Just Me2
Level 2

On review of irs.gov pertaining to the covid stimulus, I note the following:

"IR-2020-61, March 30, 2020

WASHINGTON — The Treasury Department and the Internal Revenue Service today announced that distribution of economic impact payments will begin in the next three weeks and will be distributed automatically, with no action required for most people. However, some seniors and others who typically do not file returns will need to submit a simple tax return to receive the stimulus payment."

My problem is, I have been unable to e-file for clients who receive only ss benefits.  How can I e-file returns to insure my senior clients (I have not prepared taxes for in over 2 years)  will receive the stimulus as indicated above?

Thank you,

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

You could put in $1 interest income to make the e-file work, but it still won't give the banking information. Hang in there. IRS has promised a quicky e-file online for those that don't have to file and it will gather banking info. https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
BobKamman
Level 15

There is only one responsible answer to this question.

The law was written in expectation that IRS could use the SSA-1099 data to issue payments to Social Security recipients who have not filed 2018 or 2019 returns.

There are millions of seniors who are confined, more or less, to retirement communities and care facilities. They shouldn’t be going out seeking help with a form they have to sign, and people shouldn’t be coming to them to collect a signature and a fee.

Requiring “simple tax returns” will literally sicken many and kill more than a few.

Someone in IRS Public Affairs wrote a press release that suggests returns have to be filed. They might have been using a 2008 press release as a draft.

Until someone responsible at IRS, or Treasury, or the White House tells Congress, and us, that returns are needed – just back off.

IRonMaN
Level 15

"Until someone responsible at IRS, or Treasury, or the White House tells Congress, and us, that returns are needed"

But do any responsible people exist at any of those places?😕

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

@IRonMaN   "But do any responsible people exist at any of those places?"

They may not be responsible, but they are politicians.  Why would they want to kill off their base?

George4Tacks
Level 15

Just launched today https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/non-filers-enter-payment-info-here I fully expect it to break by tomorrow.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post