qbteachmt
Level 15

I'd like to respond to this:

"The IRS will use the data from the Form 1099-K to develop:

• Taxpayer education and outreach products and services.
  • New examination and collection approaches."

Nothing about Matching.

Specifically, the 1099-K came about with a bill in 2008 and had to do with Online Sellers, for the Feds to have clarity for the movement of funds. It helps detect fraud, laundering, and terrorism support. It's similar to the reporting requirement for Banks, for individual transactions:

"Federal law requires financial institutions to report currency (cash or coin) transactions over $10,000 conducted by, or on behalf of, one person, as well as multiple currency transactions that aggregate to be over $10,000 in a single day. These transactions are reported on Currency Transaction Reports (CTRs)"

As a result of the research I've done today to help you, I've learned that Venmo and Zelle are examples of non-1099-K issuers, because they do not track the payee by social security number.

I know PayPal uses it. Uber issues 1099-K for rider transactions; 1099-NEC for nonrider revenue (referrals, trip promotions); and 1099-Misc for awards and legal settlements.

These things get intertwined, but it is important to keep up with the purposes, the differences, and the changes.

Hope that helps.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers