Kevin425
Level 2

Thank you for the response, I always appreciate your expert advice @itonewbie!  Some of the capital gains for this return are from the sale of real property in another state.  The sale occurred during the period of CA non-residency and isn't CA taxable.  In the PTO Dispositions entry, I tried setting CA gain to -1 in the "State, if different" override and was able to generate 540NR Schedule D, but Schedule CA incorrectly shows a column B subtraction for this gain with this method.  Without setting CA gain to -1, Schedule CA is correct with no amount in column B, but 540NR Schedule D isn't generated.  In both cases, the column E taxable CA amount is correct and tax liability is correctly calculated, but I haven't found a solution to correctly generate all the CA forms.  I experimented with the "Percentage of source income" override for CA in Dispositions without success.  If I have to choose, I think I prefer to generate a correct Schedule CA without 540NR Schedule D, but FTB instructions are to complete Schedule D for part-year residents with capital gains.  This return also has capital gains from a partnership pro-rated for the number of days of CA residency, which I set in percentage of source income for CA in the PTO K-1 entry, but this doesn't generate 540NR Schedule D either, even though all CA taxable amounts in Schedule CA column E are correctly calculated.  If you have more ideas for CA sourcing and how to solve this, please let me know!

0 Cheers