brenda4672
Level 3

How do I report a rental property that was taken over to be used as primary residence. 

Property was acquired by an inheritance (base 230,000 ) and rented for 5 years and 5 1/2 months.  Owner lost their job and sold their primary home in a different state and moved into the rental property and made it their primary. Depreciation deduction was taken for 5 years on prior tax returns 100% business use. There was technically no sale of the rental property. Due to Covid 19 rent was only collected for 3 months of the year but was occupied by tenants for 5 1/2 months. 

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

On the Asset Entry Worksheet, go to the disposition area near the bottom.  Enter the date it was converted to personal use, and leave the sales price BLANK.  That will stop the depreciation, and effectively converts it to personal use.

View solution in original post

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Another thing, on the rental worksheet, only enter the rental days.  Do NOT enter any personal days.  That is only if a rental goes back-and-forth between rental and personal use.  Because it was 100% rental and converted to 100% personal, enter ZERO personal days.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

And keep the depreciation details printout for when it does eventually sell and you need to recapture the depreciation previously taken.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
rbynaker
Level 13

And you'll need to manually allocate the expenses between Sch E and Sch A (if applicable).

brenda4672
Level 3

Thanks! Very helpful. Sorry for such late response!

0 Cheers
brenda4672
Level 3

Thanks!

0 Cheers
brenda4672
Level 3

Thanks! Very helpful!

0 Cheers
neelthakkar
Level 1

I am using Pro Series and personally  I don't see the option to enter the date of conversion to personal use in Asset entry work sheet. Is it anyway you can show post a screen shot about it. 

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

@neelthakkar wrote:

I am using Pro Series and personally  I don't see the option to enter the date of conversion to personal use in Asset entry work sheet. Is it anyway you can show post a screen shot about it. 

Enter a sale date with no sale price.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

You enter a "sale"/disposition DATE, but leave the sale price BLANK.