mickey's Posts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mickey's Posts

A client has $5000 Disabled Access credit coming in to her personal tax returns via S Corp K-1 (line 13 item K). She also purchased a Tesla that qualifies for the $7500 credit. Prior to generating ... See more...
A client has $5000 Disabled Access credit coming in to her personal tax returns via S Corp K-1 (line 13 item K). She also purchased a Tesla that qualifies for the $7500 credit. Prior to generating the form for the Tesla credit, Proseries allowed the client to take the $5000 ADA credit.  However, after I filled out form 8936 to take the credit for the EV, the program removed the $5000 ADA credit. I don't believe she can take both.  Furthermore, I think she can carry forward the $5K ADA credit. I would like to cite a source or writing somewhere that says you can't take both credits and the ADA can be carried forward.  From what I've seen at the Intuit website you may carryforward the ADA using form 8826 for next year, i.e. 2024.   Does anyone have any source or know of this? Thank you
Hello My client spent money (categorized as fixed assets) in her business to be ADA compliant.  I filed form 8826 to ask for the credit.  I reduced the fixed assets to reflect the $5000 credit taken... See more...
Hello My client spent money (categorized as fixed assets) in her business to be ADA compliant.  I filed form 8826 to ask for the credit.  I reduced the fixed assets to reflect the $5000 credit taken so instead of depreciating $20000, for example, we are depreciating $15000 on the tax returns.   My question is how to adjust the books to reflect a lower value of fixed assets?  Currently assets per books is $20000, as that's what she paid for the ADA equipment.   How should the $5K be recorded on the books?   Thank you  
The only reason why I thought it's a reimbursed amount is because there's a box on form 1099-LTC with an x next to the Reimbursed Amount. Just saying in case anybody else comes across this.   Than... See more...
The only reason why I thought it's a reimbursed amount is because there's a box on form 1099-LTC with an x next to the Reimbursed Amount. Just saying in case anybody else comes across this.   Thank you!
I have a similar question.  From some of the research on the web, it appears that the taxpayer wouldn't have to pay tax on this.  It says if the policy only pays benefits that reimburse you for quali... See more...
I have a similar question.  From some of the research on the web, it appears that the taxpayer wouldn't have to pay tax on this.  It says if the policy only pays benefits that reimburse you for qualified long term care expenses you will not owe federal income tax on these benefits. What's everyone's opinion?
He wants to take bonus depreciation asap as he'll have quite a bit of income this year.  The equipment is for his new surgery center.  I'll need to find out when he projects to have the equipment in ... See more...
He wants to take bonus depreciation asap as he'll have quite a bit of income this year.  The equipment is for his new surgery center.  I'll need to find out when he projects to have the equipment in the state of readiness.  If he can use it in the existing center first it could work.
Hello A client is purchasing medical equipment for his medical center.  The equipment will most likely be delivered in Nov or Dec of  2023.   When the equipment arrives at his office, would that qu... See more...
Hello A client is purchasing medical equipment for his medical center.  The equipment will most likely be delivered in Nov or Dec of  2023.   When the equipment arrives at his office, would that qualify him for bonus depreciation? My client met condition #1, #2 and #4.  What I'm not clear about is the mention of "placed in service by the taxpayer within a specified time period".  Does anyone know what the exact rule is? A1: The depreciable property must meet four requirements to be qualified property. These requirements are (1) the depreciable property must be of a specified type; (2) the original use of the property must commence with the taxpayer or used depreciable property must meet the requirements of section 168(k)(2)(E)(ii); (3) the depreciable property must be placed in service by the taxpayer within a specified time period or must be planted or grafted by the taxpayer before a specified date; and (4) the depreciable property must be acquired by the taxpayer after September 27, 2017.  For additional information about these requirements see Proposed Treas. Reg. § 1.168(k)-2(b)) and the About Form 4562 webpage.
I did start my own question.  Not sure how the old topic got mixed in here.
The issue is not whether bonus depreciation can be taken.  If the S Corp shows a loss due to the bonus depreciation, can the shareholder take this loss against his returns?  I thought the rule is you... See more...
The issue is not whether bonus depreciation can be taken.  If the S Corp shows a loss due to the bonus depreciation, can the shareholder take this loss against his returns?  I thought the rule is you have to have basis.   One individual owns 2 companies.  One company  (B) only  exists to rent the equipment to his other company (A) .  It has no other function.  Apparently his lawyer advised him to create a separate company for the purpose of managing the financing of the equipment and leasing it out to his other company A (which is a medical services company, offering orthopaedic services). Can he net the loss from company B (generated from bonus depre) against income from his medical services company (A)?
A client is constructing a medical office.  How to report the work in progress on his corporate returns?   Do I just leave the charges as un depreciable asset for now?
I think you are right.   I wish I can show my clients an excerpt or something.  Tried to find the exception to the bonus rules but not having any luck. Thank you
It seems like the CARES Act allows bonus depreciation for non-residential rental property. I've been searching to see if bonus depreciation is also allowed for leasehold improvement in a residential... See more...
It seems like the CARES Act allows bonus depreciation for non-residential rental property. I've been searching to see if bonus depreciation is also allowed for leasehold improvement in a residential rental property?   A client made some improvement to a rental house and they want bonus depreciation. I only see the allowance for non residential properties, i.e. they changed LSI to 15-year property. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you very much.
They do not qualify as real estate professionals as I found out they are limited partners based on the 5 K-1s they received. They are general partners in partnership XYZ that received in those 5 K-1... See more...
They do not qualify as real estate professionals as I found out they are limited partners based on the 5 K-1s they received. They are general partners in partnership XYZ that received in those 5 K-1s. I think they don't quality to write off just any loss and believe they are limited to $25000 per year. I wonder if that loss is affected by their income (W2 income combined $500K)....  
Where to find the basis statement for each partner on the form 1065 returns?
I have a new client who is a partnership.  Let's call this one XYZ LLC with 2 partners (who is a husband/wife duo). XYZ received 5 K-1s from other partnership.  All K-1s had rental losses.   1.  Qu... See more...
I have a new client who is a partnership.  Let's call this one XYZ LLC with 2 partners (who is a husband/wife duo). XYZ received 5 K-1s from other partnership.  All K-1s had rental losses.   1.  Questions - if my2 clients materially participated in these real estate ventures with XYZ LLC, I understand they can offset all of the losses from XYZ against their other ordinary income.  Is this correct?  They have to meet the 750 hours qualification, correct? 2.  If the 2 partners actively participated in ZYZ LLC, where do you mark on the XYZ partnership return to indicate that they actively participated?  Or will the personal returns of the husband/wife assign the $25000 passive loss limitation somehow? They do have basis for all properties.   Thanks!!  
I have a new client who runs an S Corp.  Year 2021 is my first year with him. He asked me to work up a scenario to see how much he should contribute to his SEP IRA for himself and his employee.  I l... See more...
I have a new client who runs an S Corp.  Year 2021 is my first year with him. He asked me to work up a scenario to see how much he should contribute to his SEP IRA for himself and his employee.  I looked at the books and saw that in Sept of 2021, he made a contribution to the retirement account as this is when he usually contributes, before the corporate taxes are filed by 9/15. So, I believe the amount I'm seeing on his Quickbooks is for the 2020 contribution.  It doesn't quite match up with what the previous accountant reported.   It's off a little.   1.  My first question is, how to report the SEP contribution made in 2021 (as recorded in Quickbooks) for the 2020 tax year, on the current 2021 tax returns?  Do I add it in as an adjustment somewhere and then calculate the 2021 contributions (see question #2)? 2.  Second question, he asked how much he should contribute for 2021, i.e. he wants me to compute a couple of scenarios to see how his K-1 net income can be affected by different contribution amts.  Does anyone know of an easy way to do this?  And what documents do I need to have in front of me to do this?    Thank you!!
Are you all referring to entering the K-1 partnership onto a personal returns?  Or is about the preparation of form 1065 with the PTE?  
I have the same question too.  Form 3804 is not available.  Instead I see 3804-CR.  Is this the same thing? On form 3804CR, column c (PTE elective tax credit(s) - is this the same as CA AB150 Progra... See more...
I have the same question too.  Form 3804 is not available.  Instead I see 3804-CR.  Is this the same thing? On form 3804CR, column c (PTE elective tax credit(s) - is this the same as CA AB150 Program (paid in 2021) that appears on the K-1? And where do you find the 592 PTE worksheet in Proseries Professional?  I'm working on the individual returns; My client received a K-1 Partnership from his employer.  I'm not working on the partnership tax returns - just want to clarify. I think this question/answer relates to preparation of the Partnership returns...?
Proseries won't let you put $5K each in for the husband and wife.  I called tech support.  They told it can't be done, i.e. split the $10K refund between spouses to buy i bonds. Just wondering if th... See more...
Proseries won't let you put $5K each in for the husband and wife.  I called tech support.  They told it can't be done, i.e. split the $10K refund between spouses to buy i bonds. Just wondering if there's a workaround.
She's not looking for any refunds, only to reduce any balance due. Now, the challenge is to find the software going back that far. 🙂 I've been a Proseries for many years.  Hopefully, it's availabl... See more...
She's not looking for any refunds, only to reduce any balance due. Now, the challenge is to find the software going back that far. 🙂 I've been a Proseries for many years.  Hopefully, it's available somewhere for me to download.   Thank you very much for your guidance.
Someone did not file a schedule C for the 2014 and 2015 tax years although she incurred expenses. As a result the IRS levied taxes based on the 1099s reported to her. Questions: 1.  Is it too late... See more...
Someone did not file a schedule C for the 2014 and 2015 tax years although she incurred expenses. As a result the IRS levied taxes based on the 1099s reported to her. Questions: 1.  Is it too late to amend these years' returns and add in the expenses? 2.  If, for some reason, she entered into an installment agreement with the IRS (she can't remember for sure), will she be able to file the amended returns? I've looked around.  It seems like they are saying 3 years is about the limit.  Asking if anyone has any tips and if you've tried amending a really old return, similar to this? Thank you!