10 of Schedule B to the Form 1120S.  I should have checked YES, but I checked NO by mistake.  Answering yes to that question, namely that yes, my corp has sales in excess of $26 million, does properly make Form 8990 appear and fill in the calculated fields.  I had checked no, with the result that Form 8990 would not calculate nor print. So I'm embarrassed.  And an idiot.  Thank you.  
I'm working in a ProSeries Form 1120S.  The Form 8990 - Limitation on Business Interest Expense - calculated fields will not fill in, even after the entire tax return is done and the corporation, wit... See more...
I'm working in a ProSeries Form 1120S.  The Form 8990 - Limitation on Business Interest Expense - calculated fields will not fill in, even after the entire tax return is done and the corporation, with assets greater than $26 million, is required to file this form.  In 2018, the fields filled in just fine. I did my own calculations and filled in the required fields using the override function, so now I have nine overridden fields in this Form 8990. Why wont these fields calculate just like that did in 2018? Is this a program bug? PS - In 2018, the Form 8990 had to be attached as a pdf, but I see that in 2019, at least the Form 8990 seems to be included in the return, and not required to be attached as a pdf, but why won't the 2019 fields calculate.
Thank you!  That will probably work as I really do not need to open up last year's FAM.  Like you say, all I really need is to download current year FAM and when it asks me to transfer last year's da... See more...
Thank you!  That will probably work as I really do not need to open up last year's FAM.  Like you say, all I really need is to download current year FAM and when it asks me to transfer last year's data to this year, I can put a copy of last year's client data folder on a flash drive and point to the flash drive location as the data source for the transfer of last year's ending data to the current year's beginning data. However, I sure wish there was more documentation on doing a complete installation of last year's entire FAM program on a new computer in the event the old computer breaks down because sometimes I want to open up last year's FAM program on a working computer so I can see what I did last year.  Fortunately I printed out an old article on this from 2012 that no longer exists in the support system but I have file notes indicating that back in 2012 when I did that, FAM would not activate on the new computer without calling customer support and going through a hassle.  
I want to move my 2018 Fixed Asset Manager Program and files to a new computer so that after I install 2019 FAM on the new computer, I can transfer the 2018 client files into the 2019 program.  So fo... See more...
I want to move my 2018 Fixed Asset Manager Program and files to a new computer so that after I install 2019 FAM on the new computer, I can transfer the 2018 client files into the 2019 program.  So for the prior year (2018) FAM, do I just run the 2018 installation program on the new computer and then copy the entire FamWin18 folder over to the new computer?  When I did this back in 2012 and then tried to open up the prior year program on the new computer, I got a message that the program needs to be reactivated.  I can't remember how I solved that and now I can no longer find any articles about transferring FAM to a new computer.