GermanB
Level 3

I need help with determining my tax preparation fees and my per form charges? Any guidance will be greatly appreciated. 

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Just google "tax Prep Fees 2020" You will get a lot of good info to help set your fees

PATAX
Level 15

Do not under cut yourself with a low fee... Some clients equate the quality of work with the fee... Also take a look at what others in other professions are receiving... Hairdressers get $100 or so each time the bald woman goes there every two weeks? Hope this helps...

singh
Level 7

If you try to charge low fee now, just to get more customers, you will have hard time raising fee in the following years. My suggestion would be to check around what other preparers are charging in your area.

BobKamman
Level 15

Sesame Street is having trouble determining per-alphabet-letter charges since Big Bird pointed out that Q now carries a lot more baggage and should cost more.  Oscar the Grouch, who does tax returns on the side, thinks that charging per letter is nonsense.  They're just like tax forms, you can put a lot of work into one and then very little work on the next one of the same type.  Some of them take no time at all, the software fills it out automatically. Bert and Ernie point out, however, that preparers should at least look at the form to make sure it's correct, but the fee for that shouldn't be based on time because the less experience you have the longer your gaze.  

Count von Count argues that the fee should not be based on forms and schedules, but on 1099's and 1098's, since most practitioners think this is a tax not on income but on pieces of paper that arrive in the mail.  He charges based on the size of the shoebox the client brings in, and whether they open the envelopes along the short or long edge.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

I'm still waiting for the Cookie Monster's view before I decide on billing amounts.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

I don't think the Cookie Monster is going to express his View... Not long ago he accidentally ate a box of concrete cookies... he doesn't like to talk now since he is completely toothless...

BobKamman
Level 15

Cookie Monster just wants a cookie with a four-inch radius to cost only twice as much as a cookie with a two-inch radius because after all it's just simple math.  It's just like charging half as much for single returns as for MFJ.

sjrcpa
Level 15

What will Ji-Young say?

Ex-AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

Let's just try to avoid those math-genius stereotypes

sjrcpa
Level 15

I said nothing.😶

Ex-AllStar