wyzeadvisor
Level 1

Good morning all,

Here's the case: My clients are MFJ and have a parent/child LLCs structure for real estate purposes. They are equal members in their holding company LLC (treated as a partnership, by default) that owns 100% of the membership interest in the subsidiary LLC, which holds title of the underlying asset. All of this happened in 2021.

Recently, they transfer 5% ownership interest from their 100% to another member. For tax purposes, the subsidiary LLC won't be treated as a single-member LLC and the income won't just be reported on the 1065 of their holding company LLC. I need to file a form 8832.

My questions to you are:

1) Should I wait to file a 1065 for both LLCs in March 2022 alongside a form 8832 asking for late relief on the new classification of the subsidiary LLC as: "The entity has not filed a federal tax or information return for the first year in which the election was intended because the due date has not passed for that year's federal tax or information return"?

2) Should I just file the form 8832 right now and so everything will be set in March 2021 for filing the 2 1065s?

Thank you for your clarifications!

Best

0 Cheers