mountaintax
Level 2

I have read every question asked so far regarding MFS in a Community property state but still can't seem to find the answer. Everyone says fill out form 5958 (which I have done) to properly allocate the income but this does not flow to the 1040. No one addresses how & where to properly report the other spouses income. MFS, In CA. Husband is the only one that works. I have filled out Form 5958 and split all income 50/50. I entered the complete W2 into the husbands return and I adjusted box 1,2, state tax and SDI (left other entries alone). If I enter the husbands W2 on the wife's return with half of the income I get a critical error because the W2 is for him. It does not make sense to put the spouse's W2 on the taxpayers return but that is what ITO chat advised. How else/where else can I input half of the husband W2 income and half of his taxes paid onto the wife's return?? Also, what do I need to do with the CA return? Lastly, on his return do I split all the other entries on the W2 or just box 1 & 2, state income tax & SDI? Thank you for your help!

0 Cheers