Level 5
@sjrcpa I believe the IRS does not require the spouse tax ID since 1040NR cannot jointly filed, but the state requires spouse tax id (for example, VA) when it is MFS. I would think it is better to apply for ITIN for spouse as well using the "other" reason, they need ITIN for bank withholding per tax treaty purpose as well.
Click this link to vote. Like many good things in life, we have to fight for them.
0 Cheers