CL
Level 2

Hi,

My sister filed her 2018 tax return as a dependent for her time as a student within that year. She has since graduated and filed her 2019 as a single status a week after the stimulus checks were rolling out in mid April. She did receive her tax refund, but hasn't received her stimulus payment. Banking information remained the same as well. The IRS payment status keeps reflecting that her information is being reviewed or she may not be eligible for payment.  I don't see why she wouldn't be eligible with her 2019 status and I'm not sure what's the current situation with the IRS turnaround with reviewing 2019 filings.Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks,

LC

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I think you may be in the wrong place...this forum is for tax professionals using Intuit's professional tax software, it appears you may be looking for DIY support.

Please visit the TurboTax Help site for support for DIYers.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
abctax55
Level 15

Hi there,

You’ve come to an Intuit site supporting tax professionals, and you may be looking for support as an individual taxpayer. Please visit the TurboTax Help site for support.

Cheers!

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
CL
Level 2

Got it. I'm a tax preparer and I filed her filing through ProSeries so I thought to ask here.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Many people are still seeing that message for their EIP....if all else fails, she'll still be eligible for the EIP on her 2020 tax return.

View solution in original post

CL
Level 2

I was thinking the same about the credit for 2020. Thanks for confirming.

qbteachmt
Level 15

"a week after the stimulus checks were rolling out in mid April"

Check, or Direct Deposit Refund? That matters. Also, since 2019 is likely not reviewed, her 2018 status probably is being used, which is why you see: "keeps reflecting that her information is being reviewed or she may not be eligible for payment"

As you can see, here:

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/04/21/heres-precisely-when-youll-get-your-stimulus-check.aspx

She likely missed the first window due to the change in status from 2018 to 2019.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Oops... my bad then.

The IRS system is quite wonky, unfortunately.

( Generic Comment )"
CL
Level 2

Hi,

Yes, her refund was set with the direct deposit method. Thanks for sharing the article. I'd like to note that her AGI was less than 10k. You mentioned about the 1st window ...so is the IRS continuously looking into the updated filing or was there that one cut off in April with reviewing the filing history? She's in need of the stimulus now because she's furlough so I was hoping to give her a straightforward answer. 

LC

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Unfortunately, no one has the insider info on exactly 'how' the IRS is going about this.

It appears it was 2018 first, by order of lower to higher income.  THEN on to 2019, if filed.  And again, lower income to higher incomes..

I've heard of folks having to enter the spouse info (n/a in your case) instead of the taxpayer, issues if PO BOX vs PO Box, need to enter zero even if there was a refund, especially if there was an underpayment penalty, yada yada yada.

My 2 cents on your sister's situation is the change in filing situation probably blew the computer's mind & hers was punted to the back of the line.

Sorry, I know that doesn't help at all if she's strapped for cash.  Neither does the fact the money will get to her eventually with the filing of the 2020 return in 2021.

Too, too many folks that NEED the money aren't getting, yet dead folks are.   The IRS *was* tasked with an almost impossible situation, during adverse conditions...  I actually have (gasp) some sympathy for them.

( Generic Comment )"
CL
Level 2

Yes, it all seems like a grey area with this stimulus even worst with no call center. We'll continue to be optimistic about it for now. 

Thank you so much; I appreciate your insights.

Be safe!

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Its such a mess.

I got the EIP, but by what Im seeing others go through, I dont know how or why. 

I filed 2018, (no 2019 filed yet).    Used direct debit to pay a balance due in August 2019 (so no direct deposit of any refund), my MFJ income barely scraped by under the income limitation threshold (so we're not low income) but I got a direct deposit of the EIP in the first round of payments on April 15th I think it was....it makes NO sense how they are paying out!!

0 Cheers
CL
Level 2

It is! Interesting how you brought that up because I expected my payment to be received  at much more later date because of my income and I got mines on the first day. 

Thanks & be safe!

qbteachmt
Level 15

"You mentioned about the 1st window ...so is the IRS continuously looking into the updated filing or was there that one cut off in April with reviewing the filing history?"

No one here works for US Treasury nor the IRS.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.