RGreco
Level 1

I also filed my dad's final tax return in January 2020 because he died in 2019.  It had "deceased" all over the return, but he still received a stimulus payment into his bank account in March.  I have been waiting for guidance from the IRS, and this week I received a letter from The White House addressed to my dad followed by the word "Deceased" and c/o me.  It was just verifying that he received his stimulus payment via direct deposit, and what a great country we live in, signed by our president.  It also gave a phone number if I had any additional questions, which I immediately called, and it turned out to be a recording stating who is eligible for the payment.  It did not list the dead, but was otherwise not helpful either.  My worry about keeping the money is dealing with an agency that knows a person is deceased and still sends them money, what will they do next?  What kind of penalties will they assess?  I have closed his estate, there is no money left except this stimulus payment and  any insignificant interest it may accrue.  I'm afraid if I file another tax return for him next year to declare the stimulus money, they may think he rose from the dead and I will have to deal with that tax consequence!  

0 Cheers