NY-tax-guy
Level 1

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Use this trick: Check Return > Go to the line or box you want and click that line or box.

Form 990 Part XI line 10: That trick takes you to Depreciation > Enter just like any other asset in the PTO entities. 

There must be some offset to a buildings, land, etc - such as a loan? 

Do you actually have a balance sheet to work from?

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
NY-tax-guy
Level 1

That specific line is not hyperlinked like others are.  I do have a simple balance sheet which is cash plus a few depreciable assets.

That line 10 seems to come from the difference BOY and EOY shown in "Net assets/fund balances at end of year" on the Federal Exempt Organization Tax Summary, which is supposed to equal Form 990 Part XI line 10. It did on the 2018 return, but it does not in the 2019 return right now. So I need to recheck all expenses and balance sheet items. It is off by the amount of net assets at BOY for some reason. 

They converted to QuickBooks from an Excel spreadsheet that was basically a checkbook in 2019. There was a minor difference in the roll of tax assets, so that might be one of the issues causing this.  

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
You are right about the link. I need to clean my glasses, as I was on Schedule X.
Is line 4 correct. Line 10 seems to just be doing the math of 3-9.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
NY-tax-guy
Level 1

Line 4 is the sum of Income and Expense, or net income. After careful analysis, I found it should match the difference between beginning and ending Net assets/fund balances on the Federal Tax Summary if both the beginning and ending balance sheets and income statements are completed correctly, unless there are differences populating lines 5 to 9.

So the balance sheets are driving the Federal Tax Summary number on the bottom right hand side of the page and the Income Statement is equal to or reconcilable to Form 990 Part XI line 10. The error message is a bit vague on directing to where the error is, but looking at the prior year return was helpful.  

I found out the expenses given to me had some accruals and this is supposed to cash basis. I reversed the accruals and everything is equal now. 

0 Cheers