jgillespie
Level 2

I may have typed Estate instead of Trust. The asset was placed into the Trust upon death. My client inherited it upon death and the interests were placed into the Trust. Once the partnerships sold their assets the funds were distributed to my client per the will. The partnership assets did not receive a step-up in basis upon death. What I am trying to do is see if there is a way to consider the currently held partnership interest as worthless now that all assets were sold and the partnership closed. The distribution my client, and other beneficieries, received was sales proceeds. The partnership sold the gas well then distributed the sales proceeds to the various partners, including the Trust. The Trust then distributed the proceeds to my client in accordance with the will. The gas wells were fully depreciated and the sale resulted in ordinary income reported on the K-1 to the Trust and subsequently to my client. Since the asset that was sold did not receive a step-up in basis, I am hoping to recover some of that via writing off the remaining "worthless" partnership interest. Like I said before, I am grasping at straws trying to find a way to reduce the tax liability on this.

0 Cheers