MikeB_CPA
Level 5

So sorry for your loss, and this aggravation you have to deal with on top of it.  The level of ineptitude is beyond comprehension, and this mess has really exposed the weak links.  Yesterday there was an article in Politico about the large number of foreign students who worked summer jobs in the U.S., and they received stimulus payments!  Much like your and my situations, they cannot find any guidance from IRS on returning the payments!  IRS issued some guidance the other day on the deductibility of expenses for companies who received PPP loans, and lo and behold it doesn't agree with what congress says is the intent of the loans!  You're likely as surprised about that as I am.

I don't know why IRS even has telephone numbers.  They are useless.  I had a client who had a need to call about a refund that was not answerable online.  After listening to an IRS message in English and Spanish, with no option to opt out of the non-native language, or to drill down to another menu, the call was disconnected-three times!

I suspect we will be dealing with this nonsense for years, and there will be a lot of conflicting "guidance."  It will be like the past two years when in December major tax legislation was passed, in some cases retroactive to prior years, and we will need to wait for IRS and Intuit to update software to allow us to file returns.  Still waiting for Intuit to update the 2018 ProSeries software so I can amend 2018 returns.

Good luck and thank you.  Please keep me advised if you hear anything official on this.