jhecpa20
Level 2

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

What do you mean "for a foreign spouse"?  Do you want to file MFS for your client who is a US person with an NRA spouse or filing MFJ?

If MFJ, have you reviewed the downstream implications with your client?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
jhecpa20
Level 2

Thanks for replying. I want to file MFS, but the spouse is a foreigner and have no TIN, can I use something like 999-99-9999 to e-file? The return was rejected. Any other suggestion?

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
  1. Make sure you do not make any entry under General > Client Information for the spouse's SSN;
  2. Under General > Misc. Info./Direct Deposit, click on the Miscellaneous tab; and
  3. Scroll down to the line for Spouse is a nonresident and does not have an SSN/ITIN (MFS Only) and check the box.

If this solves your problem, you may consider marking this the solution to help others who have similar questions.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
jhecpa20
Level 2

Thanks a lot! It works for the federal return. But state returns still need spouse's SSN to e-file. Anyhow, I really appreciate your help!

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
Kpeabody
Level 2

Having a little trouble finding the General > misc. Info/Direct Deposit. Is this for proseries? 

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

@Kpeabody This thread is for ProConnect Tax users.  If you use ProSeries, it works differently.  I recall someone saying you just need to leave the spouse's SSN blank and disable error checking to enable e-filing of these returns in ProSeries.

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers