tax1320_
Level 2

When will we be able to process a Simple tax return for clients who are not required to file a tax return because they only received Social Security benefits but are eligible for the stimulus payment.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Were all hoping that IRS makes a website available for people that have no filing requirement to file for the stimulus money...otherwise IRS will be bombarded with paper returns since you cant Efile a return with no income (SS only) on it.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
tax1320_
Level 2

Thank you for that information, I have been getting calls from my clients parents about filing their tax return for the stimulus payment. 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If they have other income besides the SS you can Efile a return, same as any other return.....its the ones that only have SS that will have a hard time being filed electronically unless you add $1 of interest or other income to make the return able to be Efiled.

tax1320_
Level 2

I didn't think about finding out if the have any interest income to report. Thanks again

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Staff in the IRS "newsroom" don't know stimulus from Shinola.  It is not necessary to file a return.  It might be possible to upload a bank account number, but if the seniors are on Social Security, Big Brother already has that.  Wait a few days until they get the story straight.  Checks for $250 went out to Social Security beneficiaries  in 2009 without filing a return, and they will do it again this year.   Meanwhile, I hope your clients are not claiming the parents as dependents.  

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

There was a $600 stimulus that we had to file a return for, I remember filing returns for SS recipients.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

As I posted earlier, that was 2008.  In 2009, no returns had to be filed.  Working people got a tax break through tax cuts and changes to the withholding tables.  

BobKamman
Level 15

From the Washington Post online:

A request to the Treasury Department for comment about the discrepancy was not returned. Democrats are upset that the Trump administration isn’t doing more to help ensure that as many Americans as possible get these payments during this national health emergency.

Thirty-four senators sent the White House a letter Wednesday asking why the Trump administration is placing this “significant burden” on senior citizens and the disabled. Members of the House are also speaking out.

“My colleagues and I strongly urge Treasury Secretary [Steven] Mnuchin and Social Security Administrator [Andrew] Saul to find a solution that will allow vulnerable groups to receive these funds automatically, without needing to file an additional return," said Rep. Richard E. Neal (D-Mass.), chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee.

tax1320_
Level 2

No my clients are not claiming there parents as dependent. But that is an interesting note to discuss with any of my other clients who wants to know if there parents will get the Stimulus check. Thank you

0 Cheers
IntuitBettyJo
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Cheers