joefts
Level 2

Client filed return incorrectly; combining values from W2 and W2 corrected. Tried to amend the return to reflect only W2c and subsequently omitted their income tax withholdings. This is my first time amending and using Proconnect to e-file it. I went to Profile and only checked Federal Amended for e-file. In Misc Forms>Amended Return>Gen Info I checked Amending federal return and entered 2019 as year to amend. Under As Originally Reported and Correct Amount, only one entry was changed, the missing withholdings. I did enter Filing status, AGI, standard deduction, taxable income, tax as well even though they hadn't changed. Even though I entered all of that info the generated preview of 1040X only contained Total tax and Federal Income tax withholdings (and the calculated Total payments and Refund below it). It also generated a 1040 with only the standard deduction and nothing else. I feel like this isn't correct, but please tell me.

Also, the original 1040X they completed on TurboTax had an amount in Line 16 for Total amount paid. They told me that they have not paid anything to the IRS as of yet. Is that line auto-calculated by TurboTax? Under the column Original Amount, it seems to be the difference of Total tax and Federal Income tax withheld (which was then omitted in the amendment). I can't seem to figure out why that value would be entered as paid. ANY thoughts that my help me out here?

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@joefts wrote:

It also generated a 1040 with only the standard deduction and nothing else. I feel like this isn't correct, but please tell me.

Also, the original 1040X they completed on TurboTax had an amount in Line 16 for Total amount paid. 

What do you mean by a 1040 with only the Standard Deduction and nothing else.  You mean NOTHING else?  No income, no tax, no tax withheld?

Yes, I think TurboTax assumes that the original amount due was paid, so you can ignore that.

It seems like you have the program set up correctly to amend, but you may want to review this article to double check that part:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/form-1040/help/amending-an-individual-return-1040x-not-creat...

0 Cheers
joefts
Level 2

Yeah, I've looked at the link before. Followed those steps. This is what I get for the amendment:

Missing fields.jpg

This is what I got for the generated 1040:

Std Deduction only.jpg

I feel like I missed an entry on the personal information or something that inhibited it from populating or something, but I haven't found anything yet

0 Cheers